JWs And Ex-JWs--Do You Struggle With Depression Because You Were A JW?

by minimus 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Krystal
    Krystal

Everyday.

It is like being a toddler but with the responsibilities of an adult. I feel like I have to learn to live all over from the beginning again.

Not only that, but in my case I cannot see/speak to my family since they are all still members. This is the biggest cause of depression for me. I left when I was 17 and since then have not had the benefit of a set of parents to talk to. The most upsetting part to me is coming to the realization that the organization is more important to your parents/familty than you are.

I honestly think there should be clinic to help ex-jw's through the process of "re-entering" normal society!!

-Krystal

• tweety
    tweety

I was depressed while I was a JW. There is a lot of burdens put on you when your are a JW. Meetings, field service and hours, studying, bible studies....meeting up to everyones expectations. If you do anything wrong, people notice and gossip about you.

When I left...it all went away. Now I do what I want, when I want and never have to worry about people judging me.

Free at last! Dee

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Initially, I was very happy to learn the truth. But it did not take long before my whole world fell apart, and I fell into deep depression, divorce, 5 kids, no child support, suicided of family member, then disfellowshipped. I worked my way out of all this and felt very good, was very sucessful with career. But it was always nagging at me that I was DF. So, after 9 years I worked to be reinstated.

Same thing all over again, depression soon returned, but this time I was almost suicidal, took meds. Not that I would have killed myself, but my desire to live went to nothing. I was unemployed for 5 months and went days without getting out of bed. I remember waking up one morning and thinking how much I wanted to go back to sleep and wake up in Paradise. It scared me so bad, I jumped out of bed like it was on fire.

That was 5 years ago. I was never really happy as a witness.......only in the very beginning. Now that I do not go anymore I have never been happier. Everyday I feel better and live for now instead of a place way off in the future.

I remember a congo I went to in Texas and most everyone there seemed to suffering depression, like it was contagious as a catching a cold. Everyone just accepted it, it was just a very sad congo. Many at my congo now, are depressed. Now that I remember, even my best friend has been on meds, for quite some time now.

My daughter was getting very depressed, she said the meetings were all about death and destruction, so I never forced her to go anymore. I was concerned about her mental well-being.

How can anyone truely be happy when we are reminded regularly how we fall short and our only hope is to make it thru the close at hand destruction and then spend years and years cleaning up a huge mess, only to be tested again 1,000 years later.............Exhaustion can also lead to depression.

I have found it is a real problem among witnesses and very accepted illness.

purps

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

There are some statistics in the UK on this but not seen them elsewhere- but JWs do have a very high percentage of depression compared to the rest of the general population. I think it is due to the strain of never being able to do enough and even then feeling guilty about it. I would love to see soem official statistics from Canada, the USA and Australia or other places.

• kls
    kls

Living with a jw is more depressing then being one . When i was a jw i thought the same but now i know what crap it is ,life is a struggle and a fight to watch someone you care about be transform into something almost nonhuman and there is nothing you can do about it but watch and hold in your anger.

• Krystal
  • Honesty
    Honesty

YES!

Will it ever end?

The Governing Body of JW's has declared me an apostate because I worship Jesus.

I am having problems dealing with loss of family and friends due to their lies about me.

One day they are going to answer for their acts of evil and injustice.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Krysatl thankyou for those URLs. I have bookmarked them

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Here is a site ........article and stats from Western Australia

http://www.rickross.com/reference/jw/jw72.html

interesting...

purps

• Es
    Es

I left the "truth" when my ex and I seperated so i think its bit of both that attributed to my depression. Then it turned mostly as a result of the "truth" as my parents are still in the borg i felt really guilty for my son that he would be snubbed by my parents as a result of my choice. Now i feel great no guilt but its taken me a long time es

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit