Would you go?

by Mysterious 34 Replies latest jw friends

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Would you go to a funeral at a kingdom hall? And if you'd go what would it take to get you there? Would it have to be someone that is very close family or just an acquaintance?

I dont know that JW funerals really off ther much closer and point blank I can not think of a single person I would go to the hall for. I simply do not need the JW preachy ceremony to say goodbye to anyone. A private funeral at a funeral home would be another story entirely for me.

I wouldnt want to be seen like I dont care about those left behind but I simply would not want to go..

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes - just as I would go to one in a catholic church (and I have done so)

• garybuss
    garybuss
    Would you go to a funeral at a kingdom hall?

Yes!

And if you'd go what would it take to get you there?

I'd have to be in the casket . . .

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

lol gary, hopefully we wont have to arrange that.

stillajwexelder, I wouldnt have a problem going to one in another church. I regret deeply I didnt go to the funeral in the baptist church when my friend commited suicide. But being a jw then I couldnt go.

• Sith
    Sith

I pondered this question for a long time. I've been "out" for many years, while my mother and sisters remained "in". Recently, my mother became terminally ill, and I knew she was going to have a witness funeral. I had to make a decision about how I would handle it...and how I would conduct myself...when the time came.

When all was said and done, I bit my lip. I stayed in her hospital room for the three days she lay dying. I greeted the JW well-wishers graciously. I bowed my head when they said prayers over her. I was there in her hospital room when she died.

Every fiber of my being wanted me to scream out the truth. When the "sister" who brought our family into the "truth" prayed over my mother's dying body, and prayed that I would come back into the "fold", I almost hit her.

I felt alienated and humiliated. I wanted to speak up about how these people had lied to my mother and wasted her life...and wasted much of mine in the process. In the end, I shut up, held my tongue and went through the motions, because it was all about my mother and what she believed.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich
    - just as I would go to one in a catholic church (and I have done so)

I went to my great grandmothers that was held in a Prsbyterian chrch and caught hell from my mother...

Then later on I found out she had went to a Weight Watchers meeting in a church...

I was like "Mom, WTF?"

• Mysterious
    Mysterious
    Then later on I found out she had went to a Weight Watchers meeting in a church...

I was like "Mom, WTF?"

And I bet she said something about how because it wasnt of a religious nature it wasnt interfaith or something.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

(((((((((((((Sith))))))))))))))

I don't know how you did it, but that was an awsome display of love and respect for your mom.

J

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    In the end, I shut up, held my tongue and went through the motions, because it was all about my mother and what she believed.

I guess that is what it is all about. it is easy to say "Hell no, I wont go" but life sometimes involves doing things because of others , especially at times like that

• hubert
    hubert

I would go, even just for the experience.

I went to two Kingdum Hall weddings, because it was family, (on my wife's side), and I used this experience to compare with the way other religions do wedding ceremonies.

Of course, the j.w. weddings didn't even compare to other "Christiandom" religious ceremonies.

I did go to a service at a funeral home that was "taken over" by the j-dubs, and it was pathetic, so I can imagine how it would be at a kingdum hall.

Hubert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit