What books have made you cry?

by Fe2O3Girl 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

Bonus points if you don't mention WT publications!!

The first book that ever made me cry was The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. Most recently, I was reduced to a blubbering wreck reading The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom. I think that was mainly because I was feeling emotional anyway, and the book is a confection of shameless maudlin button pressing. I prefer the heaven concept of Alice Sebold's The Lovely Bones, and I don't recall that making me cry.

So - what books made you cry?

Rachel

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Do apostate books count?

Crisis of Conscience.

GBL

• luna2
    luna2

The very first book that made me cry was Babar. The part about his mother being shot by a hunter was horrible. The next one that I can remember was Little Women. I sobbed and sobbed when Beth died...I think I was 11 or 12 at the time.

I don't cry much at books these days, maybe because I purposely choose recreation that entertains me by making me laugh. I did read one not too long ago that really touched me, though, Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

oh lets see,

Charlottes Web (poor wittle spider)
    Where the red fern grows (poor little puppy)
    High School year book (poor little nerd)

Sorry I try not to red sad stuff any more.

• Sirona
    Sirona

The Colour Purple by Alice Walker (which also made me laugh - great book).

• Kaethra
    Kaethra

Someone shot Babar's mom??! I thought it was sad when Bambi's mom was killed, but elephants are endangered. That IS sad. ;)

As a young girl - I wept over the two Emily of New Moon books - L.M. Montgomery. Also Little Women. A good cry is a wonderful thing. I'm now re-reading the Lovely Bones for my little book club. I find it sadder this time around for some reason.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

The Flowers In The Attic series by V. C Andrews.

I read all those books years ago when I was in high school; once I started the first one I couldn't put them down. The motion picture adaption of the first book in the series was a complete disappointment.

• Swan
    Swan

Most recent recollections are:

A Father's Touch

Snow Falling on Cedars

Stones from the River

And strangely, a Robert Crais mystery, Voodoo River

• patio34
    patio34

A Patch of Blue (made into a movie with Sydney Poitier, I think)

Midnight Club by James Patterson

Bridges of Madison County

I Am David (a movie, but was also a book)

1000 Men and a Baby (sorry, true TV show about a Korean baby cared for by a ship of navy men with Richard Thomas)

Fortune's Rocks

The Time Traveler's Wife (very touching, but didn't actually cry) by Audrey Neffenneger

The Shadow Years by Geraldine Brooks

• Ellie
    Ellie

Angela's Ashes - an incredible story.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit