Smoking

by Es 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Es
    Es

Why do we continue to do it even tho we know its bad for us????? I gave up bout a year ago but still have one occasionally i dont even know if i enjoy it all that much but i still do it. Ive seen three of my family members die as a result of smoking and yet i light another one up! es

• Lostreality
    Lostreality

the feeling that it gives...the social reasons. And because it makes us feel damn good to fire up another when you want to.
    -Sam of the 'Im on day 10 since my last smoke' class

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

I know!..

I quit for over 10 years..then when hubby died I picked one up a year later..and that was enough..I picked up another and another..now I just got a prescription from the doc to help me quit again.

When hubby died from lung cancer..we were shocked. He never smoked in his life and I was a outdoor only smoker earlier..I refused to smoke in the house and smell it up.We asked the Dr how that could happen..his answer was it was "Environmental"

Go figure........ It's in the air!

What do we do now? Quit breathing?

All puns aside..I just remember how good it felt not to smell like a cigarette!I want that again.

• fairchild
    fairchild
    Why do we continue to do it even tho we know its bad for us????? I gave up bout a year ago but still have one occasionally i dont even know if i enjoy it all that much but i still do it. Ive seen three of my family members die as a result of smoking and yet i light another one up! es

It's called addiction. Sigh. I don't want to smoke, I hate the smell of it, have cut down to 10 cigs a day, deep sigh

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I quit when I was still a teenager because I didn't want to become dependent on them. Tried two of them at different times since I left the org. Smoking just isn't pleasurable enough for me to engage in it again. Cigarettes can cost $5 and $6 a pack here in Michigan. If I allowed myself to, I could truly resent the money Andy spends on tobacco each week. When I stop to think of the concert tickets we could buy or other fun things we could enjoy instead of tobacco, well it makes me start to see red. So I just try my best not to think of the money going down the drain.

• ivy
    ivy

Wow, you just touched on a huge subject for me. I hope I'm the only one on the board who will say anything similar to this.

I remember watching a movie where someone says to someone else "Those things will kill you" and the reply is "You want to live forever?"

It just stayed with me. I have suicide issues. I smoke knowing it will kill me because that's the idea. Actually, that constant in my head is what drove me to this board. Therapy and digging in the past led me to believe that the JW upbringing is somewhat responsible for my hopes for an early demise.

Of course, I can't explain to my son that I keep smoking because I actually want to die. Because it makes me feel like I am telling god that I have control. I know that quitting will be difficult, but without any desire to live past 40 or 50 I have found it to be impossible.

This will sound crazy, but I think that when I can give up smoking, I'll be able to say I'm over the whole jw thing.

• Dawn
    Dawn

((ivy)) You'll quit when you're ready - don't beat yourself up about it.

I quit a while ago - but have quit in the past also, only to take it up a year later - so who knows. I now have the occasional cig when I'm out with friends who smoke - usually about once a month. I figure a few cig's once in a while won't hurt me any worse than the smog I breath on my evening jogs or the diet cokes I drink. I'm probably wrong - but hey.

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em.

• Mamacat
    Mamacat

I grew up telling my dad that smoking would kill him...I was so adamant about it, but it didn't do any good back then. But, he just quit about 4 months ago, after over 40 years!

I smoked a few times as a teenager with friends, but I didn't like it. I started smoking regularly when I was 22...mostly because it irritated my husband (now ex) and he would tell me I smelled bad and leave me alone. Then, I couldn't quit.

I quit when I was pregnant with my last son and started back up again a few months after he was born. I've quit again with this pregnancy, but it is so hard still. I really don't want to start again, but the first thing I think of when I am stressed is to go get a smoke. My current husband nagged me about quitting constantly...but you really do have to quit because YOU want to..not what someone else tells you to do.

Good luck to everyone that has quit or is trying to. It is an addictive monster.

• lilbit
    lilbit

I started smoking when I was 15 because I was a waitress and only the smokers ever got a break. I gave it up a few times while I was a teenager ended up gettin dfed for it in the long run. I think when I truley became addicted was while I was married the first time. Whenever I had panic attacks smoking was the only thing that would calm me down so it became my stress reliever.Ive tryed to quit a couple of time since then it just hasnt worked out yet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit