My Nan's Pentecostal Funeral

by GetBusyLiving 14 Replies latest jw friends

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I got back yesterday from Newfoundland, where my nan had just died a little over a week ago. I was pretty upset that I wasn't able to see her one last time as she had died one day before I got there. All in all the family held up as well as can be expected.

My grandmother was a devout pentecostal woman and dearly wanted her family to be 'saved' so as to be able to see her again one day in heaven with Jesus. My private conversations with her were different though.. she respected me and my decisions in life and was a real source of strength for me in leaving the dubs. She conceded that she actually believed that it was fine and good for a person to read the Bible at home and that to have faith was all that was needed to live forever in heaven. I never tried to convince her that the Bible wasn't inspired but I did let her know a few months ago that I am an athiest. She then said something that I'll never forget, "Life is only a dream, isnt it Sheldon? Go on and enjoy your life." That was her being honest with herself and somebody that she dearly loved in her family. Deep down she wasn't certain in Christianity, she doubted things, and she could get scared and lonely. She was human, probably the best one I've met so far. If you knew all the shit she had dealt with in her life it would blow your mind.

For about the first part of the funeral service everything went smoothly with nice memories of my nan being related and and a few poems being read out. Then the preacher started to preach. I don't know if you have ever been to a pentecostal service but let me tell you it's an experience all in itself. This guy all but singled out my mom and myself by bellowing "There are some among us that have flown from far away to be here that have not come to accept the healing power of the lord Jesus - AH!" ( The guy ended virtually every sentence with this "AH" sound). He screamed that "For them this really is goodbye to dear nan, and they will NEVER SEE HER AGAIN-AH, unless they come up here and get saved-AH!", and to this the congregation began to murmur things like "praise Jesus" "amen" "praise God" and "Halalujah". As you could imagine I'm gritting my teeth because I'd like to respect these people considering the loss of somebody that they dearly love, but I get feeling pissed that he's saying this shit with my mom sitting in the front row of the church mourning the death of her mother. After about another half an hour of him puking out Christian guilt in a dramatic and emotionally charged manner the service ended, and I'm proud to say that I didn't body slam him in front of the people who idolize him so dearly. The thought did cross my mind.

I just got up and walked over to the coffin with my mom. We were both crying and after staring at her for a couple of minutes my mom looked up at me with a scared expression and said that "she is so cold." I tried to smile to give her some sort of comfort but I couldn't. I just took off my thumb ring, put it in my nan's hands and gave her a kiss on the forehead.

I don't believe in heaven and hell but I think people can live forever in memories, and I'll always look up to my grandmother as somebody who truly loved life and loved her family. She will always be alive in my heart, and that's the only place I could expect to live in the heart's of my own family and friends. Life is good.

GBL

• Banshee
    Banshee

(((GBL))), my sincere sympathies to you and your family on the loss of your grandmother.I am sorry that you had to suffer through a very preachy, judging type of rant from the pastor. My husband has a brother who is very involved in the United Pentacostal church. Dennis(hubby's bro) has alienated some of the family by getting rather in their faces with proselytizing, which, I gather, their religion strongly encourages them to do.

My husband and I both believe in God (not the punishing, mean God many are taught to believe in) and we both try our best to follow Christ; however, we both feel the sort of sermon/rant you described happening at your grandmother's funeral is just wrong. That sort of thing is more likely to offend and alienate (as it did you & your mom) rather than draw people to the gospel message of Jesus.

I am glad you have many wonderful memories of your grandmother to keep her with you in your heart. She sounds like a very loving, sweet and strong person. May you find comfort in the midst of your grieving.

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

Bless you. It sounds like you came through the funeral experience just fine; your nan would be proud.

peace,

AuntieJ

• talesin
    talesin

Thanks, gbl, for sharing with us.

That was beautiful. I was there with you, and cried, laughed, and cried again. The ending felt like a group hug. Several times, you took me back to my own memories. ;)

You are so right, she will always be with you. That`s how I feel, too.

t

ps. your description of the preacher, I felt angry and it was funny, too. the laughter with the tears ... is so real .. hope you don`t mind, I have heard those guys and they are just darn weird, that must have been surreal !

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

This guy all but singled out my mom and myself by bellowing "There are some among us that have flown from far away to be here that have not come to accept the healing power of the lord Jesus - AH!" ( The guy ended virtually every sentence with this "AH" sound). He screamed that "For them this really is goodbye to dear nan, and they will NEVER SEE HER AGAIN-AH, unless they come up here and get saved-AH!",

Well, that certainly was "Christian" of him.... (what a jerk) ...

I'm one of those that do believe in life after death and that the 'gospel' that Jesus taught was VERY simple - love your neighbor. Matthew, chapter 7 comes to mind after reading your post...it's the one that starts - "Judge not, that ye be not Judge". That preacher is who Jesus was talking about in verses 22-23:

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

I'm sorry that you are having to grieve at the loss of your grandmother - my condolences. The only other thing I have to offer is to let you know that I believe that your grandmother has but step through a doorway of life's eternal journey ... I KNOW this, because of some very personal experiences. Our beliefs are different, and that's ok; but without a doubt, I know your 'Nan' lives on, and that she, you, and your mother will one day be reunited. Take care...

(maybe you should have decked the preacher.... it would have been a most memorable service for all of the "amen" shouting 'sheep'.)

Double Edge

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Evangelicals and Pentecostals, in the United States anyways, are getting to be like JW's on steroids. Sorry you had to sit through that crap.

• FMZ
    FMZ

GBL, sounds like you handled it perfectly. Keep up the good and loving work mate.

FMZ

• gold_morning
    gold_morning

Hi,

I am sorry about your Nan. I know you said you are athesist, but I wanted to share anyway. I mean it to make you feel better.

I do believe in heaven. I believe in Jesus....and HIM alone being the one I am saved by.... not religion at all!! I know when my father died these scriptures gave me allot of hope. Know I care, gold_morning

1John 5:12 says:
    "He who HAS the son Has life."

John 5:24,25 says:
    "I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and
    believes him who sent me HAS eternal life and WILL NOT
    BE CONDEMNED. He has passed over from death to life. I
    tell you the truth, a time is coming and has now come
    when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live." 1Corinthians 15:13 says: " If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ
    has been raised. Then our preaching is in vain."

John 8:51:
    "I tell you the truth, if anyone keeps my word, he
    will NEVER SEE DEATH AT ALL"

NEVER means NEVER. He did not say maybe you won't
    see death....or you will see death until I resurrect
    you later. He said you will NEVER see death.

John 11:25 says:
    "Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the
    life. He who believes in me WILL LIVE, even though he
    dies, and whoever lives and believes in me will NEVER
    DIE."

Hence, we WILL LIVE and we WILL NEVER DIE.

Paul's says in 2Corinthians 5:8: "We are confident. I say, and would prefer to be AWAY
    from the body and at home with the Lord.

Philippians 1:23 says:
    "I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be
    with Christ, which is better by far. But it is more
    necessary for you that I remain in the body."

Acts 7:59 tells us Stephen is being stoned to
    death. It says...
    "While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, "Lord
    Jesus, receive my spirit."

Ephesians 2:4
    "Because of His great LOVE for us, God, who is rich in
    mercy, made us ALIVE WITH CHRIST even when we were
    dead in our transgressions... it is by GRACE YOU HAVE
    BEEN SAVED."

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

gold morning, with all due respect,

I think he already got a scripture-laden sermon Sunday

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

: 1Corinthians 15:13 says: " If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ
    has been raised. Then our preaching is in vain." That's a good point. I apprieciate what you are trying to do, gold, I really do. It's just that I could not be a Christian now even if I wanted to. It doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever. It simply never will. If you find hope and peace in the Bible then by all means keep worshiping Jesus. If you don't, do some research. Not having faith in the Bible doesn't mean you have to disbelieve in a God. But still, thank you for trying to help me. I'm okay, though. GBL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit