Third World WTS

by gringojj 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gringojj
    gringojj

The WTS is growing rapidly in poor countries this we know. But my question is how are things conducted in these areas? The WTS could be baptising people left and right just to show the number of JWs worldwide is increasing. I think the WTS is even more dangerous in these countries because at least Americans have an idea about them because of thier past and reputation when they come to our door, but in poor countries they may know nothing and may not have access to the internet to check them out. But the question is who is running things in these places? If they are just shotgun baptisms, then i wouldnt think there would be enough people to serve as elders, po's, co's, things like that. And if they have people from the USA for example, how do they keep tabs on the people there? Like i wonder if dubs poorer nations are turning in thier bros and sis's left and right to elders. Does anyone have any insight or experience on whats really going on? And how do we know for sure that these people even exist and that the WTS doesnt make them up knowing that nobody is going to go to these places to verify the numbers?

• gringojj
    gringojj

Anyone?

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Don't be too sure that people in Third World Countries are that naive. Four years ago I was in Kenya and Tanzania and there were more people hooked up to the internet than I had expected. In time, numbers even in these places will drop too.

• gringojj
    gringojj

I thought this would be a good thread. Anyone?

• gringojj
    gringojj

Wow, anyone?

• greendawn
    greendawn

Gringojj, the subject is very interesting but I think the problem is that most people here are from -developped- English speaking countries that have little or no experience or at least knowledge about the third world. Perhaps a few do.

As for the numbers they could well be cooked so as not to demoralise the JWs with a drastically falling total of members. They are after all a very dodgy and deceitful lot and this is an easy trick to play. They almost certainly cooked the numbers of the annointed, 8000 in the year 2005 when they should all be dead by now save perhaps a few hundreds.

• gringojj
    gringojj

But they must have missionaries from developed countries out there. has anyone on this site ever been out there or heard of anyone who has? Has anyne ever seen a watchtower in any really funky laguage?

• gringojj
    gringojj

But they must have missionaries from developed countries out there. has anyone on this site ever been out there or heard of anyone who has? Has anyne ever seen a watchtower in any really funky laguage?

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

gring,

I'd be very interested in knowing this too, but any input from me would be pure speculation so I have refrained from posting.

Perhaps it would be similar to the increase that occurred some time back in the poor areas of developed countrys. It was not a wholesale baptism, rather, the materialist message appeals to those with less education, and more poverty.

I had kin who were missionaries in a very undeveloped country, the preaching was carried on there much like here. This was about 10 years ago though. I have no current knowlege of this.

• Spook
    Spook

I've traveled extensively and my brother is an MTS student. Here's my take on the the foreign work:

Jehovah's Wtiness structure appeals primarily to moderate protestants. If the authority of the Papacy is accepted prima facie, then witness reasoning on doctrines can go nowhere (exactly like the authority of the FDS.). Charismatic and fundamentalist christendom loses few to witnesses because it is based on a non falsifiable personal experience whereing they "just know."

Most converts have in common a shallow interest in "proving" their faith, but already respect the bible and Christianity. JW's are woeful at converting Islamic or Hindu believers. Converting a Buddhist/Taoist is a completely different story. In general, those backgrounds are on a totally different level of discourse, and unless the believer is not satisfied with their religious experience, JW's will be unable to find any sort of a common ground to reason off of.

I say again: Most converts come from protestantism. A second factor I've noticed is that JW's success in foreign lands is interesting when compared with the missionary activities of other groups. I've found the most drastic growth to be in (1) lands where mainstream missionaries were active several decades ago, but left behind little structure in rural areas, and (2) lands that are open to missionaries, but where mainstream religions have not yet concentrated. In lands where both JW's and other groups are proselytizing you will find that the rate of growth of the witnesses is not that different from some other groups.

Finally, I feel that the 2nd world nations are more receptive to JW theology. Generally, third world populations are in such despair that they vehemently hold on to their beliefs and can not be shaken from them by reasoning and quiet, persistent practicality. Second world nations often have people who are dissatisfied with their lot in life, feel sort of trapped in "the system", and like the pride that comes with feeling like they know The Truth (even though they lack an education).

Cheers

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit