Did they try to get you to do prison witnessing?

by LongHairGal 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I remember them trying to get a bunch of sisters to go prison witnessing. I felt very uncomfortable about the whole thing. I voiced my concerns to an elder and was told we were only witnessing to the women and we were safe. I declined anyway.

When I went home and thought about it in more detail I realized there is a danger that perhaps they haven't thought about.

What would happen if a sister went prison witnessing and spoke to certain individuals and at some future date one of those women gets an early release for some reason. Let's say that the sister is in a shopping mall somewhere and unbeknownst to her she is spotted by this former prisoner who is perhaps with a boyfriend of dubious character and she proceeds to point the unsuspecting sister out and relates how that "sister" came to the prison and maybe she can give them money, etc., etc.

Can you imagine the possible scenario? That sister could be the victim of a carjacking or mugging in a parking lot or worse. This could also apply to a brother as well.

Think about it.

• avishai
    avishai

No, but I definitely would have done it.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

JWs in prison...

Well, they're used to taking it up the... from the GB that is.

• Terry
    Terry

When I was imprisoned from 1967 to 1969 over the Christian-Neutrality issue (as it was called) I was greatly disappointed to discover that the brothers and sisters who came to visit us JW inmates were COUNTING THEIR TIME including travel time as part of their monthly quota.

How cynical.

T.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I recall some talk of it, but never saw anyone do it.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I would have done it had I become one.

That story about the (I think) Japanese prisoner moved me.

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

I went a couple of times when I was a teenager. Went with a brother that held a bible study with some of the inmates. It was a minimum security prison, so their weren't any harden criminal there. Mostly Martha Stewart types. I actually found it pretty interesting. Not the studying, but the whole prison environment. Maybe I'm a criminal at heart!!.

• sweet tee
    sweet tee

I know of 'Christians' who minister to inmates. I think it can be a very loving and compassionate thing to do. But - Jdub style ... that would only make people feel horribly guilty (if they bought into the propaganda) and ostrasized.

I know a young man who was raised a dub and brought up on murder charges in his late teens. The 'brothers' ministered to him in jail. He beat the charge and came out a full fledged fanatic for all of about 6 months. God baptized, then dfd, been in and out of prison every since. Wonder if he still studies .

• Carmel
    Carmel

I visited my older brother when he was imprisoned for molesting his daughters. Thought I could do some good but he had his back up and refused any psychological counceling because the elders had visited and told him he would be df'd if he submitted to the regime. I'm not convinced he was telling the truth, but then nothing surprises me when it involves the cult!

I've always thought that prison and hospital ministries are more about recruiting than actually supporting the inmates with spirituality!

carmel

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

no, but maybe thats because i wasnt 'priviledged' enough! But I did try and avoid street witnessing like the plague!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit