Need Advice / Experience w/ drug abuse

by LyinEyes 16 Replies latest jw friends

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I have a friend that was/is hooked on methamphetamine, not sure what eles,,,,,,,probably a little bit of other street drugs.

We are taking him to a Pshc. Doctor on thursday because he suffers from panic attacks as well. He has suffered with those for all of his life. His drug use has been for 20 years , and it has escaladed into drugs used with needles.

I watched a show on HBO about meth uses,,,,,,,,and it was so sad. Only 6 % of meth users stay clean and sober,,,,,,,that is horrible such a low rate of success off the drug.

These people on the show , say no one wants to be a meth addict when they grow up, they want to stop........but they can't.

Then the Doctors talked on the show , saying it is the hardest drug to ever get off of. Talked of how it ages your body, eats your brain away, literally, just so sad.

I grew up with my Mother addicted to pain pills, I know about addiction, I know what AA says, but I am starting to understand that these street drugs especially meth,,,,,,,,is a demon that wont let go.

If you have any suggestions, any experiences with someone you love who had this problem, or does, please tell me about it.

Have you heard of any medications that doctors can prescribe to make the cravings not so bad? I know they give Methadone to Heroion addicts, but not sure what they do in meth cases.

I have my doubts that he will stop using for good.........sometimes he has left it alone but he usually always goes back.

We have done the intervention thing, he knows he is loved, we have all cried begging him to stop. But I just wonder how far gone does one get that even thou they know they will die, even thou they know they are hurting the ones who love them, they still can't shake this drug.

Just any , input might help, it might help me with things to talk to the Dr, about.

Thanks , Dede

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier
    Only 6 % of meth users stay clean and sober,,,,,,,that is horrible such a low rate of success off the drug.

This rate of recovery is similar to alcoholsm especially those who have inerited the disease.

You mentioned methodone. It's more like replacing one drug with another in a controlled environment.

Unfortunately addiction recovery, no matter what the addiction, is a revolving door of control, abstinance, and relapse.

Continue to love him. Know that it is a disease that he is powerless over, until he becomes willing to become willing. I know, doublespeak, but that's part of the paradox of addiction vs recovery.

However, continue to take care of yourselves. Alanon was developed for those with alcoholic spouses or friends. CoDA is for codependents, and both have helped me tremendously, in addition to my own alcoholism recovery with AA.

((((( Dede )))))) (((((( Dede's Family ))))))

Love ya

Bren

• Chloe
    Chloe

Unfortunately, I have learned more about this drug than I ever wanted to know because I found out my husband was using. Claims he's been clean now for 6 months, but his mind is still totally a mess.

Try this website for starters. http://sfjaye.freewebspace.com/custom2.html It's called How a Meth Addict Thinks and Feels. You'll probably have to copy the address because I'm computer illiterate. There's also a discussion board out there but I can't find the address right now.

I go to NarAnon meetings. They're specifically for friends and family of drug users. They've helped a lot. In my group, everyone is there because of meth.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Thanks Brenda for your support and wise words, you are such a jewel of a person, I always value your input.

I have been looking up so much info here on the net and even went to some addiction sites, Meth addicts sites.

It doesnt look good,,,,,,,like you said,,,,,,,,relapses.

We are trying to make a plan,,,,,,,,,,first the doctor, if he goes on a self destructive bender again, we are talking of putting him in rehab. I hope if we can do that , something there may help him. It will probably be group therapy that will work the best , if he can find a sponser , a friend who is clean and sober and one that fits his personality.

I think he is trying to stay straight for now, he was in a lot of trouble this last time, but he has hit rock bottom more than once. In his case I swear he has hit rock bottom many times,,,,,,,things happened that he could have died . But as far as hitting rock bottom and wanting to stop for good, and change ,,,,,,,,I dont know if that will ever happen. I just hope and support his family, and take each day as it comes. So I hope this Dr. can start the healing process. But knowing him,,,,,,,,he will probably get pissed at the dr. especially if he doesnt prescribe the Xanax........which he really does have panic attacks. I have known him since he was 14 and he had them then, before anyone really had a name for it.

Thanks Brenda, it helps to talk to someone ya know..........hugs , Dede

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

Dede:

I have an older sister who is hooked on meth and has been for over 10 years. She went through about 5 rehabs and near death experiences until she hit bottom and usually when they (the addicts) totally hit bottom, lose all their friends and resources is when they actually apply any of the steps in rehab and start to really fight the addiction. A lot of addicts will try the "fake it until they make it" approach thinking it may work. My sister stayed clean for a 5 to 7 years and then for some reason got the dumb idea that she could just try a little and then just leave it alone and kind of control it but it consumed her again.

I dont know if she is clean now as she has turned into somebody I dont know or trust anymore and I can't stand what she has become. Getting free from the drug IS POSSIBLE but it will be a continuous fight for the rest of the addicts life.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

((( Dede )))

I had a difficult time understanding relapse as part of the recovery process. This was until my sponsor had me meet her at a meeting that I'd never been to. That day it happened to be a memorial service for a long-time member who had died of a heroin overdose. The man couldn't string together more than 6 months clean at a time.

Several things came out of that meeting for me. The biggest one was someone once asked him why he kept coming back after his relapses. His response was that his time clean and his time with the fellowship were the happiest he'd ever been.

If your friend, and his family, and you, can stay out of the guilt and shame, then anything is possible.

PS. I bounced along my bottom for a while before I finally "got it"!

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Today I have 11 clean off meth. I've been doing this for a couple years. I used to beat myself up when I'd relapse. But this time I lost my family. After 11 months my daughter is finally talking to me like before. I've gone to 2 rehabs, left early both times. They tell me I'm bipolar. I'm struggling with that and taking medication. I lost my nursing license 2 years ago for drug diversion. Hell, I'd been doing diuladids for a long time.

I'm trying to do it right this time. I go to NA meetings, use my sponsor, meditate and do everything I'm told, no matter if I want to or not. Being around these sites helps alot. I'm finding friends. For a long time, I isolated from everyone cause I didn't trust myself. I found I had to start forgiving. I was eat up with bitterness.

He's going to need alot of love and support. He needs you to love him when he can't love himself. The mental health dr. should be able to connect him with some programs that will health. Usually the medication is a hit and miss thing. He may not get it right the first time. Keep working with the doctor.

It's good that he has support. The last year, it's been a long road on my own. But I guess that's what it took for me. I think my punishment was having to leave Texas and move to Oklahoma to clean up.

And it's going to be just as hard on you. You can't fix him. He has to do it.If you ever need just to talk, my email is [email protected]

shelley

• delilah
    delilah

My husband was a crystal-meth addict for about 15 years...his method was to shoot up....every time he did, he knew he could die...but he needed the drug...and he could not shake it. His entire family begged him and pleaded with him to stop, go to rehab...but he couldn't do it...he was weak and sick...when he was high, he wanted to quit.....he went to jail for theft, to get the drugs...he robbed his own grandmother for the drugs. The crowd he hung with were all users, and thieves...just to get the damn drugs!!! The only way out for him was to leave the city behind....his druggie friends....he called his aunt in Vancouver Canada...and he never looked back.He quit cold-turkey, and although it was hell for him, he did it...he grew up in southern California, and it was very hard for him to leave his family behind. But he knew he'd die if he didn't get out of there....he has never even been tempted to use again...he is repulsed by it, and will never look back. He lost two very good friends to crystal-meth, and it saddens him, especially his best friend...he was on the waiting list for rehab, when he od'd....I'll never forget the phone call.....his cousin in Vancouver is a heroin addict, and is in the same boat, trying rehab again...she was a beautiful girl, now a skeleton....sick, and virtually dying....i only hope this time she will be strong enough to kick the habit...she has the love of her entire family backing her up....hopefully it will be enough this time.Good luck to your friend, I wish you all the best...it's a long hard road to recovery, but if your friend is determined to kick this habit, he will do it..he has to have the desire and the willpower...and the love and support of friends and family. Keep your chin up...thinking of you..keep us posted please...I'm so glad my husband was finally strong enough to break free. Thankfully, we were able to have 3 beautiful, and healthy children as well....

Delilah

• gringojj
    gringojj

I was a die hard heroin junky for about 7 years. Jail, institutions and near death didnt make me stop. I just woke up one day and decided i wanted to quit. It was a long road. After almost 2 years clean and sober i have no idea what to tell an addict. For me it was about accountability. I was responsible for my life, for better or worse.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

((((((( all of you ))))))), I am so happy to hear that some of you lived it and made it to the other side . This is going to be hard , because I don't think he is going to give it up. Deep in my heart, I just feel he isnt going to turn it loose. Maybe , I just got a bad feeling. I think he is buying his time, until he can break away and run again.

Thanks for the support and I may be sending some of you some PM's as time goes on........I swear I hope I have good news, I know it will always be something he will crave, but God , I hope he can make it .

Love you all,,,,,Dede

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit