Australian TV show child sexual abuse in JWs

by gerry 19 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• gerry
    gerry

The SUNDAY tv program that is broadcast nationwide in Australia on the nine network is featuring a story this coming Sunday 29th May on "Turning a Blind Eye on Paedophilia".

Three years ago the SUNDAY program exposed the child sexual abuse in the Jehovah's Witnesses. Graham Davis the reporter for that story won a New York Festivals medal in 2004 for that investigation. At the time church leaders played down the story and told the flock that the information was not true and telling the flock that the people appearing in the show were apostates. Anyway insiders from the Australian Bethel reported that they were inundated with calls from all around Australia after the show went to air. The Sunday show itself received the highest public response in its history. Many saying that what happened to Natalie and Simon happened to them.

Yet the message from Bethel is we do not have a problem. One sister who has had her son and daughter sexually abused by two different brothers was shocked to hear recently at an assembly program a brother making the statement from the platform that JW's do not have paedophiles in their ranks.

How big is this problem? How many Aussie Jw's are not prepared to remain silent? Are the elders doing what is morally right? We will find out.

gerry

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Saw the ad for it on the end of yesterday's Sunday programme (a miracle in itself - I never usually watch Sunday) - it looks like a good'un!

Ozzie, you got any inside info on this episode? Or, at least, anything else we should know?

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

What time is this show on usually. I missed the last one but heard whispers around the cong about it. I am very interested to see what this show is about...

• gerry
    gerry

8:30am Adelaide channel nine NSW 9:30 am channel nine

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Thanks for that... i might give a few people I know a heads up about this one...

• Gill
    Gill

Hi Gerry! Welcome!

Let us know how the show goes, please.

Thanks

Gill

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

We should be able to get a transcript after the show at

http://sunday.ninemsn.com.au/sunday/

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    Ozzie, you got any inside info on this episode? Or, at least, anything else we should know?

Steph,

My take is that there's plenty of stuff coming up since they initially approached us.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/8/87884/1.ashx

Stay tuned, eh?

Cheers mate,

Ozzie

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    At the time church leaders played down the story and told the flock that the information was not true and telling the flock that the people appearing in the show were apostates

G'day gerry,

At the time the Branch overseer put out a statement that contained a factual lie which was passed on to SUNDAY to add to the material that wasn't even aired at the time, there was just so much "goods" they've got on the Australia dub scene - these are 'interesting' times, eh?

Cheers, Ozzie

• gerry
    gerry

G'day Ozz

interesting times alright. my mail is that unlike the first show where they had to work really hard to have people to appear on the show. this time they had heaps of victims willing to tell their story and many JW's willing to go public.

I believe that because JW's are convinced that it can't be true if an apostate appears on the show and no one will watch a video of it afterwards the producers have listened and are only using survivors of sexual abuse. ..... And some elders.

What do you think the chances are of getting an on camera comment from Bethel? Probably a written statement like last time. By the way what was that falsehood from last statement? ........ .....Or they might give them a video news release (VNR)......

I can't believe they are inside locked gates at Bethel while the local elders have to deal with something they are not trained or prepared for.

regards Gerry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit