Did losing your religion send you into/exacerbate depression?

by SixofNine 29 Replies latest jw friends

• lucky
    lucky

sixofnine,

I left because I had "seen the light", but I guess I should really rephrase that to I had "seen the glow", because when I left, I hadn't been to this site, or even looked up Jehovah's Witnesses on the internet (I was so brainwashed about "apostates" it actually took me three years after I left to get up the courage to type "Jehovah's Witnesses" into google and I was shaking so much I thought I was going to have a heart attack!). I had told myself at a young age (12-ish) that if the society ever changed the teaching on the 1914 generation doctrine that that was my sign that it was not the truth. I had some concerns with various doctrines over the years, but I hadn't read anything apostate (and I was raised a witness), so the concerns weren't too well formulated in my mind. It took me two years after the generation doctrine change to finally get up the courage to leave (my immediate family are all witnesses, so that of course was a major consideration), and even when I did leave, I was so mixed up about everything, I just felt like I was in a big fog for the first year or so. I didn't know how many of the society's teachings I really still believed, or whether I wanted to remain a Christian, or if I even believed in God. Then the enormous sense of freedom finally kicked in and things got better. On my own (and with my husband's help), I started to realize how ridiculous a lot of the teachings were. When I finally found Randy's site and this site, and read Crisis of Conscience, mentally, things really started to fall into place.

• Preston
    Preston

As with the case when Britain lost India...I was saddened, but very much relieved...

- Preston

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

The cognitive dissonance was really tough to get over, one of the toughest things I have faced so far in my life. But it does pass. If you're a newb and going through that feeling of rejection, wondering what your old friends think of you, thinking you might not ever have any good friends again.. hang in there. With time, I swear, life does get better than you may have ever experienced. It did for me.

Making the decision to take your own life by the reins and make things happen is the key, along with patience. You deserve it because getting out of the JW's was the right thing to do and YOU are the honest, good person. Be strong and pound your life into the sort of person you want to be. Become who you are.

GBL

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

I would answer this question but I'm too busy sorting out my antidepressants and other drugs.

Cathy L.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

depression came from when my super dub ex cheated on me with my younger sister, got df'd, for 4 yrs no elder called me, (although they did call him and borrow equipment and money,and the one time they came over was when HE threw me into a fridge when i was 5 mos pregnant and he got scared he hurt me so he called the elders to discuss my bad attitude and poor housekeeping skills .(.SEE THAT EGG ON THE FLOOR? SHE DIDNT CLEAN IT UP!)........ no one invited me and my kids to any gatherings or dinners or anything, no one offered me compassion, counsel, ANYTHING. i kept going to the meetings for that 4 yrs.. three days after he was reinstated we were invited to a congregation gathering........i didnt go.......and it was shortly after that i quit going to the meetings and turning in time. hypocrits.

fast forward another year, i left the ex because of our fighting and his abuse, i had to leave my kids or leave buried in the back yard. (threats )

i left a business, 2 houses, several newer model cars, no alimony, had to sign off on everything because 1. he put a lot of stuff in other peoples names when i left and 2. i didnt have 500 bux for a lawyer. had to move out of the area because the ex kept pestering me for sex, now i'm 90 miles away with no way of going to see my kids regularly, 38 yrs of being a submissive wife and mother, no skills, bad panic attacks and the fear of being alone prevented me from keeping a job, so now i'm on disability. dirt poor and dont own anything but old clothes.. ... how could i not be depressed?

i think though losing my religion has sent me into an impotent anger state . i wanna hit something / someone but theres no one to hit. ok long rant that you've all heard before..sorry..but I FEEL BETTER! gotta vent on occasion!

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Candilynuts--I am so sorry for what you went through. Are you ever able to see your kids? (not being nosy just wondering)

I was already suffering from depression and the JW thing just made it worse. My life felt surreal until I started taking Prozac. Now I'm thinking that if my parents were good parents (they weren't JWs they were just negative, nutty and neglectful to their kids), I probably would not have become involved with them in the first place. I think I was looking for something to take the place of the family life I didn't have.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

yes

• greendawn
    greendawn

For me leaving wasn't an upsetting thing as I had been fading, and thinking out their doctrines for years and I had a good idea as to why it was correct and desirable to leave. Then having a job and a girl was good.

It took longer to totally neutralise all their effects as unfortunately in the mid 80's there was no internet and I had lingering doubts on some points.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts
    Candilynuts--I am so sorry for what you went through. Are you ever able to see your kids? (not being nosy just wondering)

i seen them thanksgiving and my oldest is supposed to bring met the younger 2 sunday for 2 weeks till their assembly day ...then hopefully more thruout the summer but they have district con. too..

the older 2 , ones married and one is 16 and is working this summer but hopefully will get to see those 2 as well.

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

when my theological implants failed, I felt a great relief at being let loose from the prison my mind had been trapped in by the JW logic traps I had been infected with:

WE WERE BORG!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit