JWs And Ex-JWs--Do You Struggle With Depression Because You Were A JW?

by minimus 43 Replies latest jw friends

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

I've been struggling with it since I was a young child--but didn't know it back then. The JW thing just made it worse, I felt constantly under a black cloud that any minute God's judgement was coming and I may or may not be good enough for Jehovah. I have a lot of mental illness that runs in my family, unfortunately, so I was already predisposed. I try to take really good care of myself, and when I feel overwhelmed--I avoid situations that make me feel depressed, like visiting my dad who is a very negative person and still lives in the yucky house I grew up in with a mentally ill mother.

I am on Prozac which has greatly relieved my constant feelings of having a nervous breakdown or panicky feeling that something bad was happening to me. And I try to take walks every day and enjoy nature, and eat healthy. But I am addicted to sugar and I struggle with that daily; it makes me feel worse when I OD on sugar and chocolate.

Being a mother, I constantly worry about my kids' emotional/mental well-being. My 18 year old daughter became more and more withdrawn last year but now she's on Prozac and feels so much better and in control of her life. My son spent 2 years on Prozac when he was 8 years old--he was talking about dying and running away; he is doing really well nowadays without any meds. I am very thankful we have modern medicine and medication that helps mental & emotional illness.

• talesin
    talesin

W. I relate to your experience and am happy that you have each other. Didn't you say Mary is your sister, what an amazing family you must have.

Surviving is sometimes what we do, but we are much more than that. Eventually, and soon, if you choose to make it so, you will thrive.

tal

• jt stumbler
    jt stumbler

I use to live next to a j-dub family. 4 out of 6 were on depression medication. I use to wonder how a family who were very very active witnesses could be so depressed. I would get depressed every saturday morning when I looked out my window and saw them going out in f.s. and I was not. Yet here they were doing what they were "supposed" to do. I was glad when they moved although they were nice.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I had problems as a Jw but after leaving things settled down well within a year or two, as I could be myself, have a girlfriend, think about my own interests rather than those of a collective that would never help me or any other member.
    It helped that I never truly believed many of their trashy ideas.

I must note here that I find it tragic and strange that despite the so many ex JWs in the world, nothing was ever organised to help those coming out of that babylon to recover more quickly.
    Some people somewhere must undertake an initiative at some time to stop ex JWs from suffering passively in isolation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit