Jw wedding talk giving questionable advice as usual

by hoser 18 Replies latest jw friends

• hoser
    hoser

I recently went to a wedding and listened to the wedding talk at the Kingdom Hall   The couple had both heard the talk before as they were both married in Kingdom Halls before. This is his second time and her third. The advice given. Wife be in subjection to your husband, be a doormat and your marriage will succeed. They as usual misapplied the scripture in Ecclesiastes about the threefold cord. Keep Jehovah in your marriage and it will all be good. 

It obviously didn't work the first go around for these folks. 

• Giordano
    Giordano

I believe the divorce rate for JW's is the same as those of non JW. If so no real bragging rights.

Do you know the reasons for the breakup of their prior marriages? 

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Her third his second and they were allowed to have big wedding at the KH?

Is she one of those JW professional widows, as soon as the husband dies the wife takes the money and runs and finds another gullible brother to marry.  I've heard of few cases where this happens.

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake
    Her third his second and they were allowed to have big wedding at the KH?

This is exactly what I as thinking. This guy must be well connected with the leaders in the hall. Or her daddy is an elder.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    I'm so glad that I've brazenly defied this advice and always treated my wife as (gasp!) an equal.  Sure makes things go easier when you treat your wife like a person.
  • NewYork44M
    NewYork44M
    Did the speaker actually use the term "doormat?"
  • steve2
    steve2
    It seems to be a requirement in this organization that, within months of losing your spouse, you find another. To lose one spouse is perhaps understandable in today's busy world, to lose two, is careless but to lose three or more spouses suggests a level of absent-mindedness that borders on pathological. :)
  • hoser
    hoser

I don't know all the details    Divorced based on adultery several years ago for one of them.

• hoser
    hoser

This is exactly what I as thinking. This guy must be well connected with the leaders in the hall. Or her daddy is an elder.

her daddy isn't an elder but is well off. Her mommy is a pioneer. 

The grooms family is extremely well connected   At the reception I ended up sitting with an ex bethelite elder and his wife. I guess their kid is a missionary somewhere. 

It was hard but I kept the boozing to a minimum  with the free bar and all   I have a big mouth when I drink so I might have blown my cover. 

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

"I'm so glad that I've brazenly defied this advice and always treated my wife as (gasp!) an equal.  Sure makes things go easier when you treat your wife like a person."

We agree 100% OneEyedJoe! This is why we have survived for 32+ years together. We both respect and take the other into consideration when we decide things.

I have seen so many wives in the org who have a WTF look on their face. Then you see how the husband treats her. Some of the wives treat their husbands poorly too. The road goes both ways. 

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit