Fly 2.4 billion light years in 2 minutes

by seattleniceguy 33 Replies latest jw friends

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Researchers at the Max Planck Institute have wrapped up the largest supercomputer simulation ever to study the growth of galaxies and black holes. Using 25 terabytes of data, and crunching it for a month, they have produced, among other things, a computer animation that allows you to fly 2.4 billion light years through the universe in about two minutes.

The bright spots in the movies are galaxies. Seeing this movie makes it seem highly dubious that we are the only life in the universe.

The article contains links to three movies.
    http://www.physorg.com/news4343.html

The two-minute fly-through (60MB - right-click and Save As for best results):
    http://www.mpa-garching.mpg.de/galform/data_vis/millennium_flythru_fast.avi

SNG

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

swee-ut! thanks. now, off to boldly go where only several geeks have gone before...

any info on the type of cluster they used?

hey! happy birthday seattleniceguy!

• Terry
    Terry

I have never seen the logic behind the numbers in predicting liklihood of life.

Only possible things happen.

What we are as "life" in the Universe has everything to do with exactly where we are. All the other places aren't where we are.

I stand here and look at that word ___possible___and can't seem to breathe much life into it.

I'm a possible President of the United States more than other life is possible on other planets.

It is tha language and the numbers which fail to offer me the degree of certitude necessary for a glimmer of optimism on this topic.

I think all we really need to do is redefine life and----zowie!----it would abound everywhere.

T

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

That was actually a little scary to watch... I feel a little insignifigant now think I'll go eat some Ice cream...

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Terry,

I have never seen the logic behind the numbers in predicting liklihood of life.

Only possible things happen.

Think of it this way. Let's say there are certain baseline requirements for life to exist. For the sake of argument, let's define a couple here:

• Gotta have liquid water.
    • Gotta have a stable heat source.
    • Gotta have organic compounds at the surface.

Here's the important point: Unless you believe that a deity intentionally gave Earth these necessary features while denying them all other planets, then it means we got them simply because we happened to be in the right place at the right time. In other words, chance.

If something happens by chance at a given rate, and the number of opportunities is significantly higher than that rate, then it is likely for that thing to happen. For example, if a coin comes up heads one out of two times on average, then we can say confidently that if we flip it one hundred times, we are extremely likely to get heads many times.

If we accept that there is a non-zero chance of circumstances lining up to create an environment that supports life -- and we must accept this if we do not believe in the life-producing deity -- then there are implications in the same way as in the coin illustration. If, for example, there is a one-in-a-billion chance of any particular planet having the necessary features for life, but there are a billion billion planets out there whose component features are distributed uniformly, then it is extremely likely that there are many planets that are conducive to support life.

There are probably baseline requirements to life, but they may not be as difficult to come by as we imagine. We already know that there is water on Mars, and there is increasing evidence that the water was liquid in the past. There may in fact still be liquid water in some pockets. The feature "gotta have water" may be present in, say, 1 out of 50 planets. We have observed organic compounds on Titan (moon of Saturn), so we know that these can exist elsewhere. We know that it is possible for planets besides Earth to be close to stars (c.f. Venus and Mars).

If there is a one-in-a-billion chance that any particular planet has the right ingredients for life, and there are a billion billion planets (easily possible), then we can expect that there are about a billion planets that could support life.

The question of how many of those planets actually have life on them would work along similar lines. That is, again, unless you accept the life-deity magically and intentionally creating life on Earth, it means that life came about through natural processes which clearly have a non-zero chance of occuring in any environment that supports them. As long as the number of opportunities is significantly greater than the rate of occurance, it is statistically likely that it has happened many times.

SNG

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Thanks, tetrapod!

SNG

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Good post SNG -thankyou

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

To take this a bit further, consider the converse implications in our coin toss illustration.

A coin comes up heads one out of two times on average. Therefore, if we flip the coin a hundred times, it is extremely likely that we will get heads many times. And it is highly unlikely that heads will never come up.

If you roll a twenty-sided die, any particular number will come up one out of twenty times on average. If you're looking for, say, a five, and you roll the die 20 times, you are somewhat likely to get it (it is about 64% likely). But if you roll the die 200 times, you are almost guaranteed to get it at some point (it is 99.9964% likely now). If you roll it ten thousand times, it would be safe to bet everything you own on getting your number at least one time (likelihood: 99.9999999999999999999947%). A person who bet that your number would never come up would be making an exceedingly stupid bet.

Depending on what the chances are that any given planet can support life, it may be the case that there must be other planets that can support life. In fact, saying that our planet is the only one out there that can support life is like saying that we hit a universal jackpot to end all jackpots. I don't think this is true. I think life is a phenomenon that occurs at a specific rate in environments that can support it. Given the billions of billions of star systems in the universe, it is exceedingly unlikely that life exists only on Earth.

SNG

Appendix:
    If you represent the chances of an event happening as 1/x, and you give x^2 opportunities for the event to occur (as we have been doing in saying that earth-like planets come one in a billion, but there are a billion billion planets), as x increases the likelihood increases exponentially.

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

AAARGGGHHH!!!

I HATE COMPUTERS!!!!

The Window Media Player says its missing some codecs to play this movie!!! How can that be? I have the latest version!! How did you guys play the movie???

Pope

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Okay, I've done some math. Given an event that happens 1 out of a billion times, if you have a billion billion trials, the odds that the event will occur at least once are approximately:

99.999999999999...[insert 425 million 9's]...9999999 percent!

Try that on for size!

Appendix:
    You can obtain the probability for an event happening at least once in a series of trials by using the following formula:

1 - [ (1 - probability on any given trial) ^ number of trials ]

For example, to find out the probability of rolling at least one 5 when rolling a six-sided die 10 times, you would go:

1 - [ (1 - 1/6) ^ 10 ] = about 84%

SNG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit