Do You Still Show Respect To A Person Because Of His/Her Religion?

by minimus 24 Replies latest jw friends

• M.J.
    M.J.

I think it's hard for JWs to show respect for anyone's religion when they're so indoctrinated to "hate" the "man of lawlessness". I can see how at times that can linger on in a person after leaving the JWs.

• Truth2Me
    Truth2Me

I am respectful, but I find it difficult to maintain that respect if I am being attacked by someone because I do not believe as they do.

I think that one very good thing that I have learned since I was Df'd is how to see the controling affect that high-control groups have over those in their care. That is true for big corporations as well as religions.

It's sometimes hard to be respectful when you know that the person you care about is under the controlling grasp of someone or something, as many here have experienced, and that the control is harming them, and preventing them from truly being themselves and seeking a relationship with their creator rather than seeking to please men.

That's the truth to me.

• Scully
    Scully

Maybe when certain religions stop preaching intolerance and blowing people up simply for having a different set of beliefs, they'll be able to earn my respect.

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

Well I do take that into consideration when communicating with an individual, but on a forum like this if I was to talk about religion in general then I'm not going to avoid saying every single thing that a religious person may potentially find offensive, because then the point would never be made.

I think sometimes when you deal with this issue people have this attitude where when it comes to religion it is an area that is completely untouchable, but basically that is like the most insecure thing the ego has identified with - the first sign of questioning it then one might cry bloody murder. But if we always leave that alone then people would never see that there's a problem with their beliefs, and you can forget about any kind of reasoning.

Taken to an extreme, it is as if the individual's consciousness has disassociated or disfellowshipped the world from themselves, and the only way you can interact with them is through that limited belief structure. (no dealings with "worldlings" outside of service for example) Of course, what probably happens more often is the person just compartmentalizes religion, and knowing that other people may not agree they take the defensive position that people must not question anything in that compartment. But if a person really has a strong faith then it should be able to withstand some questioning, which is not necessarily done in an insulting way. Someone who is really interested in truth would not just hold their beliefs so closely, but to allow them to be tested and let it go if it proves to be untrue. Hopefully in that process one may see how attached they are to their beliefs, and that that attachment is not what being a "lover of truth" is about.

"My Precious..." -Gollum

• talesin
    talesin

min,

Can you see yourself ripping pages out of the Koran or New World Translation and throwing it in the toilet?

I like,,, provocative, yet subtle.

Scully, lol ;)
    t

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit