Do You Still Show Respect To A Person Because Of His/Her Religion?

by minimus 24 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Just because a person is a JW, Hindu, Catholic, a Satanist-----does it mean that you think it's ok to be insulting to them?

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I try to show everyone respect but I gotta admit that I find fundy Christians irritating, same as JW's but without the nasty aftertaste of years of shunning and the deadly blood policy.

GBL

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I go out of my way to be respectful of someone's beliefs , because I know that I just have not found my own belief system and try to listen , keep an open mind.

I really respect Little Toe and Billygoat for their strong relgious beliefs. And they are so good about understanding that I just don't know what I believe and encourage me without being self righteous or preachy.

The other day my brother in law, Baptist was on his way to church and I respected that. I told him to pray for me, and I really meant it. I figure I can use all the help I can get.....lol.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Always did... people believe what they believe............. I was raised to respect that.

and as I've noted before I wasnt a "good" JW............................

~Hill

• minimus
    minimus

Can you see yourself ripping pages out of the Koran or New World Translation and throwing it in the toilet?

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I keep an open mind. A person is not the religious group they choose to associate with and visa-versa. I try to take everyone on their own individual merit.

I do have some predudices based on personal history: People of middle-eastern descent, men of muslim background. Again, I try to take each person as an individual.

An no, it is not ok to be insulting to them because of their beliefs. Actions are a different story.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Ironically I'm most intolerant of fellow Christians who trample on hurt people with a hard sell. I find it insensitive and offensive.

I'm generally tolerant of people regardless of their beliefs, or lack thereof!
    We all make our individual pilgrimage through life, and there's a fag-paper between us, IMHO.

(((Dede)))

• avishai
    avishai

To their face, no, I'm not insulting. But I also don't go out of my way to hang out with fundies. I do have a couple neato mormon buddies. But i only see them a couple times a yr. if that.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier
    Can you see yourself ripping pages out of the Koran or New World Translation and throwing it in the toilet?

No way! ( have a difficult time destroying ANY book, even fiction! ) There was an older woman who came through our neighborhood a couple years back that used to take pages out of the bible, at random I think, and stuff them in doors, mailboxes, under car door handles, etc. She was doing her own witnessing, but I have no idea what her affiliation was, if any. Once she actually knocked on our door and when I answered she said something to the effect of "Jesus loves you and wants you to know that", I said thank you, and she turned and left. Her heart was in a better place than many witnesses! I have great respect for anyone, even witnesses, who walk their own talk without preaching, and live up to their "religious" ideals without going overboard. I've even known a couple of JW's who behaved this way.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

:Can you see yourself ripping pages out of the Koran or New World Translation and throwing it in the toilet?

That's funny mini. I think a person would have to be pretty disturbed to actually stand there tearing pages and flushing em down the toilet. Now running out of toilet paper is a different story..

GBL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit