Now that your out, what are your core values?

by m. kirov 20 Replies latest jw friends

• whyamihere
    whyamihere
    For the holiday weekend I plan on raping and pillaging a little town nearby... anyone want to join me?

I will join you ...someone needs to drive the get away car!

Brooke

• bennyk
    bennyk

I am a Christian (very unaffiliated, different than the WTS - which was UN-affiliated ) and attempt to apply the Golden Rule as best I can (not always so very sucessfully, but I try). This means killing people is outside the pale, even when said person is still in utero. Loving your neighbor as yourself implies other things as well: not defrauding him, not violating his wife (even with her permission), not treating him with hatred/contempt, &c. I continue to try to maintain the New Testament standards of morality, sexual and otherwise. Just as before (my wife is happy about this).

• xjwms
    xjwms

You mean we have to have values?

• m. kirov
    m. kirov

xjwms -- Well, no one has to have values. I just wonder what "apostates" believe in. I would find it hard to believe that once people leave a Christian cult they lose all sense of values/ virtue/ ethics. Unless, of course, it's too hard living in a "spirtual no-man's land" to keep from turning into a horrible person (an elder used that phrase when he and my older sister came over to my apt. because it turned out my then husband and I were using drugs---it was decided that since I didn't tell anyone I was a practicing Witness I would not have to be disfellowshipped, which is so unheard of!!)

it's turning out that many apostates work a better Golden Rule than the multitudes of JWs

• willyloman
    willyloman

My core values remain the same. It was the WTS that changed, not me.

• Dawn
    Dawn

I would say that my core values have definately changed. When I was JW my core values included representing the "society" in a good light, and following the "rules", ministry, studying, etc.

Now my core value is to try as best as I can to be "christ like". Not to "preach" the gospel - but to LIVE the gospel. To let his light shine by the way I live my life. I believe that we as christians are supposed to be the "body of christ" - and that holds a very high responsibility. Christ did so many things with his body - he healed people, fed people, touch those who no one else would touch, he was compassionate and showed love. So as a christian, my core value is to try and make this world a better place, as best I can, by loving people, feeding people, giving to charities that are working for cures to heal people, and show compassion and love to people that are generally shunned by others (homeless, criminals, etc). And especially children - yes, children - who are all too often overlooked and unprotected.

I don't believe in abortion - I believe it is murder - I also don't believe it is my place to shove my values down someone else's throat. Christ didn't do that.

I believe homosexuality is a sin. So is lying, stealing, cheating, fornication, adultery - and many other things that we all do. Ultimately, not one of us can judge another person because we all have our own planks in our eye.

I believe that the best thing we could ever accomplish in this life is to make the life of someone else better - and to leave this world a better place.

My core values are no longer focused on what I do, but on who I am and what I can do for others.

Dawn (from the always leave it better than you found it class)

• freedom96
    freedom96

I try to lead a good life. I enjoy my family and friends, and do what I want to. I am a moral person in that I don't steal or cheat.

• notperfectyet
    notperfectyet

I am with Dawn on this one, she said it better than me,

I am a much better person now and KNOW the golden rule.

That would also be a high five.

• Es
    Es

I guess although i havent kept most of the other standars or values that i learnt in the truth i dont think i could have an abortion as you mentioned it just wouldnt feel right. es

• JW83
    JW83

not violating his wife (even with her permission)

Well, this is one patriarchal value that I definitely don't agree with! Women are not the property of men!

Otherwise, my love for the rest of the world has increased, I am definitely more peace-loving, I value education, & my family is the most important thing in my life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit