Does Jehovah protect his "people"?

by sonnyboy 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

An an exjw, I'm well aware of the fact that they arrogantly think they're God's only chosen people.

My family used to be frequently visited by an elder and his family. My family strayed from "the truth", and they would constantly come to our home and try to get us back on the "straight and narrow" path.

So, what happened to this elder and his family? Their adult daughter was accused of having sexual relations with a 13 year old boy. When the police came to their home to arrest her, she told the authorities that she had to use the restroom before going off to the slammer. On her way to the bathroom, she picked up a 9mm handgun, shut the bathroom door, and blew her brains out.

A few months later, the elder's wife came to our home with even more bad news. It turns out that her 50-something husband met and fell in love with a 26 year old girl. He left "the truth", his family, and everything that he had known, to be with this young woman.

Now, if Jehovah is real and He is watching over his flock, why would he allow these things to happen? How did being in "the truth" benefit these good people in ANY way whatsoever? The fact of the matter is, it did not. "Jehovah" protected this family just as he protects ANY other family...not in the least.

Just one more reason why I no longer believe. If he *is* real (which I highly doubt), he was just as kind to this family as he was to that of Job.

What a sadistic bastard he would be.

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

I totally agree!...Sad but true...

And welcome to the boards..

I have been disassociated for over 20 years now.(I wrote a letter).they never came to my door once trying to get me back..

Course I was married to a JW so I guess they expected him to convince me to come back..wasn't gonna happen...

Snoozy..aka..Golden Girl..

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

:Now, if Jehovah is real and He is watching over his flock, why would he allow these things to happen?

that is the question deep inside many of us. it doesn't matter if some cult "answers" it for you, it is still there.

suffering is counted against god, no doubt. it is unconscionable. like narkissos said not long ago in another thread far far away: "Since the moment the first child cried..."

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Welcome to JWD sonyboy!

Now, if Jehovah is real and He is watching over his flock, why would he allow these things to happen? How did being in "the truth" benefit these good people in ANY way whatsoever? The fact of the matter is, it did not. "Jehovah" protected this family just as he protects ANY other family...not in the least.

Just one more reason why I no longer believe. If he *is* real (which I highly doubt), he was just as kind to this family as he was to that of Job.

Well just one of the things that got me out of the "lie" was realizing that doG could not be behind this cult due to the hypocrisy I saw going on. Only sad thing was it took the best years of my life. If only I had figured this out years earlier!

People are people and you are going to find the good, bad and ugly in all aspects of life even in religion sad to say, the bad thing about religion is they whitewash the bad stuff and keep so much of it away from their members. Who was it that said religion is the opium of the people?

Very sad story you told I'm saddened when I read things like that, but I am glad that your family had the sense to escape the cult early on good for them!

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

While I would agree with you that JWs are not God's exclusive people and do not have any special protection from him, a JW would simply argue that "these good people," as you call them, were not so "good". Everything that you say happened to this family happened as a direct result of their own sinful behavior. The daughter was going to go to jail because she had molested a child. Her suicide was merely more sinful behavior, taking the "easy way out" rather than facing up to the consequences of her actions. Similarly, the father abandoned his wife for a younger woman, causing yet more pain to hios wife. JWs have never taught that God protects anyone against the consequences of their own sins, and at times people suffer because of the sins of others (Extreme example: a murder victim suffers because of the sinful action of the murderer). Nor does he prevent people from sinning if they choose to do so; if he did, they would not have free will. I see no inconsistency between JW doctrine and the events that happened to this family as you recount them.

• robhic
    robhic

I've pondered this exact point many times, myself. I am not a JW but have a (girl)friend who is. Her health is total shit and has been for a while, starting about 2 years after baptism. (Co-incidence...?) She also belongs to a congregation where there seems to be an extremely high incidence of bad health and other associated negatives. If they are the J-man's #1, then why so much bad luck? And no respite in sight.

In fact, I am geting ready to go visit my squeeze in the hospital where she has been since yesterday. She woke all right but started having trouble early in the A.M. and her daughter called an ambulance to take her to emergency. There they found she was in a type of septic shock (!!!) and the family was consulted about resucitation and the like. Holy cow! Pretty serious for someone under the blanket of jehovah's protection. Why isn't jehovah watching over these people? Last time my friend was in the hospital there were no less than 3 other members of her cong in at the same time!

Looks to me to be a good reason/time to switch teams. Jehovah's team sucks!

Robert

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

The arguement that it was sinful behaviour (and god not intervening) that caused the suicide and the broken marriage is a great examle of why jws are leaving in droves.

Shooting from the hip judgements and a lack of understanding and wisdom just doesn't cut it anymore in this modern and enlightened world

• gumby
    gumby

In normal fashion....you'll hear both stories among the dubs. When Jehovah's Witnesses experience disaster and some lose their lives......they simply say Jehovah "allows" tradgedies to happen to even his people. When a kingdom hall is spared from a tornado's path, then they boast how Jehovah protected them.... and the baptist church down the road was destroyed. Whichever fate they experience....Jehovah was in control and allowed whichever circumstance happened. Jehovah can't lose either way.

Gumby

• Gill
    Gill

I don't think that's what the WTBTS really believe.

I thought Jehovah only protects his wife like organization, the WTBTS and the FDS, not the children, much as in the case of Job's children.

My parents told me however, that they believe Jehovah protects 'them' as in them personally, and that's why they stay Jehovah's Witnesses because they have known never to take blood transfusions and that's why they don't have Aids like 'people of the world'. so Jehovah has protected them.

I wanted to ask what about my aunt and uncle who both died loyal JWs but of terrible deaths of cancer, but couldn't bring myself to pull out this trump card. If anything my aunt and uncle were fanatical Jws. So, the question my aunty was always asking before she died, 'what have I done wrong to deserve this', is what she believed. She thought she had not served Jehovah properly. She couldn't pioneer, not fit enough. She believed Jehovah had let her die this miserable death because she had not kissed the unholy ass of the WTBTS enough!

God, those looneys make me angry!

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    Who was it that said religion is the opium of the people?

Karl Marx, I believe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit