kicking my habit...

by kittyeatzjdubs 17 Replies latest jw friends

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

well........i'm proud to say that i have gone approximately 1 day and 15 hours without a cigarette...i think yesterday was the worst of it...but god was it bad!!! the puppy peed on the floor and i got so pissed that i smacked him in the face... matt looked at me like i had lost my mind. i felt like the world's most awful person so i picked the poor baby up and cuddled him for an hour or so, kissing him and scritching his little ears.........so matt started playing his video game which has never ever ever bothered me before, b/c we play them together more often than not...but for some reason, it pissed me off last night...so i went into the kitchen and started banging stuff around just cussing like a sailor. matt says, ''are you ok?''

''i'm fine! why the f#%k wouldn't i be??''

''ummmmmm....you want some of my nicorette gum?''

''NO! WHY DO YOU DO THIS EVERY NIGHT? PLAY YOUR STUPID VIDEO GAMES?? I KEEP THINKING THAT MAYBE ONE NIGHT WE MIGHT SPEND SOME QUALITY TIME TOGETHER...BUT NOOOOOOOO!!! YOU GOTTA PLAY MIDNIGHT CLUB!!!..........''

(which i bought for him)

so he finally conviced me to have a beer, eat some dinner and go lay down for awhile...i slept for about 2 hours, and when i woke up i felt better. matt was so sweet about it all though...he's tried to quit plenty of times and he knows how it is. when we finally went to bed, he laid there and rubbed my back and told me how much he loved me and how proud of me he was... i'm mainly doing this for matt anyway...he made a deal with me that if i could go 7 days...he'd quit too...i've only smoked for 8 years. from when i was 13, till now. but matt's turning 30 this year and he's been smoking since he was 17...so that's.......13 years!!!! he's around 2 packs a day...not good at all!!!

so 2 questions for you ex-smoker's out there...#1. How do i keep from being such a beast? and #2. How can i prevent gaining weight?

any support is greatly appreciated!!!

luv, jojo

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

jojo-

I guess we can be in this together. I have 1 pack left out of a cartoon. After that, I quit too! Unfortunately, I can see myself become worse than satan on a bad day! I really dread it, but I promised my daughter I would. There's suppose to be some 800# you can call and listen to their talk and they will send you two months of patches or gum. I'll see if I can find the number. I guess I'll stock up on chocolate and dumb-dumb suckers.

I'll make you a deal--I'll let you go off on me when you need to & visa versa.

It's gonna be a llllooonngg week!

shelley

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Kitty- well done on your resolve to quit. The thing that helped me most was Allen Carrs easyway to give up smoking - its easy to read and I found I gave up for 6 months and beyond the first day or two didnt find it hard at all - even in social circumstances which I was dreading.

However a word of caution - I gave up mainly for the same reason as you becuasemy partner is approaching 40, coughs a lot and I knew if I quit he would. So we both did. Unfortunately I relaxed my awareness and forgot how addictive the little blighters can be and I had one at a party and things went down hill, slowly but surely from there.

I'm now at the stage I don't think i can quit - at least not at this stage in my life. I only smoke in the evening when I'm having a drink - so probably a pack of 20 every other night. My partner smokes less but has also restarted. What I'm trying to say is I think it might not work giving up for someone else's health - you have to do if for your own sake and no one elses!

As for weight gain - this is untrue. Smoking does not keep your weight down. Some of the fattest people I know are smokers (me included). DO not believe it. Eat as you normally do - if you need to do something oral chew on a chopstick or chew normal gum.

My best advice would be to get the book and also to do this for you not your partner, but by the way he sounds adorable. I wish I had someone like that who would love me, rub my back and be proud of me! Maybe then I would give up smoking!

Best of luck kitty!

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

sounds good to me shelley! i'll be sending positive no smoking vibes your way!!!!

jesus....i do believe i looked exactly like your avatar yesterday.

luv, jojo

• a friend in need
    a friend in need

jojo ... been there done that. After many, many tries I've been able to quit smoking. I studied up on it though. Seems some of us have addictive personalities. That's why some people can quit quite easily and others really suffer.

I strongly recommend any help you can get. The patch worked for me. It helps to decrease the terrible mood swings. I used it for three months and then used nicorette gum for nine months, and quit that when the year was up.

It helps if your partner does not smoke around you. Other people smoking around me didn't bother me but for some reason I couldn't stand the sight of my husband smoking. It will soon be four years for me and I can honestly say I never think about smoking anymore. A lot of it is your mindset too and as time goes by (believe it or not) it is of no importance anymore.

Avoid the weight gain by walking or jogging every chance you get and drink LOTS of water when you get back home. It has an endorphin effect.

Wishing you all the best and hang in there!

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs
    It helps if your partner does not smoke around you.

yeah...matt's really good about that. he either goes in the other room or outside. he's being extra supportive.

luv, jojo

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

AFIN

Good advice!

Exercise, even walking and water.

Also, I know you might find this odd, try wearing a ruber band on your wrist. I found that I no longer had anything to do with my hands when I stopped. Having the band there I could play with it, as the urge went away.

Good luck.

steve

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

i keep a ball of silly putt at my desk! i've also found that chewing on pens is comforting.

luv, jojo

• Ellie
    Ellie

Have you ever considered geting pregnant?

Ok, it may not be the best motive behind having a baby but its worked for me twice.

Both times, the same day I have concieved I have gone completely off smoking, to the point where the smell of a cigarette makes me feel instantly sick.

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

haha! that was my plan at first that i would quit when i got pregnant...but since i'm not planning on it till i'm like 25, matt said it might be easier to quit now.

luv, jojo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit