Question style in Keep on Watch Brochure

by stillajwexelder 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

When delivering the "5th talk" or whatever it is called in English - the final one, on the ministry school, I have used old literature and non-JW literature to make points, and have received very favourable comments from others for giving interesting talks; the school servant has been a bit less open, but has said nothing - but now, I am only given the Bible or WT reading, where there are no comments, just a couple of minutes of reading ....... so much for giving personal comments. If you don't line up, you're silenced. In WT and book studies and in the ministry school. So much for diversity and different personalities.

• misstee
    misstee

I prefer the old way, when they ask a question and you answer from the paragarph, I think some of the questions are personal and should not be asked. How you feel about certain topics is your business, plus some people embarass themselves and their families by comenting about their personal thoughts and their bad experiences, that should be kept to yourself and within your family. There is actually something called too much info. ok

• Honesty
    Honesty

I think the goal behind the new trend is to get Witnesses to express the paragraph's thoughts in their own words. I think that what it will probably do is simply make the loyalists more adept in finding ways to relate the paragraph's thoughts to their own life.

SNG

Last week I was out in service with Sisters Tightwad, Dropdead Gorgeous, Legs Reachingtoheaven and Brothers Dimlight, Easy Pray and Looksforkids. We were discussing this very subject and are unified in thinking the Catholic church is waaay too lenient in searching out and turning pedophiles into local authorities. We just can't understand how any religion is able to sweep evidence under the rug and go about business as usual.

How's that for personifying a comment, Brother Book Study Overseer?

• luna2
    luna2

They used to always say that they wanted comments that were "in your own words" and not read back directly from the paragraphs. However, when it came time for the WT study, the conductor would often re-ask the question right after someone actually had an interesting comment that they'd obviously researched and thought about. There would be barely a "thank you" before asking for other comments. When the second commentor would read the answer from the WT, the conductor would be all smiles and obviously much more approving. Everybody learned pretty quick not to bother putting much thought into their comments.

I wonder how this asking for personal expressions is going to work out. I can see them easily running out of time and lots of frustration on the elders' parts with trying to direct the flock's thinking along approved WTS guidlines.

• blondie
    blondie

This reminds of the old days when some books were printed without questions and had question booklets printed after the fact.

Also, I can remember how upsetting it was to many JWs when we studied the Greatest Man book and all the questions were at the end of each chapter rather than under the paragraph. My, my, that made reading the answer from the paragraph difficult.

Aslo, the brothers used to make up their own questions for the service meeting parts; now the WTS provides them.

Blondie

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    the brothers used to make up their own questions for the service meeting parts; now the WTS provides them.

Cheesh!, You mean they have even formalised that little bit of personal input to these deadly boring items . That means one could virtually do them with no preparation at all.

luna2 I think you must have had the same sort of watchtower overseers as we do. I still hear complaints from those that want to answer up. It shows that wherever you are - it is no better..

Re the brochure. I had to ask my wife where the questions were. It seems they are in the Kingdom Ministry. That figures??

I could not help but think how this is just the same as all the older brochures, "Look" brochure, "Require" brochure, you can read all of them , change a few headings.They are all the same

• Flash
    Flash
    It could of course back-fire on them - getting dubs to THINK for themselves.

Since your talking about a 'new trend' in covering the literature, I think you make an excellant point. I hope the GB doesn't discover their error to soon!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Last week I was out in service with Sisters Tightwad, Dropdead Gorgeous, Legs Reachingtoheaven and Brothers Dimlight, Easy Pray and Looksforkids. We were discussing this very subject and are unified in thinking the Catholic church is waaay too lenient in searching out and turning pedophiles into local authorities. We just can't understand how any religion is able to sweep evidence under the rug and go about business as usual.

How's that for personifying a comment, Brother Book Study Overseer?

LOL at Honesty

• misguided
    misguided

My 2 cents (whatever that's worth)...

I think that having people answer questions in their own words, instead of the answers from the paragraphs, will enable the elders to identify those whose thinking isn't up to WTS standards (you know, actually THINKING for themselves) so that they can give them the much needed admonition into thinking the way they're SUPPOSED to be thinking (or not).

To 'weed out,' and catch people thinking wrong things so they can 're-adjust their thinking?' What do you think?

Have you ever noticed the look on other's faces (sometimes even gasps), or the look on the speaker's face when someone gives an answer that is not up to 'protocol?'

Rose

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

I was in Germany, and a young boy of 15 gave a wrong answer at the book study; the director remove his glasses, looked angrily at him and said, "Don't irritate me with wrong answers!" The boy, tomato-red, stared to the floor for the rest of the meeting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit