Does watchtower society support any charity??

by Podiatrist 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Podiatrist
    Podiatrist

Just wondering, do you know of any??

• John Doe
    John Doe

I never personally witnessed it, but I they used to tell us about disaster reliefs that witnesses were involved in, such as hurricanes in the gulf states. As far as I know, they don't formally support any charities.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Not to my knowledge.

Because they regard themselves as God's only channel for dealing with mankind, they do not support any external charity; religious or non-religious.

Eyeslice

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

I made a similar thread a few days ago, and nearly everyone said that any donations or profits go directly to the WTBTS for more publications or...whatever. They seem to disregard the fact that we have to survive in 'this' world, not simply strive for some kingdom that will most likely never exist. They live in a fantasy land. Let's call it Exclusionia.

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

They don't support any charity. They think of their door-to-door service as the greatest charity work. In fact if you were a real sincer jw, you shouldn't be a part of any charity work. Rather you should conduct a bible study to convert that person. At least that was how my congregation thought then.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I used to get a lot of attitude for volunteer work I did for charities when I stopped going out on the preach. Now I sponsor a child and am running my own charity, and I am not going to tell my witness people about it, they'd be annoyed that the money isn't going into the kingdom hall fund.

It was always so frustrating that the only thing worth improving in people's lives was their spirituality... that helping them learn to read or make a living or find water or build sanitation was too short-term. Most witnesses personally wouldn't even consider it, and if the organisation ever did, you could be sure that they'd make a big deal of it. Every truckload of used clothing that made it through some despots border crossing would have a circuit assembly closing talk remark made about it, from what I remember.

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

Unless tings have changed Im sure that (at least in the UK) they ARE a registered charity themselves.

• Podiatrist
    Podiatrist

Thank you sass, very interesting indeed.

Reason I’ve asked was because my mom tells me that a witness would be “disciplined” for going to Salvation Army for food when they didn’t have any. Rather weird, don’t you think.?!?

Which brings me to very strange case of immigrant witnesses left virtually out on cold because they couldn’t attend meetings regularly, whatever that means. Apparently, man was even imprisoned for refusing to go to army in his native country, both were full time evangelizers. They’ve got a baby now and church elders are so freakin cold that even I and my hubby felt creeps going down our spines. Anyway, we are now trying to help them. So much for “brotherly love”, whatever that means.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I have never seen the WTS provide any charitable funding or support for anything that did not directly or indirectly support Jehover's Witnesses… everything they do is to help themselves.

Things like helping hurricane victims... I grew up in an area affected by tornados and hurricanes and I know for a fact that all of those truck loads of aid were distributed only to Jehover's Witnesses. Occasionally a few "scraps" and "leftovers" were given to non-JWs. I have also seen the WTS donate "blood recycling" and "blood saving" medical equipment and medical training to hospitals - the main purpose meant to benefit JWs who refuse blood products. In regard to the Paterson NY facility, the WTS donated a new fire truck to the city for the purpose of getting the needed zoning changes so they could build the facility. In the Brooklyn NY area (Bethel) the WTS has been known to use their people (the no-wage slaves) to do "community improvement work" in exchange for getting needed zoning changes so they can build their buildings.

I have NEVER seen the WTS donate anything to anyone where they did not expect to benefit from it. I have NEVER seen the WTS donate food and medicine to people who were not JWs.

Just once I'd like to see the WTS donate food, medicine and housing to starving people in need - without expecting anything in return.

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

The official WT policy is below. Notice mention of helping JWs only, not non-members. Also the Salvation Army is viewed as a religion by JWs. So shopping at the SA store or participating in SA charity would be akin to interfaith. See quote following.

Organized to Do Jehovah's Will page 131-133

CARING FOR THE POOR

One purpose of the money box maintained by Jesus and his disciples was to help the poor. (Mark 14:3-5; John 13:29) That Christian responsibility has continued, for Jesus said: "You always have the poor with you." (Mark 14:7) How do Jehovah's Witnesses discharge their responsibility in this regard today?

At times, faithful ones in the congregation may be in need of material assistance because of advanced age, infirmity, or some adversity beyond their control. Individuals in the congregation who become aware of such a need may feel moved to act in harmony with the words of the apostle John: "Whoever has this world's means for supporting life and beholds his brother having need and yet shuts the door of his tender compassions upon him, in what way does the love of God remain in him? Little children, let us love, neither in word nor with the tongue, but in deed and truth." (1 John 3:17,18; 2 Thess. 3:6-12) True worship includes looking after faithful and loyal ones who may be in need of material assistance. —Jas. 1:27; 2:14-17.

In his first letter to Timothy, the apostle Paul explained how material assistance may be provided to deserving ones. You can read his counsel at 1 Timothy 5:3-21. The primary responsibility rests with each Christian to care for the needs of his own household. Older or infirm ones should receive assistance from their children, grandchildren, or other close relatives. At times, material assistance is available through governmental or social agencies, so relatives or others may show kindness in helping the needy one to make proper requests for such assistance. A situation may arise where it might become necessary for the congregation as a whole to consider providing some form of assistance to certain needy brothers and sisters who have a long history of faithful service. If there are no family members or other relatives to assist such ones and no adequate assistance from governmental or social agencies is available, the body of elders can make appropriate recommendations to provide some help. Faithful Christians consider it a privilege to share their material possessions with these ones in times of need.

Many of our brothers may come to be in need because of persecution, wars, earthquakes, floods, famines, or other calamitous occurrences that are common in these critical times. (Matt. 24:7-9) On such occasions, local congregations may not have anything to share with one another, so the Governing Body coordinates the efforts of brothers elsewhere to provide what is needed. This is similar to the way Christians in Asia Minor provided food for the brothers in Judea during a time of famine. (1 Cor. 16:1-4; 2 Cor. 9:1-5) By following their example, we confirm our love for our brothers and show ourselves to be genuine disciples of Jesus Christ. —John 13:35.

Watchtower 1962 9/1 pp. 537-541 Do You Know the Salvation Army?

DOCTRINES AND BELIEFS

The goal of the Salvationist is to win converts. "The belief in sudden conversion is ‘in his blood’—anywhere, any time, any person," a Salvation booklet explains. Even social and relief work is part of a program that keeps the Salvation Army religion before the minds of the public. But what are their doctrines and beliefs? Are they based upon the Bible?

The teachings of the Salvation Army are almost identical with those of most fundamental Protestant churches. The third of the eleven cardinal affirmations that every convert must sign to become a Salvationist, says: "We believe that there are three persons in the Godhead, the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost, undivided in essence and coequal in power and glory." And the eleventh affirms: "We believe in the immortality of the soul . . . and in the endless punishment of the wicked." The Faith of the Salvationist explains: "The Salvationist believes in Hell. His vocabulary contains the phrase ‘eternally lost’ though he may refrain from the vivid and imaginative language of his forbears when speaking on this subject."

Although many who have supported it in various ways may have viewed the Salvation Army as merely a social-welfare organization, a closer look reveals that it is primarily a religious movement having its own set of doctrines and teachings. And even though many of its officers and soldiers may display exemplary zeal, the message they carry to the people concerning Christ and man’s hope for the future is not based on an accurate knowledge of God’s Word.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit