SMURFS: Do all JWs think they're evil?

by sonnyboy 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

I'm wondering if there are any urban legends passed around at your former (or current) hall, like the one we had about Smurfs.

An elder told us that Smurfs were created by Satan worshipers and were evil. He then told us about a young girl who brought a plush Smurf doll to service at a local hall. Supposedly, Papa Smurf jumped from the girls lap and walked out during prayer.

After that I begged my parents for a magical walking Papa Smurf doll, but they said it was too evil to bring into the house.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    Supposedly, Papa Smurf jumped from the girls lap and walked out during prayer.

Most witnesses don't even question this type of stupid rumor either. I'm speechless...

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

Most people didn't question it; everyone was all agasp.

I was sort of excited by the fact that Satan could bring toys to a whole new level.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

about 15 years back during a CO slide show visit I sneeked out the back of the hall and put on my pappa smurf outfit, then sneeked back inot the hall without anyone noticing me.

What a suprised everyone got when the lights came back on and I shouted 'what a load of crap' and stormed out.

steve

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Supposedly, Papa Smurf jumped from the girls lap and walked out during prayer.

Hmmm...god know's how many times I wanted to jump up and leave....a stuffed Smurf is smarter than me.

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

I followed Papa's example long ago.

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, in my area this idea about smurfs jumping and talking was viewed with suspicion. It was impossible to pinpoint where the story started and who originally experienced it. 99.9% of the JWs viewed it as unfounded gossip that if passed along made JWs look like fools and idiots. There was even a talk at the DC debunking this rumor. I can't speak for the whole US but around here you were viewed as having a screw loose if you believed this. I will also say that there was no spiritistic issue with going to garage sales or Goodwill and worrying out demons. People with stories like that were viewed as sensationalists who craved attention.

Blondie

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I sure heard about the "Smurf jumping up and walking out" story even way up here! I don't think that anyone actually believed this, but I never asked them!

I do know that Smurfs (in this area anyway) are seen as a no-no and the JW kiddies weren't allowed to watch the cartoon. (up front anyway!) So whether or not it was deserved---the Smurfs were shunned!

Annie

• luna2
    luna2

I had no idea that Smurfs were viewed as such satanic objects. I must have missed that meeting or something.

In northern IL, where I was baptized, they didn't talk about demonized garage sale items either. There was talk that certain pagan or spritistic items (tarot cards, ouiji boards, dungeons and dragons game pieces, etc..) could be demonized, but I don't remember anybody being worried about used stuff from second hand stores or garage sales. Heck, hitting garage sales was one CO's wife's favorite way to pad service time.

• Netty
    Netty

I left before the whole smurf stuff came about. But, my dad was an elder, and I guess it was just the neck of the woods we were in, but yikes, did we ever hear all kinds of stories about demonzied stuff. I can't tell you how many times he was called out in the middle of the night to different peoples homes, who had "items" that were demonized, people who saw demons, all kinds of crap. My dad had a shirt that was apparently demonized. We realy grew up with fear of the demons, that's for sure.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit