Just a question

by brittani 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Welcome Brittani! If you are interested in the JW religion, please use every avenue possible to do your research--both the site AFIN told you about and all other sites you can google regarding this religion. The JW's are not allowed to research their own religion--if they even make a statement that they are unsure of any teachings, there is a strong possibility that they will be disfellowshipped and shunned by family members and close friends, which is why a lot of them blindly follow whatever the Watchtower Society tells them to do. This is why some people like AFIN is trying to discourage you from researching other internet sites, and also why most rank and file JW's don't know the dirty laundry that is being hidden. Also--at meetings of JW's, they are constantly being told to stay away from the Internet and 'Apostate' websites such as the one you are on. NOTICE THAT MOST OF US REPLYING TO YOU ARE TELLING YOU TO DO HEAVY RESEARCH, WHEREAS THE JW AFIN IS TRYING TO DISCOURAGE YOU FROM DOING RESEARCH!!!

Blondie--you are one smart woman!!! You always have the info at your fingertips. Nice to know there are people who post that have the information straight from the horse's mouth.

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

Yes they did believe Christ returned in 1874. They also believe that Christ was examining them and found them to be the "One True" religion in 1919 (this claim is made in several places, probably most easily found in the Knowledge book). Interstingly, in 1919 they published a book called the Finished Mystery, in which they make the above 1874 claim.

Now they claim that Jesus returned in 1914.

Matthew 24:23-26

"Then if anyone says to YOU, ‘Look! Here is the Christ,’ or, ‘There!’ do not believe it. 24 For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will give great signs and wonders so as to mislead, if possible, even the chosen ones. 25 Look! I have forewarned YOU. 26 Therefore, if people say to YOU, ‘Look! He is in the wilderness,’ do not go out; ‘Look! He is in the inner chambers,’ do not believe it

So to summarize:

1. By their own admission they do admit by default that they falsley claimed Christ returned in 1874.

2. They also claim that while Christ was examining them and finding them to be "providing spiritual and timely food" they were violating the above verse in which Christ warned of false prophets.

3. And unbeknownst to most dubs is the fact that there were two other groups in 1919 providing nearly identical spiritual food: Hell is not hot, Jesus is not God, the spirit is not immortal, God is not three guys. Those groups would be the Christadelphians and the Iglesia Ni Cristo.

So why did Jesus choose a group that was by it's own admission violating a verse in which Jesus himself warned against false prophets claiming his return, and not instead choose a couple of other churches who were providing identical "spiritual food" minus the violation of Matthew 24:23-26?

A few years later another guy came along named Herbert Armstrong. He provided nearly identical spiritual food, except in addition he tought that "true Christians" observe the Sabbath.

"Where else can we go?" the poor, intentionally uninformed witness replies.

Where else indeed.

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises
    99.99% of the people here are admitted apostates.

PENALTY FLAG!!!

Description of Ad Hominem

Translated from Latin to English, "Ad Hominem" means "against the man" or "against the person."

An Ad Hominem is a general category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of some irrelevant fact about the author of or the person presenting the claim or argument. Typically, this fallacy involves two steps. First, an attack against the character of person making the claim, her circumstances, or her actions is made (or the character, circumstances, or actions of the person reporting the claim). Second, this attack is taken to be evidence against the claim or argument the person in question is making (or presenting). This type of "argument" has the following form:

1. Person A makes claim X.
    2. Person B makes an attack on person A.
    3. Therefore A's claim is false.

The reason why an Ad Hominem (of any kind) is a fallacy is that the character, circumstances, or actions of a person do not (in most cases) have a bearing on the truth or falsity of the claim being made (or the quality of the argument being made).

Keep in mind, this guy claims to represent "the truth". You have to ask yourself, if he has "the truth", why does he have to resort to logical fallacies to defend it?

You see, the truth does not fear examination, it welcomes it. The truth does not need to hide behind bogus claims of authority. It can stand on it's own. The truth does not need to attack a person to discredit their argument. The truth knows that their own false arguments will be only needed condemnation.

The only time people need to use those sorts of methods are when they need to hide the truth.

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

I gotta admit AFIN, you have guts.

When you post some of the things you do, I really do get the mental image of a guy walking into a huge fan.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

AFIN is on some sort of personal crusade to throw every thread off track.

CYP- take that fallacy list for reference during the next public talk... We learned about avoiding them in writing in school- I call my mom on them all the time and hear them at the hall non stop...

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Welocome brittani,

If you want to know the JDub beliefs then you can go here

http://www.watchtower.org/library/jt/article_03.htm

Its their website, and list the scriptures used to define their pratices. I would recommend you take a look, and view the ENTIRE context of scriptures quoted. You'll start to see a patern.

steve

• heathen
    heathen

The belief that christ returnes is based on the gentile times when jesus was saying the signs of his presence and the conclusion of this system of things would take place . The WTBTS went wrong when they said the end of the world would take place and christ returned in kingdom power in 1914 then they changed it to an invisible presence when the world didn't end . The WTBTS believes that most mankind will be resurrected and live in a paradise earth and that the 144k of revelation are offered a position as co rulers with christ for a thousand year reign over the earth . They don't believe christ returns to earth but the bible clearly says it .

• peggy
    peggy

RichieRich: "take the fallacy list for reference during the next public talk.....we learned about avoiding them in writing in school-I call my mom on them all the time and hear them at the hall non stop.......

I am so pleased that as a young one you have an "ear" for this! Last night my daughter turned to me after a glamorous FS story and replied "urban ledgend"! We had a great laugh! The young have active minds and good hearing.......Thank goodness! Keep up the good work Rich!

Peg

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

brittani,

You will get frank, candidly honest opinions here. From real people, not an organization. If you would like to see an example of how Witnesses reason, take a look at this example of the reasoning we are treated to from "a friend in need."

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/9/84617/1.ashx

I don't even know whether AFIN understands that the expression "a friend in need" is taken from means that such a person is not a friend at all, but a deceitful user. Those of us who have tired of deviousness, double-speak, hypocrisy, and direct contradictions against what the Scriptures say have left and found a better life for ourselves.

Respectfully,
    OldSoul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit