Again, the Best Turkey Ever.

by JamesThomas 19 Replies latest social physical

• lawrence
    lawrence

Thanks James, going to try it.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas
    Could you give the recipe for the salt water brine and what herbs?

There are many brine recipes on the web. Usually they call for one cup salt per gallon of water, this makes for a very salty ham like tasting bird. I found a half cup per gallon more to my liking. Add a couple three chopped onions and what ever herbs you like, sage, tarragon, rosemary and thyme, etc. you can make it peppery hot if you like. Garlic of course. Some (half cup or so) lemon juice, vinegar or wine may not be bad to add, though I generally save the wine to brine myself. When it comes to spices i just throw it all in with little thought of measuring anything.

Place a thawed Turkey in a five gallon trash-bag and place this in a bucket that will fit into your fridge, or place it in a ice box. With it in a trash-bag you don't need to use as much water mixture to surround it, because you can tighten the bag, push out the air and twister tighten it so that the turkey is totally covered by the liquid. Keep it this way over night, and it must stay cold. Add ice around it if it is in a icebox. Note, best to use two bags one inside the other because it seems a single bag always leaks.

Follow Chef Marc's instructions carefully, like making sure you dry the bird well inside and out after you brine it, and before you rub it down with your favorite oil and spice (no salt, this time). It's worth the time to read his directions and watch his little video.

j

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

nice. thanks for the recipe JT. i am going to make it for my JW wife & immediate family, and privately revel in the knowlege that it's an aposta-turk!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Mmmmm... that recipe sounds very similar to one I like to use on chickens...

1. Prepare chicken or Cornish hen by trimming excess skin, rub with oil and spices (minus the salt).

2. Place on hot BBQ grill. Add a few pieces of hickory or mesquite to the charcoal or gas grill.

3. Close lid and cook on high heat for about 30 or 45 minutes.

4. Remove from BBQ and place in conventional oven to finish cooking. (Total cook time should be 1 hour to 1.5 hours)

5. Take out, let rest for about 10 or 15 minutes

6. Enjoy!

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

JamesThomas, I concure.

I saw Wolfgang Puck do a brine soaked turkey and tried it. *kisses index finger and thumb* Magnifique.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

I heard this guy on the radio last Thanksgiving and I gave it a try...just the High Heat part, no brine.

It was GREAT! And fast. Nobody believed me that it would work to cook a Turkey like that, and I was terrified myself, but it worked. I shall not go back to the old way, as James said. Next time I will try the whole brine thing. Actually, this sounds like a good thing to try this week...mmmmmmmmm.....

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

I posted this last spring, and thought of bringing this back to the top a week ago when it would be relevant and useful for Thanksgiving. However, since it's questionable that I have two brain-cells to rub together, I forgot. Sorry. Anyway, since some cook more than one turkey in the winter, I hope you find this useful next time.

I just put a thirteen ponder in the oven at 525, it should be ready in about two hours.

j

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

That sounds good... I like to use the Vertical Roaster, which stands the turkey upright. You cook it at 400o and it is so moist and tender! (You don't have to do any advance preparations...easy) If you worry about fat, this is one of the best ways to cook it. Enjoy!

Swalker

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Anyone ever try a turducken?

• Soledad
    Soledad

I've been using that method to cook chicken for many years now. The chicken comes out so moist and flavorful and is a huge hit in my house

Turducken is awesome!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit