Ozzie's Weekend Poll #134 (It's about the Awake! again!!!)

by ozziepost 20 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day all,

How have things been with you this past week? Hope it's been better than mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still I'm reassured by one of my favorite texts, one that has sustained me through difficulties:

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." - Romans 8:28 (NIV)

I think expecially of those words "in all things".

So we look for hope where there's adversity, the "silver lining", and there sure has been much of that! At last all my children are sharing with us, even Bethelites sent a meal for Mrs Ozzie one day!!!!!!!!!! Good heavens!

Apart from an InBox full of greetings from around the world, I even had visits from hospital staff who'd been told we were there and wanted to come and offer support.

Many cards have been coming each day, and a small card arrived from Vivamus just as I was about to go in to surgery. How kind! She knows Mrs Ozzie and I would love to be in Holland. Hell, I'd love to be anywhere but where I've been lately!

Now how about tthe shiraz? Well, stuff it, I asked my daughter last night to select a good one from the cellar and she picked a Burton Cab/Sav which I moderately shared. Now that felt good. Not quite the shiraz but near enough, eh? I had to make a choice; codeine or shiraz? Well, what would you choose? Really, there's no contest!

So, now that the surgeons have proved again that I still have a brain, I'd better try using it! So let's poll!

Our polls of late have largely explored the significance of 'downsizing' the "Awake!" magazine's importance and its ramifications. What hasn't been explored is something that you may have wondered about in recent times, so here it is:

Why isn't the "Awake!" available online?

1. It would be free.

2. It would encourage "the brothers" to use the worldly internet.

3. They need the "donations" from the print copies.

4. The G.B. don't have computers.

5. Service Department don't want the I.T. department to expand.

6. They just love the magazines!

7. They love the smell of the paper.

8. They can carry the Awake! with them wherever they go.

9. You can't show web page hits as placements.

10. They want to boast of circulation figures.

11. You can't offer a laptop on the train.

12. It's not that important.

13. The R&F would be given an excuse to spend more time in front of their PC screens.

14. Beats me - do you know?

15. Other (please detail)

So what do you think? We'd love to 'hear', so get your replies in and don't forget.............................

Enjoy!

Cheers, Ozzie (not quite braindead class)

• Scully
    Scully

Glad you're still with us Ozzie

Now, on to the poll!

Why isn't the "Awake!" available online?

Because it would render the door-to-door work meaningless. I mean even more meaningless than it already is!

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

15. Because the G.B. is afraid too many people will find out that it really is Afake!

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Ozzie! Glad to see you're back with your poll-taking cap on again!

I think it's a good mix between #1 and #2. Money and not wanting JWs being on the 'net. (TOO many temptations!)

hugs,

Annie

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Their stand makes me realize how they really do not have the troof.

The USAToday is available freely online. Advertisers still pay money for web presence. Most of all biz have a presence on the web too. Yet newpapers and magazines still also have a print version.

Given the new technologies in print on demand they could easily distribute the WT & Awake via printable PDF's that each PO at the congo level could print out at Kinko's or print out a few hundred copies w/ a high end Xerox color printer / binding machine that each circuit could invest in. Or heaven forbid let each publisher print out on his/her own computer. But obviously they don't want Dubs on the net. They could probably slash 1/4 or a 1/3 of the Bethel staff this way.

But they don't want a searchable database or workable web site since people could then find all their inconsisencies. Instead they must endure coming to meetings and FS for months and years to get the answers they seek.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

15. Becuase it would be too close to Google and very simple to cut and paste

Think of all the misquotes used. Well it would be easy to check. The R&F would do this not to double check, but to print it as supportive proof of Awake statements. What a suprise they would find.

steve

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

very interesting point, Steve

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    Given the new technologies in print on demand they could easily distribute the WT & Awake via printable PDF's

Can you just imagine how this would be announced to the R&F??

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3
    3. They need the "donations" from the print copies.

Hardly anyone at the door gives a contribution for the Awake! or any other publication - because JW's rarely ask for one.

Most of the "Worldwide Work" fund is coming from the R&F as an "intangible" concept.

But without the excuse of additional printing costs (cited as a reason for the recent $1.4 million bill for US travelling overseers) that concept would evaporate in the mind of the average publisher.

So the WTS continues to do what it does best, publish boilerplate as cheap as it can and market the inflated value of its product directly to the members - not the public.

• Undecided
    Undecided

1-14. You about nailed it I think.

Ken P.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit