When God Hides His Face

by teejay 15 Replies latest jw friends

• teejay
    teejay

David and Nancy both carry a recessive gene for a disorder called Zellweger Syndrome, a disease for which there is no cure. Against 1 in 100,000 odds, they had a child who was born with the syndrome. They named her Hope, who struggled with life for 199 days. (After learning she had the disease, David got a vasectomy.)

Since they knew she wouldn't live long, they celebrated her birthday monthly with birthday parties. It was said she lacked the brain capacity to suffer, but Nancy is not so sure--some nights her daughter whimpered for hours. One night in the seventh month, David went to check on her. Her body was really cool. She was gone. Nancy changed her daughter's diaper one last time.

Now, in spite of his vasectomy, they are expecting another child. He shared the news with their church. After recounting Hope's brief history, he announced, "we're now expecting a child, a little boy." His listeners oohed, ahhed and applauded. "Thank you," David said. "And this little boy will be born with the same syndrome Hope had." Quite audible on the videotape of the event is the sound of several hundred people gasping. Their new child, expected July 16, will almost certainly be dead within a year.

Some of their fellow church members have cast a positive light on their ordeal.

"I think David and Nancy have been entrusted with something [God] couldn't entrust to anybody else," says one. "I think God is intrigued with your faithfulness," he tells David.

"With Hope, the rubber met the road," another said. "At a time like this, you either believe or not." He says the group finally concluded that "we will go down with the ship, believing in our hearts that God is in control."

Some thought this recommitment may have been part of God's plan. At Hope's memorial, Bob, a group member who has since died of heart failure, said, "The Bible says, 'A little child shall lead them.' Make no mistake about it; this dear, precious child did lead us."

But that rationale was more satisfying before the news of this new pregnancy. "Why twice?" asks Bob's widow. "What can God be thinking? Why not give somebody else this experience and let them do some growing?" Nancy says, "I don't think God is obligated to relate His reasons to me."

David relates that recently a neighbor said to him, "Forgive me. I'm not as holy as you are. This kind of thing makes me want to look up and say, 'God? What the f*** are You doing?'"

One Sunday-group participant, remarks of God that "if You took my son, I wouldn't doubt You were alive; I just wouldn't talk with You anymore."

Nancy recalls that after Hope died, she was reading the story of the leper who says to Jesus, "Lord, if You are willing, make me clean." Jesus cured him, replying, "I am willing."

"When I looked at that," says Nancy, her eyes welling up, "I thought He was saying to me, 'I was not willing [to spare Hope].'"

Yet, Nancy believes "God's thoughts are perfect." She has even begun to wonder whether such prayers aren't a bit lazy, secular America's tendency to seek comfort rather than moral challenge. Nancy was surprised when several Christian friends suggested that no one would judge her if she had an abortion, an option the couple never considered.

Says David: "Without a couple of bedrock assumptions, none of this makes sense to anybody."

• Seeker
    Seeker
    Yet, Nancy believes "God's thoughts are perfect."

When you start with that foundation, and never waver from it, you are forced to explain away every atrocity that comes along. So these parents will have to assume there is a lesson for them, or a test, or a growth opporunity, whatever.

In that, it's not that much different from a battered wife making excuses for her abusive husband: "It must be my fault; I must have done something, etc."

• teejay
    teejay

Seeker,

Recently, someone (I forget who) said that the Society's way is to establish a truth, a conclusion, and then finding scriptural proof that will support it. That basic maxim also applies to even non-JWs whose belief system stands on the basic tenet of "there is an all-powerful, all-loving god who is in control of everything," a belief for which there is no tangible proof.

The scientific method starts with empirical data, the formation of a hypothesis, experimentation and verification, then arriving at a conclusion. I like that method better. Not nearly as glamorous but a lot more sound.

I feel sorry for David and Nancy, although of the two, David seems to be the least religious, less willing to attribute everything to god's intervention. I thought it was interesting where he said, "Without a couple of bedrock assumptions, none of this makes sense to anybody."

It was a sad story. It made me think of dubs. If their newborn arrived on time, he should be about two weeks old.

peace,
    todd

• Quester
    Quester

Maybe the question to answer is not
    WHY did this happen?
    We can drive ourselves crazy with that one.
    But
    How will I respond?
    Sometimes we need to learn how to live
    in the questions.
    Quester

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

"If in this life only we have hoped in Christ," then indeed we are to be pitied for our faith. But if this life is not the only life and if indeed death yields to God and Christ in the end then it throws a whole new light on things. I was once hurt so badly in an accident that I found myself wishing for death for the pain to stop. Obviously my wish did not come true. The pain did not stop...for a long time. Eventually it did, however, and now I look back on the experience with the wisdom of hindsight and I'm glad I was not granted my wish. The point is, the pain is now only a memory.

-Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it-

• Prisca
    Prisca

Who said God had anything to do with the life and death of this child? Or of the new child? Did the children appear miraculously? Or did the parents have to engage in sexual intercourse in order for this child to be conceived? I know the guy had a vasectomy, but those things aren't 100% fool-proof.

I'm sorry if this sounds a little harsh, but I sometimes wonder why people drag God into things that are just part and parcel of this world. Life is unjust. Things are unfair. I've had my fair share of troubles just as this family has, and no doubt most of you reading this. I don't blame God for things that have happened. Same as I don't necessarily thank him for every good thing that happens.

We're all in this together. We have to live this life the best we can.

• Rex B13
    Rex B13

TeeJay

>The scientific method starts with empirical data, the formation of a hypothesis, experimentation and verification, then arriving at a conclusion. I like that method better. Not nearly as glamorous but a lot more sound.

Oh really? How does science verify evolutionary THEORY that cannot be demonstrated? Can they create life by combining non-life like Dr. Frankenstein? Where are all the intermediaries that should exist now and in the fossil record? How can you draw a textbook picture of the various man-apes from a tooth, a jaw and a shin bone? Where is your next research grant coming from if you don't seek conclusions that your peers agree with? One of my favorites now is the idea that organs like the eye appeared suddenly during 'evolution' and did not gradually develop.....
    Hmmm, must have been a MIRACLE, eh?
    Rex

• Seeker
    Seeker
    Oh really? How does science verify evolutionary THEORY that cannot be demonstrated?

It can be demonstrated. Haven't you been listening all these years?

Can they create life by combining non-life like Dr. Frankenstein?

Evolution is not about the creation of life. Haven't you been listening all these years?

Where are all the intermediaries that should exist now and in the fossil record?

They are everywhere. Haven't you been listening all these years?

How can you draw a textbook picture of the various man-apes from a tooth, a jaw and a shin bone?

Still dragging out discredited WTS false arguments?

Where is your next research grant coming from if you don't seek conclusions that your peers agree with?

From the grantors that have opposite ideaologies, no doubt.

One of my favorites now is the idea that organs like the eye appeared suddenly during 'evolution' and did not gradually develop.....

Still reading red herrings about evolution, I see.

• teejay
    teejay

Hi, Prisca. Long time, my Friend.

Who said God had anything to do with the life and death of this child? I'm sorry if this sounds a little harsh, but I sometimes wonder why people drag God into things that are just part and parcel of this world. Life is unjust. Things are unfair.

It's probably my fault, but I only posted snippets of the article. If you want, I can send you the whole thing. In it, David, the husband, has the attitude that god had nothing to do with the birth defects of his children, that it was just a matter of bad genetics. It's his wife (and others of his church who have an overwhelming faith in "god") who interjects god's hand into it.

I'm with you--I don't blame 'God' for the bad in my life or thank him for the good. Most (if not all) of what's happened to me--the good and the bad--has been due to good/bad luck and products of the good/bad descisions I've made. Period.

I don't think the David of the magazine article would have a problem with that.

• teejay
    teejay

Whaddup, Rex? You asked good questions. Maybe dunsscott would be better suited to answer, or larc. Perhaps I should have started my comment to Seeker with "usually the scientific method is ..."

I seem to recall in seventh grade science class something about lab experiments on fruit flies, vis-à-vis evolution--the problem with "proving" evolution experimentally is that it takes so damn long... As far as I know, life has not been created out of non-life in any lab or surely I would have heard about it. As far as the " intermediaries that should exist now and in the fossil record"... it's something that I have always wondered about, also. The so-called "missing links" between humans and apes should be all over the place, I agree, but where are they? Again, I am poorly qualified to address your query. It's just another of those conundrums that keeps me from becoming an all-out atheist.

Lastly, your question: "Where is your next research grant coming from if you don't seek conclusions that your peers agree with?" definitely points to the human bias that exists even in the scientific arena, an imperfection that leans toward covering up vital truths while giving continued life to falsehood.

All too often it matters which "camp" you're in. This truth can be seen over and over again in practically every sphere of human interaction, whether in a science lab, in a Kingdom Hall, in politics, or on an on-line discussion board. Wherever you find humans, you'll find this ubiquitous component. Who you are is often as important (if not more so) as what you have to say. It's a stifling fact of human nature, to be sure.

Still, I like the scientific approach to arriving at truth. Instead of starting with a premise and looking for proof like the Watchtower does, generally true truth-seekers start at the other end, with the facts, before saying "this, that or the other is true."

peace

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit