The Best of Brits.

by Englishman 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

Just curious..

We had a poll here in the UK as to who was the most famous Brit of all time. I was so underwhelmed that I can't remember who even won it. It wasn't Churchill, that's for sure.

So I just wondered what people in other countries were thinking.That's if they are thinking, of course.

Do you have a favourite Brit? Or do you think that we aren't fit to live with pigs? Worse, maybe you think that we are fit to live with pigs!

So come on then...is there a Brit that you like or admire? Alive or dead?

Englishman.

• Undecided
    Undecided

You are the only one that has made any kind of impression on my mind. So I guess you are my favorite Brit. Someday before I die I would love to come over to see you and your family and visit a pub.

Ken P.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Well TIME magazine in all it's wisdom nominated Edison as "person of the millenium", yes millenium, not century...

I quote "1 THOMAS EDISON 1847-1931
    Because of him, the millennium will end in a wash of brilliant light rather than in torchlit darkness as it began. In 1879, Thomas Edison gave humans the power to create light without fire, by inventing a long-lasting, affordable incandescent lamp."

However, as we all know, " they were being used as electric lights for more than 50 years prior to his patent date.

In addition, Edison was not the first to patent the modern design of the lightbulb. It seems that an inventor named Joseph Swan demonstrated the same carbon filament lightbulb in Newcastle at least ten months prior to Edison's announcement. In addition, Swan received a British patent in 1878 for the same bulb that Edison patented in the U. S. in 1879."

So, another case of American literature re-writing history.

• ballistic
    ballistic

So, in protest against TIME magazines obvious blunder, I nominate Joseph Swan.

• luna2
    luna2

The Beatles! LOL

• mouthy
    mouthy

George Formby
    Aurther Askey
    Also the present days Queen's Father ( cant remember his name ( alzheimers) The one that stuttered - I think it took guts to accept the throne after Windsor abdicated for the women he loved... I must have been so hard to give speeches with that impediment.

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

Fellow Brit here! Just joined the site. Hhhhmmm Best Brit??? Im very much into football (proper football, not the american padded kind!) so on that alone I admire a host of footballers, the best being George Best (NORTHERN Irish thus still British) Bobby Moore and now Steven Gerrard. Musically the Beatles and more recently Oasis.

• Duncan
    Duncan

Michael Palin

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

In the BBC poll, Winston Churchill did win

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/programmes/greatbritons.shtml

Personally, if I gave it real thought I would vote for a man of peace rather than war - Isaac Newton probably

Or SIMON GREEN !

• Preston
    Preston

Thomas a' Becket.... and I would include Jarvis Cocker as a close second

- Preston

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit