How to tell a close friend...

by sinis 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sinis
    sinis
    Sinis,

Since you "seek truth", you have kind of opened yourself up to be presented with what may be lies.

This may be a little early for you to contemplate, but what are the chances you think (or better yet, feel in your heart) that a finite anthropomorphic deity of ancient desert tribes (one of many I might add) is the actual and true Source of our wondrous and infinite universe?

j

I believe that Jehovah, YAHWEH, or whatever the original unknown name is, is the true source of life and creation. I have done much research and in the end I concluded that a supreme deity made us, and has a grand scheme for mankind as accurately outlined in the bible. The believe in a complete/total evolution is not plausible or probable (without stepping on anyones toes :) ).

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas
    I have done much research and in the end I concluded that a supreme deity made us,

You have not heard me say that there is no God.

Why do you think it is necessary to reduce God down to an anthropomorphic "deity", little different from the Greek mythological characters you find so intriguing? Is it only because you have not been presented with something far grander, and outside the tiny little religious box.

Please know that I am not attempting to convert you to some other belief, but rather just imply that the source of an INFINITE universe, must be greater than, rather than smaller.

j

• sinis
    sinis
    I have done much research and in the end I concluded that a supreme deity made us,

You have not heard me say that there is no God.

Why do you think it is necessary to reduce God down to an anthropomorphic "deity", little different from the Greek mythological characters you find so intriguing? Is it only because you have not been presented with something far grander, and outside the tiny little religious box.

Please know that I am not attempting to convert you to some other belief, but rather just imply that the source of an INFINITE universe, must be greater than, rather than smaller.

j

OK. You have my attention Spit it out. I do believe that God is infinite. Are you saying that you believe he exists in everything? I don't know. I know we as humans try to minimze things that we do not understand. The bible does mention that he is dynamic energy. So if he is the source of all energy than realistically he is greater than all energy combined.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

I can't say what God is.

The Bible expresses a finite God, with form; one that is separate from all else. An infinite God has no form, no boundary which defines beginning and end. So, if it is true that you believe in an infinite God, then please tell me, where is this god absent, other than in old religious beliefs that give witness to a god too tiny to be here now?

j

• z
    z
    Congrats on getting out of the org! I'm not a jw, never was, the others here can help you better with your question. You should know that not everybody here "bashes" the wt. Many just miss their families and are frustrated. Many have been deeply hurt by the org and are in the process of tying to heal. Some are just plain pissed off at the org. Some have feelings ranging from rage to deep sadness. Stick around and you will find all kinds here. As it should be when people are free to be themselves. carla

same here

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Ok, maybe you should just say that you have cut back on going to meetings because you have been doing some research on....1914, Blood flip flop, UN - NGO, Pedophilia, whatever....then say "hey maybe you could help me to understand this.... I've been afraid of mentioning it to the elders...but it has me concerned"

Maybe he coud research it for you in good faith and it might wake him up. Thoughts?

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

hey sinis, welcome! you'll find lot's of people here with all sorts of beliefs. but in the end, we are all here because we are victims of a cult. so, we enjoy the association! cheerio!

• sinis
    sinis
    I can't say what God is.

The Bible expresses a finite God, with form; one that is separate from all else. An infinite God has no form, no boundary which defines beginning and end. So, if it is true that you believe in an infinite God, then please tell me, where is this god absent, other than in old religious beliefs that give witness to a god too tiny to be here now?

j

Perhaps, since the bible was written for man, that Jehovah had the prophets describe him in a manner that was easily understandable by the men of the time. Maybe it is equatable to an ant standing at the edge of the world and told to explain what he sees. Mentally the task would be insurmountable so some other form of representing it would be in order for others to easily grasp the idea.

• JW83
    JW83

the men of the time

That's about right - Yahweh was a god for 'the men of the time' - the Hebrew men of the time, not women, & not any other race. Doesn't sound infinite to me. Sounds like he grew out of the tribal god El into a patriarchal monotheistic deity which has suckered in millions so far.

Just my 2c.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas
    Perhaps, since the bible was written for man, that Jehovah had the prophets describe him in a manner that was easily understandable by the men of the time. Maybe it is equatable to an ant standing at the edge of the world and told to explain what he sees. Mentally the task would be insurmountable so some other form of representing it would be in order for others to easily grasp the idea.

This is a good answer and makes sense if the God we are speaking of is somehow not infinite, but rather finite and separate and thus must have "prophets", or middlemen to speak for It. Really, Sinis, if you are open to an INFINITE God, then research which may be more helpful than reading a book about what God did thousands of years ago, or may do in the future, is to look into what is it the blinds us to the Presence of God, right here, right now? Perhaps the only distance between us and God, is illusory. j

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit