Crazies in the kingdom hall ... but I understand them.

by ithinkisee 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

There are some people (ex-elders) in my hall that are turning really creepy ... falling in and out ... in their 50's ...

People say they can't understand how they used to be these cool elders, and now they are totally weird. Their kids are around my age and it is killing them to see their "previously elder father" falling in and out of the truth. and not just one ex-elder ... there are several with this problem.

But to me, I get it. Considering their ages (usually early to mid-50's) - after being promised 1975 and that didn't happen. Then being promised that it's "probably just a matter of months or a few years" (yes that was in a publication) at the most after that - and that didn't happen. So then you go back to the promise the Society made in Jehovah's name that "Millions Now Living Will Never Die", but then seeing the people that taught you that phrase die - it causes a little crisis in the mind. So, you then hang onto the supposed fact that the "generation" that saw the changes happen in 1914 (another promise the Society made in Jehovah's name) keeps you going, only to have THAT then taken away in 1995 with the new understanding of a generation.

One of my points to my wife when I break the news of my decision will be that I am confident that if I remain a Witness and I am still hearing that the end is "just around the corner" I too will have some serious emotional problems.

Meanwhile, these elitist snobs in my hall just shake their heads at these poor people that are trying to deal with reality - the reality that the end is NOT coming in their lifetime - if at all.

Sad, really.

-ithinkisee

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Well put ithinkisee.

Those of us of the pushing 60 yrs. old class can relate to your post. The constant doctrinal changes...the blaming the rank and file for running ahead........the lack of love.........the failed prophesy's.etc. etc...........has made us think. Thinking is looked down on though! We are suppose to be perfect cookie cutter robots with a seguay mentality and what comes out of our mouth is supposed to be unified. Something like a tape recording playing over and over. Thanks, but no thanks. I didn't want to be a slave to an organization anymore.

Everytime I would read Rev. 1:1 where John refered to himself as a slave of Jesus Christ, it made me think. And that was years and years before I actually got a computer and got on the internet or started to doubt everything. I felt even then that I was just a slave of an organization.

I'm happy to say today that I am no longer that organizational slave and that I have a Christian freedom to be a slave of Jesus Christ. The internet and especially Ray Franz writings have set me free. And my daughter is free too.

That's why I'm...........HappyDad

• talesin
    talesin

I see it in my father's eyes ... it makes me sad,, then angry,, sad ,,, angry,,, *repeat*

Good post. tks.

t

• upside/down
    upside/down

Crazies?... at the Kingdumb Hull?.....you're sh*ttin me?

Gotta be those damn apostates!

u/d

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I understand them but I don't pity them.

LHG

• Whiskeyjack
    Whiskeyjack

I agree with LHG. I have little pity for these seniors (including my parents) since they like to preach to others about critical thinking and analysis of their religious leaders/organizations but aren't allowed to exercise those human thinking obligations in reference to the "organization".

I've heard many stories about older people developing depression problems and doing their best to hide it ( as discussed in other threads). They have a lot of gall calling themselves christian (would Yeshua recognize this lot as his people?) given what's written (whether you believe it or not) about his behaviour and attitudes towards hierachies and human interaction standards.

This was the last generation (in the Developed World) buy the org.'s "message" hook, line and sinker.

W.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I understand them, and I DO pity them, even if it is a choice of religion, to many especially born/raised there is no choice; To have everything you have believed over last 30-50 years yanked back and forth, up and down, to where you aren't sure what to believe from the WTBTS anymore. That's just gotta be rough - and yes, crazy-making.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

I really believe that my grandmother just recently realised that she is going to die.

That's sad to think that a person now in her early 70's is just figuring it out.

Kwin

• Carmel
    Carmel

brief episodes of sanity disquised as "crazies" (ie falling in and out of "thee truth")

carnek

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

I too occasionally run into exfriends(exelders etc) who are in /out of that org. The first few times I would listen to their woes. Now I reckon they are just pussies, too scared to face the truth that they have wasted their best years believing a lie.. They are willing to sell their integrity rather than face being excommunicated. No sympathy here...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit