Question style in Keep on Watch Brochure

by stillajwexelder 20 Replies latest watchtower bible

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Have you noticed how publications of late in question and Answer mode have very personalized and viewpoint questions. They have gone very pointed. This seems a definite trend and I wonder if it is one particular writer with a certain style or it has approval from the whole GB to get more pointed in their questions. I noted it at the bookstudy today in the Keep on the Watch brochure which is very much in this style. The Jehovah book we have just finished studying was similar but not quite as pointed.

I prefer the more historical Danile book even though in part it is a pack of lies

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

Yes I have. Although it seems the R&F don't quite get it. They are still answering from the paragraph.

No surprise, since they were trained by the WTS to do just that for the last 50 years.

• Flash
    Flash

I haven't seen the new brochure although ezekiel3 posted a section of it so I got an idea what your saying. I don't know what their new game is, maybe their convinced we're on the threshold of the GT and want to stress personal responcibility...I'm guessing of course.

Your new avatar is interesting, but I vote for the cutie you had up before!

• jgnat
    jgnat

It's my fault. I've complained for some time that they never ask open-ended questions, it is always true-false, "underline here". The Christian study materials I am used to usually start with an introductory paragraph, a whack of scriptures to look up, and lots of blank space for personal thoughts.

Now the WTS want the JW's to relate the material to personal experience. But there are no blanks for putting in personal thoughts. My JW honey is having trouble adjusting. His highlighter hovers over the page, uncertain.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    I prefer the more historical Danile book even though in part it is a pack of lies

Wouldn't it more apt to say "the more hysterical Daniel book"?

• Terry
    Terry

The written questions at the bottom of the page at book studies and Watchtower studies are insidious.

They are designed to short-circuit PERSONAL CURIOUSITY and substitute what they replace your natural curiousity with: propaganda.

It is not unlike eating waxed fruit. It looks the same as real fruit but has no nutrition.

So too with simulated questions for the brain dead. It makes you feel like you are having YOUR questions answered; but, you are only being forcefed stuffing.

Bah!

T.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

On the other hand.....................

there are many study books which use printed questions?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

They have over the years responded subtly to criticism even though they will not admit. From Ray Franz original CoC teh yhave made changes he suggested. Perhaps so many have commented (apostates) that the style does not allow thinking that they are making subtl changes. I think time will tell on this one. It could of course back-fire on them - getting dubs to THINK for themselves. Whatever next!!!!!!!!!!!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

They have ways of making you think!

BTW happy birthday stilla!

Ozzie

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy
    His highlighter hovers over the page, uncertain.

LOL...

I think the goal behind the new trend is to get Witnesses to express the paragraph's thoughts in their own words. Although it would be nice if this led to an increase in critical thinking habits, I think that what it will probably do is simply make the loyalists more adept in finding ways to relate the paragraph's thoughts to their own life.

SNG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit