Need help on blood issue...

by toladest 6 Replies latest jw friends

• toladest
    toladest

Some things going on that I don't want to mention on the open board, but I need help with the blood issue. Any help would be much appriciated.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

If this involves a JW wanting to receive blood products without being DFed and the elders and/or Hospital Liaison Committee is already observing at the hospital, it is still possible to have the Dr. provide the blood products without anyone knowing about it. Just whisper to him/her alone and they will do what is needed to ensure that the JW authorities never find out about it.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I found out somthing very interesting when doing a bit of reading - I'll quote from "dealing with Jehovah witnesses subject by subject"

"In quoting such Old Testament verses, however, they ignore another prohibition commonly found right alongside the prohibition on eating blood (this eating of blood was literal - in that they had to offer the blood to Jehovah), namely, God's command to the Jews not to eat any fat either: "ye shall eat no manner of fat, of ox, or of sheep, or of goat." Lev 7:23. The prohibition against eating fat was intended to be just as permanent as the dietary ban on blood. "it shall be a perpetual statue for your generations throughout all your dwellings, that ye eat neither fat nor blood." Lev 3:17." (now we know that witnesses didn't forbid the eating of fat.....just something interesting to ponder over)

We don't know what the problem is so it's hard to 'help'. If it's about someone who is looking for alternatives - there are various thing that are now acceptable to the witnesses including having your blood circulate into a cell saver while being operated on.

If a witness has had a blood transfusion & this is the problem - they more than likely will get df'ed as it would be a vile sin.

• ChristianObserver
    ChristianObserver

There is a lot of very good information at www.ajwrb.org

• toladest
    toladest

Thanks for all the advice. I went to the site posted here. It is VERY helpful.

The issue is with a loved one who has a liver function problem. He was raised as a witness and was taught it was wrong to recieve blood. He is no longer practicing, but he has always had a strong conscience and is afraid to make a decision to take blood if it comes to that.

He has recently found out that his liver is not functioning properly. He doesn't and never has done drugs or drank. They have ruled out hepititis and they don't think it's cancer. They are doing a biopsy soon to determine the cause and how severe the damage is. He already has signs of cirrhosis. The most concerning is that he is having trouble with bleeding. He has thousands of tiny blood spots in his legs and feet and has been getting bloody noses several times a day. When he gets even a tiny cut it can take him hours to stop bleeding. So there is a risk even to do the biopsy. He will be seeing a gastroenterologist June 1st to weigh his options and risks for the biopsy, but he needs a biopsy to find out the cause and how bad it is. They say it may be a genetic disorder or some kind of viral infection. (other than hep as they ruled that out)

Anyway, I just need him to have all the facts before making a bad decision. I need him to see that Jehovah is not the one that made up this stupid rule.

If anyone had something that particularly struck them, let me know. Anything will be helpful.

Laurie

• rebel8
    rebel8

A liver biopsy does not normally require a blood transfusion. It is a simple test taking a few cells in a split second. It can be done intravenously if necessary to avoid bleeding from the needle puncture.

I imagine they'll thoroughly test him to determine why he's having bleeding problems. Depending on what it is, there are probably alternatives available to control the bleeding during the procedure and/or treat it afterwards.

He can also refuse the biopsy if he wishes. There are alternative tests to assess liver problems, but none as effective as biopsy.

I understand your concern, but don't worry too much as it's pretty unlikely he will need a transfusion for this situation.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

WRITE ME WITH A MAILING ADDRESS TO [email protected] AND I WILL SEND YOU A CASSETTE WITH GREAT INFORMATION ON THE BLOOD ISSUE WHICH THE SOCIETY HAS NO ANSWER FOR!

OUTASERVICE

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit