What is better? An orange or an lightbulb?

by Sparkplug 16 Replies latest jw friends

• ivy
    ivy

While I was reading this post my son read it over my shoulder. He's a bit more cautious than I was at his age, and we recently had a conversation about it. He remembered what I had said and repeated it back to me. "I would rather regret the things I have done...." (I know, I should just be thankful that he's not getting into all the trouble that I did. Instead I worry that he's missing out on life).

I wish I could take credit for the quote. I wasn't sure, but a little research shows that Lucille Ball said it before me. It's so true.

As prophecor has pointed out. Sometimes our greatest missteps are our best experiences.

• prophecor
    prophecor

....you could make sawing my leg off with a rusty knife sound so yummy!

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i know what i did

i know what i did not do

im not proud of what i did

but what i didnt do gets me through

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

I'm a total bumbler myself...constantly throwing myself off one cliff after another, thinking afterward, "Oh, man, never gonna do that again!!!..............................well, okay, maybe just once more...it's bound to turn out better this time."

I'm a hopeful romantic doncha know?

~Merry

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

life is meant to be lived - we make mistakes, we hopefully learn from them, move on. live your best life. be happy with who you are, what you have, try new things, wear suntan lotion, play, cry, laugh.....take the good with the bad & give thanks for both.

So enjoy living.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

my mum is always critisising me for being impulsive and doing lots of things that dont work out. But I always argue back that id rather have 100 ideas and one of them be a cracker - cos not every idea is gonna be a great one. At least I am out there generating ideas, trying stuff, having a go. And I dont mind looking like a pratt 99% of the time, because when I have a good idea that works out its fantastic.

My last big idea was I fell in love with an armed robber. Well my marriage fell apart, I quit my job and we sold the house so I had nowhere to live, but on the plus side I got to leave the truth, I got divorced, and then I found an even better job, and an even better partner! So who's to say it was a bad idea when it had such good results??!!

• Sirona
    Sirona

Spark:

I understand completely!

Actually LIVING is so important. The problem is, living involves taking some chances and opening yourself up to possibly being hurt.

I think I'm fairly balanced in most things, but where I am not balanced is I can't seem to manage money in the best way. Don't get me wrong, all my bills get paid....but what I do find is that I will spend money in order to DO things and sometimes it isn't the wisest choice. Just one example, years ago my husband and I got some money and rather than putting the money towards a sensible cause, we simply went to Canada and had the holiday of a lifetime. I don't regret it ONE BIT. However, I know that if I wasn't such a spend thrift I'd probably be living in a detached larger house or something instead of the terraced / town house I'm living in.

Even this house doesn't seem to matter to me much. I can't be bothered with decorating - although its all nice and clean, I just don't want to spend my money on decorating when I could be spending it on trips to the lakes with my husband and the dog, for instance.

I guess in part this attitude stems from having had cancer at a young age. THings pale into insignificance. You sort of think "I've got the chance to go xyz for £xxx and I can't afford it.....damn it I will use my credit card. I could be dead next year" I know it is highly likely I won't be dead next year, but I have a live for now attitude pretty much, because you don't know whats gonna happen.

So you're OK....carry on! LOL

Sirona

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit