"Vindication," New Light

by Maximus 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Maximus
    Maximus

Need some help.

Growing up, I was ceaselessly taught that everything JWs do in preaching is because of "The Issue." The Issue is the "vindication" of Jehovah's name.

At some point the publications ceased this teaching, with an almost casual Watchtower reference to the fact that 'obviously Jehovah's name does not need to be vindicated.' Keen students were surprised that no major article appeared to lay out this change.

I don't have the tools to follow this up, so could I impose on someone to fill me in with citations? It may be like declared righteous vs. justification or whatever semantic distinction, but I'd like to see it discussed.

Thanks very much.

Maximus

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

*** w95 5/15 25 Flashes of Light-Great and Small (Part 2) ***
    17 Similarly, for a long time, Witnesses spoke of the vindication of Jehovah’s name. But had Satan called Jehovah’s name into question? For that matter, had any of Satan’s agents done so, as if Jehovah did not have a right to that name? No, not at all. It was not the name of Jehovah that was challenged and that needed to be vindicated. That is why the Watch Tower Society’s recent publications do not speak of Jehovah’s name as being vindicated. They speak of Jehovah’s sovereignty as being vindicated and of his name as being sanctified. This is in keeping with what Jesus told us to pray: “Let your name be sanctified.” (Matthew 6:9) Time and again, Jehovah said that he was going to sanctify his name, which the Israelites had not challenged but had profaned.—Ezekiel 20:9, 14, 22; 36:23.

• Maximus
    Maximus

Thanks very much, Stephanus.

Have special regard for you good people of Oz.

Max

• blondie
    blondie

I posted earlier about an unannounced change from Jehovah's Christian witnesses (or Christian witnesses of Jehovah) to just Jehovah's Witnesses. And how about the change from Jehovah's witnesses to Jehovah's Witnesses. Remember calling the Theocratic Ministry School the Theocratic School then going back to Theocratic Ministry School. Remember calling the meetings for field service, rendezvous. Or back-calls became return visits. Servants became overseers (seeing "over" was better than "serving" under).

As the vindicating the name in the 12/15/86 WT we see it last said:

*** w86 12/15 19 How Majestic Is Jehovah's Name! ***
    In like manner, Jehovah’s majestic name will be vindicated when Babylon the Great is devastated and stripped of her wealth and glory at the onset of the “great tribulation.”

Then the "light" dawns in March 1, 1987 (but is not announced for 8 years)

*** w87 3/1 20 'Riding in the Cause of Truth' ***
    Christ in Kingdom splendor is riding on to success in sanctifying his Father’s holy name and vindicating His universal sovereignty.

• Moxy
    Moxy

this was kind of a funny change when it happened. it seemed so semantical. i couldnt really see what the point was. 'vindication of god's name' was changed to 'vindication of god's sovereignty' and 'sanctification of his name' for pretty obscure reasons. but in the crowd i was in at the time, young MTS-type guys, this was a big deal. some actually had little 'sanctification' stickers so they could go thru there Insight books and 'correct' every instance of 'vindication'!! they would correct brothers that wrongly prayed in the congregation for the vindication of jehovah's name - HEATHENS!

i thot there was also a QFR on this, no? id have to check later.

mox

• blondie
    blondie

Weirdly enough, I checked the Insight Book on the 1999 WT-CD and it still says vindicate "name."

• Maximus
    Maximus

Well know the type. Quick to correct the poor unfortunately who spoke of a

bulletin board.

Maximus

• Maximus
    Maximus

Stop with the e-mails. I am asked what is wrong with "bulletin."

JWs really hate popery. "Bulletin" comes from "bull," an official document issued by the pope and sealed with a bulla. Rounded seal. From medieval Latin.

You Scandinavian types recognize the root bull as in bullersten. Rounded stone.

What do I know, maybe it went from information board back to bulletin, unnoticed.

• MDS
    MDS

Hi Max:

Found an interesting Bible rendering for your perusal, pertaining to this subject...

THE "VINDICATION OF MY NAME" -- Ezekiel 36:23

"And I will VINDICATE THE HOLINESS OF MY NAME and separate it for its holy purpose from all that defiles it -- my name, whch has been profaned among the nations, which you have profaned among them -- and the nations will know, understand, and realize that I am the LORD, when I shall be set apart by you and MY HOLINESS VINDICATED IN YOU before their eyes and yours." -- Ezekiel 36:23 Amplified Bible

MDS

• Maximus
    Maximus

Dear MDS,

Good point. Finally got a chance to review the material fully, scant time for a meaningful reply, as you are likely aware. You may take it on the chin from time to time for lengthy posts; I get that too. I think that one sentence taken from your material pithily states your case:

:: Separate ourselves from an "idolatrous" organization, who clearly "defiles God's Glorious Name."

Maximus

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit