Did they try to get you to do prison witnessing?

by LongHairGal 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• prophecor
    prophecor

Damn Terry, would love to hear about those moments when you gave your all and all in support of the Kingdom effort. I've heard of those who went to prison over the neutreality issue, but I've never had opportunity to talk to one.

• Terry
    Terry
    Damn Terry, would love to hear about those moments when you gave your all and all in support of the Kingdom effort. I've heard of those who went to prison over the neutreality issue, but I've never had opportunity to talk to one.

I'll start a New Topic about it and give some of the details.

I should have sat down and written all about it long ago; but, I've always supressed the way it __really__was. When I first was paroled in 1969 I returned to my local Kingdom Hall and nobody--ABSO-BLEEPING-LUTELY--nobody asked me about it. The whole congregation knew I was in there. Nobody but my best friend (a brother) came to see me either and he only visited twice. My mom came every week.

Nobody wrote me from the congregation either. Letters are a huge moral support because you are so lonely and depressed. I think a congregation letter would have boosted my morale tremendously--but, nothing.

It was as though I was somebody others could talk about to themselves as an example; but, there wasn't any love or consideration for me as a person.

I did get a lot of congregation privileges when I came home, though. They called them "servant privileges" back then. Kind of like being a "sanitation engineer" instead of a garbage man :)

If you have any specific questions, just ask away.

T.

• Balsam
    Balsam

Terry,

I am curious, has the fact of being in prison as a witness refusing to fight a war affected job prospects for you? A prison record is certainly a negative thing is most job situation. But how many prospective employers would even consider you were in prison for religious belief's.

Balsam

• Terry
    Terry

Terry,

I am curious, has the fact of being in prison as a witness refusing to fight a war affected job prospects for you? A prison record is certainly a negative thing is most job situation. But how many prospective employers would even consider you were in prison for religious belief's.

Balsam

Naturally, a prison record (of any kind) looks weird. But, to be in a cult is even worse, in my opinion. It makes you look mentally unstable!

And, that view is probably quite accurate:)

After I get to know an employer I go into detail about it. They usually understand (filtered through there experience in knowing me as a person who has moved on in life) and don't hold it against me.

But, in black and white on a job app it ain't a pretty sight.

T.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Terry:

I agree with you with it not being a pretty sight on a job application. (Not to digress) but it also doesn't sound very pretty to a prospective date, etc. to hear that you were in a cult either. I try to do like you do and let the person see the whole me before I unload this bunch of crapola on them - or else I will look like a nut job to them.

LHG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit