Fly 2.4 billion light years in 2 minutes

by seattleniceguy 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry
    I beg to differ with you. If you were to take a box full of 1000 coins and throw them all over the floor, it is indeed absurdly likely that at least one will be heads. You could safely bet your life on the outcome. Yes, it is possible to get 1000 tails. It will happen, on average, 1 time out of 10 ^ 300 times. To put that in perspective, you could try this once per second for the entire age of the universe and probably never have it happen.

Oh, I'd be crazy to disagree with this. Yes. Of course.

What I differ on is not this coin thingy.

It is the using of the coins as anything even remotely similar to LIFE/NO LIFE.

I'll repeat my point.

Anything which is ACTUAL cannot be put on the balance scale next to a POSSIBLE for a weighing. A POSSIBLE does NOT exist, you see. (I know that sounds so simple that it is almost a tautology).

But, I'm serious. You cannot make one side of this coin an ACTUAL and the other side a Possible because, in this model alone, both sides are ACTUAL (Actually heads and actually tails.) You see, this extreme difference is so subtle (maybe to me) it is easy to miss.

"NO-LIFE is the ACTUAL" you might say. But, no. For the sake of discussion we can SAY that. However, it isn't so. NO-life is zero, zip, nada. That cannot be ACTUAL. It is non-everything and not a value.

Zero, to paraphrase the obvious, is a mere place-holder and a convenience. From the concept of Zero you could never postulate numbers into existence. You can only postulate zero from the ALREADY-EXISTING numbers and ask, "What's missing?" You see. It is conceptual and it is semantic. But, it isn't nuts and bolts.(edited to say: zero has to have special math laws or rules applied to it so that it will work. For example: you cannot divide by it. Were it actual you would not have to include a special rule (special pleading, as it were) to use it.)

Please don't misunderstand my point.

I'm merely fault-finding with any model that purports to use as analogus sets of either/or in which life/non-existence is considered binary. It is not.

We have life and we have the absence of life; but, (to beat this horse carcass) they are not opposites and are not commensurable by any standard of measurement.

So, from this it follows we cannot compute LIKLIHOOD of the appearance of life based on the existence of life. We can only ask, "What's missing?"

Our missing "zero" is our place-holder which translates into a concept of UNDISCOVERED LIFE.

But, there is no liklihood. There is no unliklihood.

That is what I'm saying. (And not making a cogent point of :)

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Terry,

You're putting words in my mouth. I'm not saying that the opposite of life is non-life, or any such thing. In fact, I haven't been talking about the likelihood of life for several posts now.

Let's start this again. Any planet has various properties, such as distance from sun, amount of surface water, amount and number of organic chemicals, etc. These properties are scales that can have values that range quite a bit.

Let's zoon in on one of these properties: distance from star. Any planet, by virtue of being a planet, will be some distance from a star. It could be close, like Mercury, or it could be far, like Pluto.

If we find 10 planets in a star system, they will be in 10 different orbits. Let's say that the scale of possible distances looks something like this:

STAR |------| HAPPY |-------------------------------------------------------|

Planets are distributed along this continuum. There is a happy range in which any planet that finds itself can check off that particular requirement to be conducive to life.

From a probability point of view, fulfilling this requirement is not really that hard. If a given planet has, say, a 1 in 1000 chance of being in an orbit that provides it with stable heat (I think this is generous - imagine putting 1000 planets in our solar system), then given a million trials, the chances are exceedingly good that some of them will have earthlike orbits.

This would be the case unless you feel that some kind of devious force is actively blocking planets from having earthlike orbits. But given a natural distribution, we can expect planets to exist with earthlike orbits.

What think you, Terry? Does this sound reasonable?

SNG

• Satanus
    Satanus

Hey man, that's beautiful. I can see that the whole thing might be a living organism. How to define it's life?

It has heat points

It has communication between nodes (galaxies)

It has information communication within nodes, between stars, planets, moons etc by means of electronagnetism, proton streams, magnetism/gravity and other means. All things are thus connected.

It has metabolism - the breakdown of material to extract it's stored energy, as in black holes

It has growth in that simple elements are fused within stars (factories) to form larger more complex forms

S

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    It has communication between nodes (galaxies)

It has information communication within nodes, between stars, planets, moons etc by means of electronagnetism, proton streams, magnetism/gravity and other means. All things are thus connected.

It has metabolism - the breakdown of material to extract it's stored energy, as in black holes

Computo, ergo sum.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit