"The Creation Adventure Team" LOL

by love11 53 Replies latest jw friends

• hooberus
    hooberus

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7285683/

The audio interview with Schweitzer is well worth the time.

The second interview with Leesem also points out the fact that other extant Dinosaur remains on display (ie: "Sue") may also have soft tissue remains within their bones. Perhaps this will now cause a more thorough evaluation of these specimens.

I think that this is a case where an accidental discovery (the bone was split in the field) has revealed facts that may never have surfaced otherwise (possibly in part due to the worldview that such creatures were probably too supposedly "old" for such items to be found within bones -so thus why split them intentionally?).

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

hooberus

So, rather than deal with the valid accusations of bad science or deception on the part of Carl Wieland and Answers in Genesis relating to the find in the 1990's, you just repeat the errors with a more recent discovery?

For example, one of the main faults Carl is criticised for is using a popular science article as a basis of his claims, rather than the actual science papers. And what do you do? Link to MSNBC and interviews targetted at a non-scientific audience!!

To be fair you link to talkorigins, but you missed out the best bits;

"For example, the main article has left many people with the false impression that the recovered tissues were in a soft pliable state when first exposed. This is not true. All of the fossil material was rehydrated during the same process that removed the mineral components of the bone. They were then buffered, and also some were fixed. The related press reports have created the impression that there are large features with the characteristics of fresh tissue. This is not true. The structures examined are a few millimeters across at most. The last, and rather irritating aspect of this research is not from the Science article, or the supporting material, but from the press interviews given by Schweitzer which repeatedly hint at the recovery of DNA, and even of cloning."

And you also ignore the evidence being discussed is not claimed by any one involved in the discovery with YECism. Your use of it to do this without making it clear the people who made the discovery make no such claims is deceptive;

One small, and hopeful change from Schweitzer's similar 1990s "discovery" is that this time both she and Horner have made direct statements that this find is neither a contradiction of the sciences, nor of an ancient Earth.

You also let yourself down by saying;

The second interview with Leesem also points out the fact that other extant Dinosaur remains on display (ie: "Sue") may also have soft tissue remains within their bones. Perhaps this will now cause a more thorough evaluation of these specimens.

If you had read the talkorigins article you linked to thoroughly, or had a more comprehensive knowledge of evolutionary biology, you would have known the find is nothing that new;

"Hendrik Poinar of McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, cautions that looks can deceive: Nucleated protozoan cells have been found in 225-million-year-old amber, but geochemical tests revealed that the nuclei had been replaced with resin compounds. Even the resilience of the vessels may be deceptive. Flexible fossils of colonial marine organisms called graptolites have been recovered from 440-million-year-old rocks, but the original material--likely collagen--had not survived."

And also, you can't resist the temptation to poison the well;

... possibly in part due to the worldview that such creatures were probably too supposedly "old" for such items to be found within bones - so thus why split them intentionally?

... when you regularly quote from a website that has been shown on this occasion and at least one other occasion I've highlighted to you to be a treasury of bad science, selective use of data, and downright deceptive practice. You conceeded this point as far as you could bring yourself to; I can find the post if you don't remember.

Before you question whether scientists might sometimes not pursue avenues of investigation due to beliefs, I think you better satisfy yourself that the Creationstic arguments you repeat here are not constructed by people with certain beliefs blinding themselves to any interpretation of evidence other than one that agrees with their previously held beliefs.

The evidence thus far indicates this is exactly what they do - feel free to rebutt this allegation if you can.

I mean, further into the talk origins article you linked to it says (regarding Wieland);

His major misrepresentations do not begin until the fourth sentence. There were several prior errors of fact and interpretation, but the first gross falsehood was not until the fourth sentence. For AiG this is doing very well (see Boiled Creationist with a Side of Hexaglycine: Sarfati on Imai et al. (1999)). Wieland wrote,

"The fact that this really is unfossilized soft tissue from a dinosaur is in this instance so obvious to the naked eye that any scepticism directed at the previous discovery is completely 'history'."

There are three falsehoods in this sentence; first, there were not soft remains "obvious to the naked eye" unless Wieland has superhuman microscopic X-ray vision. Oddly, one might more fairly say 'incompetently,' none of the microphotographs associated with the AiG "announcement" of Schweitzer's new publication have the scale bars found on all scientific publications of these results. Even the LA Times thought to include the obvious fact that these are microscopic features.

Honestly hooberus, if YECism were true, why do some of the most famous and well-regarded Creationists need to lie and distort to support their beliefs?

This is no ad hom; the evidence is there in black and white, whether you like to accept it or not and whether you continue in this thread or not.

I suggest anyone interested in the issue read all of http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/dinosaur/flesh.html, it is illuminating, not only in the analysis of the find, but in its analysis of YECistic lies, deception and nonsense.

Oh, and remember this earlier quote I made hooberus?

"As Christians we have the responsibility to pursue truth in all matters. When we are wrong, we need to admit it"

Over to you... I hope you won't just run away from the issue. it'll still be there even if you do...

• hooberus
    hooberus

hooberus

So, rather than deal with the valid accusations of bad science or deception on the part of Carl Wieland and Answers in Genesis relating to the find in the 1990's, you just repeat the errors with a more recent discovery?

My main reson for posting the msnbc arcticle here was to present dinosaur soft tissue evidence, not to spend time on accusations against creationists by TalkOrigins and others.

For example, one of the main faults Carl is criticised for is using a popular science article as a basis of his claims, rather than the actual science papers. And what do you do? Link to MSNBC and interviews targetted at a non-scientific audience!!

Popular science arcticles (such as from msmbc) can still be valid sources for new infomation, also the linked to interview was of the main scientist involved. Persons should also be aware that AiG also publishes a reviewed Technical Journal which often goes into more detail than their comments on regular news related arcticles.

To be fair you link to talkorigins, but you missed out the best bits;

"For example, the main article has left many people with the false impression that the recovered tissues were in a soft pliable state when first exposed. This is not true. All of the fossil material was rehydrated during the same process that removed the mineral components of the bone. They were then buffered, and also some were fixed. The related press reports have created the impression that there are large features with the characteristics of fresh tissue. This is not true. The structures examined are a few millimeters across at most. The last, and rather irritating aspect of this research is not from the Science article, or the supporting material, but from the press interviews given by Schweitzer which repeatedly hint at the recovery of DNA, and even of cloning."

My link to TalkOrigins was to provide their response to the msnbc arcticle that was posted. I read the above as well (and it was one of the reaons for my link for those who wanted more info).
    And you also ignore the evidence being discussed is not claimed by any one involved in the discovery with YECism. Your use of it to do this without making it clear the people who made the discovery make no such claims is deceptive;
    I simply pasted directly from an msnbc arcticle about the discovery of dinosaur soft tissue. Since my comments do not imply that those making the discovery personally support a Young Earth interpretation of this evidence I do not therefore believe my actions to be "deceptive."
    One small, and hopeful change from Schweitzer's similar 1990s "discovery" is that this time both she and Horner have made direct statements that this find is neither a contradiction of the sciences, nor of an ancient Earth.

She certiainly is entitled to her opinion on these things (just as YECs are entitled to a different opinion on these same things).
    You also let yourself down by saying;

If you had read the talkorigins article you linked to thoroughly, or had a more comprehensive knowledge of evolutionary biology, you would have known the find is nothing that new;

"Hendrik Poinar of McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, cautions that looks can deceive: Nucleated protozoan cells have been found in 225-million-year-old amber, but geochemical tests revealed that the nuclei had been replaced with resin compounds. Even the resilience of the vessels may be deceptive. Flexible fossils of colonial marine organisms called graptolites have been recovered from 440-million-year-old rocks, but the original material--likely collagen--had not survived."

I had read the above portion of the TalkOrigins arcticle. However my comments were specifically about the re-evaluation of extant dinosaur bones. Here is my comment again:
    "The second interview with Leesem also points out the fact that other extant Dinosaur remains on display (ie: "Sue") may also have soft tissue remains within their bones. Perhaps this will now cause a more thorough evaluation of these specimens."
    And also, you can't resist the temptation to poison the well;
    ... possibly in part due to the worldview that such creatures were probably too supposedly "old" for such items to be found within bones - so thus why split them intentionally?

I don't think that my statement was an example of poisioning the well:
    http://www.fallacyfiles.org/poiswell.html
    ... when you regularly quote from a website that has been shown on this occasion and at least one other occasion I've highlighted to you to be a treasury of bad science, selective use of data, and downright deceptive practice. You conceeded this point as far as you could bring yourself to; I can find the post if you don't remember.

I don't believe that my previous comments amount to anything approaching any sort of concession that AiG has engaged in such as the above. Here are some links to some previous discussions that we have had over your accusations against AiG:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/72354/4.ashx
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/74371/1200785/post.ashx#1200785 Futhermore, it is not my intention here to (once again) enter into a lengthy response to various accusations that you make against creationist organizations (or myself for that matter). I believe that the dialogue contained thus far here (and on previous linked to posts) is sufficient enough.

• hooberus
    hooberus

Back to the dinosaur issue:

They are saying that dinosaurs are not millions of years old because thousands of pounds of bones are found to be unfossilized and that red blood cells were found in the bones and this wouldn't be if they lived millions of years ago. And they are telling these kids that it is not a fact that they are millions of years old. They are trying to prove that dinosaurs and man lived together and that the bible's creation story is correct. They are even saying that ALL dinosaurs were vegetarians, even the T-rex! Oh, and the dragons mentioned in the bible were really dinosaurs! Now they are showing caveman drawings that supposedly have dinosaurs on the rock wall. Could you give me some advice about what to say to these people, if anything? Better yet some scientific EVIDENCE that this is untrue. Thanks for your help!

Calling ...Seattle nice guy and other evolution buff's!!!

It should be acknowledged that there are many unfossilized dinosaur bones, as well as mounting evidence of preserved dinosaur biological tissues (whether or not one accepts this as evidence against old ages for such creatures depends to a large part on ones world view as it related to the dinosaurs, and origins).

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

hooberus

I know what your point WAS. My point was what you were ignoring, and how you seemed to duplicate the very errors that I had highlighted in earlier posts. I'm glad YOU didn't feel you were poioning wells...

It should be acknowledged that there are many unfossilized dinosaur bones, as well as mounting evidence of preserved dinosaur biological tissues (whether or not one accepts this as evidence against old ages for such creatures depends to a large part on ones world view as it related to the dinosaurs, and origins).

Errr... if the preserved tissues (as the article says) have had the biological material removed by mineralisation, then there are no preserved BIOLOGICAL tissues. Didn't you pick up on that?

Oh, and your phrasing in context makes it sound like evolutionists are NOT acknowledging new discoveries, when this is not the case at all. *sigh* But I suppose that's not poisoning wells either?

Any comments on Carl Wieland? Do you feel Answers In Genesis has ANY credibility? I ask as you have a habit of linking to them or quoting them in your posts.

• Evanescence
    Evanescence
    Hi everybody! It's been awhile since I wrote, but I've been crazy busy with school work!

My fundamental christian neighbors gave my kids this video to watch. - "The Creation Adventure Team".

They are saying that dinosaurs are not millions of years old because thousands of pounds of bones are found to be unfossilized and that red blood cells were found in the bones and this wouldn't be if they lived millions of years ago. And they are telling these kids that it is not a fact that they are millions of years old. They are trying to prove that dinosaurs and man lived together and that the bible's creation story is correct. They are even saying that ALL dinosaurs were vegetarians, even the T-rex! Oh, and the dragons mentioned in the bible were really dinosaurs! Now they are showing caveman drawings that supposedly have dinosaurs on the rock wall. Could you give me some advice about what to say to these people, if anything? Better yet some scientific EVIDENCE that this is untrue. Thanks for your help!

Calling ...Seattle nice guy and other evolution buff's!!!

ok? what the? I think just let them be, when the kids are older they'll figure things out Evanescence

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

oh, it looks like MOR1125, the fossil that hooberus mentioned, IS a benchmark fossil.

They have found it contains medullary bone. Medullary bone is deposited on the long-bones of female birds to act as a ready source of calcium. Reptiles don't make their eggs the same way.

MOR1125 is further indication of the likely ancestry of modern birds, and fits in with predictions made by evolutionists based upon evolutionary theory for decades. Aren't evolutoionists clever? Even though they "make it all up", they "make it up" so well that they can accurately predict things!! LOL

Will the fact that MOR1125 is a validation of evolutionary theory get mentioned on creationistic websites? Or will they misrepresent the nature of the find to lend weight to their beliefs, and forget to mention any inconvenient facts that they don't like? I think I may well keep an eye on Answers in Genesis and see what they do, as their track record is poor in this area...

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

The people we must never believe are those who resort to distorting the evidence, just like the JWs and other fundamentalists.

Imagine if we all started with a clean slate and just looked at all available evidence without preconceived ideas. For those who believe in the Bible, where in the Bible does it teach people to interpret literally, especially in respect of time periods? Why not just accept that no one can really know for sure for example whether Adam was one real person or a symbol to represent early humanity? The creation myth is not just in the Bible, and why cant people accept myths as inspired, just like they accept inspired prophesy. poetry, psalms etc. Why should it matter to one's faith in a creator?

What amazes me is that if only beievers would open their minds, then believers really can have their cake and eat it. The most reasonable and scholarly interpretation of the Bible's teaching not only supports evolution but requires it. Most Christians and scientists are on the same side, except those who just wont accept they could be wrong.

Science can teach us more about a Creator and a Divine purpose than any superstition can, especially the most common superstitions that arise from a backward understanding of the teachings contained in scriptures.

• love11
    love11

Update

Thanks for responding! I will write more and finish reading all of your responses, when I'm not so exhausted. I've been doing homework non-stop since 10am, just stopping to eat and bathroom breaks. I'm not complaining, but I'll fill you in more details later.

Anyways, my daughter came back with some material from "the neighbors". And she said that Ruth told her, "I will pray for your parents." LOL What a crock!

Also, I just want to say that the lay persons view of blood cells, bodily parts, etc, I'm sure is very different from a professionals view. They did not go to school for 12 years non-stop to have just any person off of the street try and disprove their findings. And I will say it again- Scientist are not in the business of disproving someone's religion. If facts actually pointed to creation all scientist around the world would admit it after much research.

I've gotta go, my eyes are closing!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The presence of soft tissue is not ipso facto an indicator of date. Mesozoic insects have been preserved via amber. The soft tissue has been preserved because of the unique preserving properties of amber. So the question hooberus should be asking is...what is it about the specific geological or ecological context of these bones that allowed the bone to remain intact and yet not fossilize entirely.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit