Mankind came from one society which spread out?

by Sirona 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Sirona
    Sirona

I'm currently reading a book called "Heaven's Mirror" by Graham Hancock.

It theorises that the ancient egyptian pyramids, certain monuments in cambodia and mexican pyramids are built according to an ancient system which seems to have been mysteriously spread across the globe, sometime prior to 10,500 bc.

They base this theory on commonalities between the sites, most especially significant astrological correlations which are astounding.

Here is a link to Graham Hancocks site with a description of the book http://www.grahamhancock.com/library/hm/default.htm

What I found surprising is that he promotes many JW ideas. Firstly he comments upon how many of the cultures report a "global cateclysm" in their mythology. Sometimes this is mentioned as an actual flood. Also, he mentions "godlike men" who were destroyed at that time. He suggests that these cultures come from a common source which spread out and took the knowledge with them.

However, I remember reading other literature which suggested that rather than being from one source, societies such as ancient egyptians and ancient mayans did develop independently - since there is evidence of development of different writing styles independent of each other.

Does anyone have any insights into this matter?
    Sirona

• Sirona
    Sirona

Anyone?

Did this thread get lost or did noone find it of interest?

Sirona

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I must have missed this thread, last night.

The book sounds interesting. I'll have to add it to my "to read" list.

I'm confused, though.
    In what way does he appear to promote JW ideas?

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Sirona I thought it is interesting!

I have been to Angkor Wat in Cambodia and it is truly amazing. I was overwhelmed by the height of engineering a thousand years ago. The mathematical design is pure genius but..

Sadly for the author it is an exact copy of the Hindu heaven. Mount Meru etc. There is no correlation to a world wide flood. I would imagine he is referring to the freezes that covers the walls. A very casual attempt at research shows that the flood scene is actually the Hindu story of creation, the stirring of the cosmic liquid from which life sprang. Hindu philosophy far preceeds the bible, despite what the wtbts says.

Hope this helps

• JW83
    JW83

Sirona, if this guy is the one I'm thinking of (a medical doctor with absolutely no qualifications in history or archaeology, instead his specialty is tropical diseases) - he is a quack. Fair enough, if you enjoy that sort of thing, just be sure that it is all speculation!

Oh, that might be being a bit harsh - prehistory is fascinating, but the potential for quacks is limitless!

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

This guy's claims have been largely refutted. Anyone intrested should start here as it links to his web-page and analysis and refutations of his claims

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Hancock

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

He's not the author of "Hancock's Half Hour", then?

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Having said that, as it looks increasingly like 'Out of Africa' is the correct model for the spread of man (as distinct from multiregionalism), then the answer would be 'yes'.

... unless of course the displacing H. sapiens (modern) populations coming out of Africa absorbed cultural uniqueness from the to-be-displaced extant H. neanderthal or hidelbergensis (sp?) or even remnant H. erectus populations...in which case yeah, but no...

But Sirona, surely you know humans are actually descended from the inhabitants of Golgafrincham, and that after they adopted leaves as a currency (and then burned all the forests to re-value the now worthless leaf, when everyone become trillionaires over night) the civilisation they had collapsed and ushered in the last glacial maximum? (Douglas Adams)

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

I ain't touching that sir name.

Ok he's truly a wanker

• JW83
    JW83

The out of Africa theory is constantly being questioned though, yeah? I'm sure I heard something recently re Aus Aborigines. Although the Africa theory is pretty well researched - genetic information backs it up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit