letter from congregation

by by grace 33 Replies latest jw friends

• by grace
    by grace

Hi all, I've been gone for a little while, but I'm back and I wanted to get some opinions. Back in April I told you guys that I sent out my DA letter to the congregation, our family, and some of our witness friends. Well, we got a letter in response from two elders by certified mail. I'll share it with you, and you tell me what you think, OK????

Here it is:

We wish to extend again an offer to meet with you in order to discuss the issues you raised in your April 25, 2005 letter with various members of the XXXXXXX Congregation. All of us are saddened by your decision to separate from the congregation. No one is elated over it except those who are not Christian Witnesses of Jehovah.

Jehovah's Witnesses and the members of the Watchtower Society love people---all people. Indeed, that is evident in their persistent global outreach with the message of God's kingdom under the Lord Jesus Christ. Who else is demonstrating a love for all humanity at that level? But like the Early Christians, the Witnesses suffer a public image problem. One university history text reports this about the Early Christians: "...the exclusiveness of Christianity, its unwillingness to admit that there might be truth in other religions, had irritated tolerant Romans." (Joseph R. Strayer, hans W. Gatzke, E. Harris Harbison; The Course of Civilization, Volume One [1961], page 146). When Jesus said: "...This is why I have said to you, No one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father," the religious Jews took that as arrogance, presumptuousness and untrue. (John 6:65). Such thinking is not popular even now. We are certain you recall Jesus' words to the religious Jews at Matthew 23. Notwithstanding, Jesus died for all who would put faith in his sacrifice and subject themselves to his direction. (John 3:16). Many accept Christ as their savior, but on their terms. Their fate is unmistakenably described in the Bible. (Matthew 7:21-27).

A host of scriptures spell out clearly how members of the congregation are to behave toward those who depart; we are certain you are familiar with these Bible passages. Despite our love for both of you, our love for Jehovah is greater and it determines how we must behave towards you. The time that has elapsed since you mailed out your letter of resignation and our communique to you shows that we are not anxious to lose you.

XXXXXXX and XXXXXXXX, we respectfully request that you please respond to us by May 31, 2005.

Your brothers,

So, what do you guys think I should say back???????????

I appreciate your input!!

Love, by grace

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Jehovah's Witnesses and the members of the Watchtower Society love people---all people. Indeed, that is evident in their persistent global outreach with the message of God's kingdom under the Lord Jesus Christ. Who else is demonstrating a love for all humanity at that level?

Possible response:

JWs are by no means the only religion that is doing a Christian preaching work. My observation would be that there are over 2 billion Christians in the world. Of those only 7 million are JWs. That tells me that JWs are responsible for 0.35% of the total number of people who have become Christian. The fact that the other Christian religions are responsible for 99.65% of the total number of Christian adherents tells me that the other Christian religions are doing, by far, the bulk of the ministry work.

Who else is demonstrating a love for all humanity at that level? Most certainly not JWs. Aside from printing books and magazines, I have never seen the WTS do any form of charitable work for non-JWs unless the charitable act directly or indirectly benefited JWs. Even the books and magazines are meant for converting new people to the religion - I would not describe that as a 100% selfless act. I have never seen the WTS offer any form of food, clothing or shelter to anyone who was not a JW. Yes, the WTS has sent many truckloads of provisions to areas struck by disasters, but the vast majority of those provisions were meant to be used only by JWs. The WTS once donated a fire truck to the city of Paterson NY. Yes, that was a charitable act, however, the only reason the donation was made was to get the necessary zoning permits so they could build the Watchtower Paterson facility. Once again, not a totally selfless act. I have also seen situations where the WTS donated equipment and training to hospitals for the purpose of doing medical procedures without blood products. This also was not a totally selfless act. It is clear that these donations were made primarily for the benefit of other JWs.

Just once I would like to see the WTS "demonstrating a love for all humanity" that is a totally selfless act and which does not benefit other JWs.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

your guys didnt read the playbook..........and they sure aint 'christians'....

~Hill

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    your guys didnt read the playbook..........and they sure aint 'christians'....

Actually, that is exactly why I kept pushing the "christian" word over and over in relation to non-JW religions.

Every time ya do that, it's like elbowing them in the side.

Something that is fun to point out to JWs is that there is such a thing as Freedom of Religion and Freedom of Speech. This means that anyone can describe himself as being in whatever religion he wants and no one can deny him this. Anyway, last I checked, the WTS does not have a trademark on the word "Christian" (or "True Christian" for that matter).

• rebel8
    rebel8

I swear I've read that 2nd paragraph (of the letter you received) in literature somewhere. Couldn't find it on their official site, but I swear it's a direct quote out of some literature...possibly a brochure. Someone said the same thing on the VH1 forum in the same manner (not putting it in quotes or citing a piece of literature it came from).

• mapleaf18
    mapleaf18

that's exactly why my DA letter was approx 2 sentences long. no need to open a weasle hole for them to try and crawl into. and it's none of their biz why one DAs themselves anyway. any other religion/church would just accept a single letter stating that "i no longer wish to be a member." end of story

maybe i would write back just stating simply that "we agree to disagree" and have a nice day.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

well at least they acknowledged your letter and have extended an invitation to discuss..that is more than many get..and they are prepared to make an effort to try and readjust you before just dismissing by reading the letter...this in itself would seem to throw doubt on any organized effort towards a witch hunt

if you are going to discuss anything with them then may i suggest this...

A host of scriptures spell out clearly how members of the congregation are to behave toward those who depart;
    ask them where this host of scriptures is...ask them to show you in the bible.not in the literature..ought to be easy enough to find a host
  • Crumpet
    Crumpet
    XXXXXXX and XXXXXXXX, we respectfully request that you please respond to us by May 31, 2005.

Its June 10 - maybe they aren't expecting a response and have made a public announcement by now.

• by grace
    by grace
    I swear I've read that 2nd paragraph (of the letter you received) in literature somewhere. Couldn't find it on their official site, but I swear it's a direct quote out of some literature...possibly a brochure. Someone said the same thing on the VH1 forum in the same manner (not putting it in quotes or citing a piece of literature it came from).

I figured when I read it that it was a quote from somewhere, nothing is done by the individual, once the b0rg always the b0rg. Yes?

• by grace
    by grace

Does anyone know why I can only access this thread under active topics, and it doesn't show up at all under the Friends thread????

I seem to have problems with this website.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit