Needle exchange opened today across from my shop

by orbison11 36 Replies latest jw friends

• orbison11
    orbison11

i (we) are fuming, chilliwack is a small town outside vancouver , bout 100,000

our only needle exchange was ousted from their temporary spot to right across from my shop, i am a small nail/esthetics women only shop,,,,,needless to say i am livid, along with the senior condo ($180,000) owners across and beside

i, along with a retired prominent lawyer, and many businesses, a[t managers are going on an all out assault

it is called,,,O.C.T. (operation clinic takedown) we are going to swarm the downtown, many of them seniors sat and sun and monday this lawyer is taking me to meet the people i need to meet to make this happen

it is scarey and excillirating at the same time, if they stay i am closed in a month,,along with many other little shops around me,,,,,,will let you know what hapens

maybe running for mayor is next on my agenda

wendy

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Oy Oy Oy ... What are those seniors thinking?

It really is a shame when people refuse to step out of their "comfort zone" to help someone who can't help themselves. Everyone has a "not in my backyard" approach to these problems, but ignoring them won't make them go away. Do you think that because there is a needle exchange there that people are going to sit in front of your store and shoot-up? Is that what the problem is?

Needle exchanges are a good thing. People do drugs everywhere and many, once hooked are not strong enough to dig themselves out of the hole they are in. Dirty needles spread infectious diseases such as Hepatitis and HIV. A needle exchange helps in preventing this spread, and may save someone's life because of this.

It would be a shame for someone to finally dig themselves out, only to find out they've been infected with HIV because the only place to get clean needles was shut down by a bunch of seniors who didn't want it in their backyard. It would be worse for that person to die for the same reason.

Sorry, no sympathy here.

Kwin

• orbison11
    orbison11

oy oy is right

we now have over 1000 registered heroin users and street prostitutes coming to our residential area,,,,,how can that be good for the seniors, which are the most populace there? how can it be good for the businesses that are struggling as it is?

crime will escalate, shops providing services for children will close.......there is a need to take care of all, but not in that type of area

• Mary
    Mary

Um.....I feel stupid asking this, but what the heck is a "needle exchange"?

• talesin
    talesin

The needle exchange here is a quiet place. Some folks hanging out, having coffee. Lots of support there amongst the addicts. I go there to get my free condoms and no, I'm not an addict, just poor and condoms are expensive.

It's a difficult pill to swallow, orbi, I understand. And you are the one 'on the spot' w/ your business being right there. As an issue, I am with Kwin, but on a personal note, I see your points.

I empathize w/ you, but still wonder, where are they supposed to set it up? In a crime-ridden neighbourhood where the drug sellers will be hanging out obviously, trying to suck them into another score? Most of these folks are trying to maintain their sobriety, and would prolly help you out w/ your gardening rather than steal from you.

After all, most of the B&E's are committed by teens , that is the truth --- the very middle-class kids from your neighbourhood, who want some bux to buy a new X-box game, a case of beer, or a gram of weed.

A hard issue, that's for sure!

tal

• scotsman
    scotsman

Somewhere that intravenous drug users can swap their old needles for new ones, thus reducing rates of infection and the sharing of dirty needles which is the primary cause of HIV transmission amongst drug users.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I can understand misgivings caused by bad zoneing.

Surely, given that, just maybe, someone will contract HIV and eventually die from AIDS because they can't get clean needles, but are a sad little addict and cannot stop even though they know they are taking a risk, there's a bettre way than trying to shut it down.

There SHOULD be a needle exchange, just maybe not there.

Why not be inventive with direct action?

Buy a load of sterile needles et. al. of suitable sizes and type, and a sharps box for disposing of used needles. Then set up a needle exchange at City Hall. You will get you far better press, and be far more annoying to City Hall, which will lead to faster action.

AND there is no risk of those at risk being harmed.

... oh, and I do realise it is quite unlikely an addict will come to City Hall (or the steps outside if inside isn't possible - you could have GREAT footage of you being evicted from the inside though) and get needles, but it is the thought that counts in this case...

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Needles exchanges don't work. Addicts should be rounded into institutions and drug dealers shot. Period. Let's take the Singaporean apporach, I mean, we've already lost our democracy.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

talesin,

I go there to get my free condoms and no, I'm not an addict, just poor and condoms are expensive.

What kind of people do you sleep with who will not even dig into their pockets to buy a condom for you? I am one of the taxpayers paying for what your partner should rightly pay for.

Can I have my cash back please?

HS

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Actually, free contraception is the best value money you can spend on welfare. A modest outlay prevents unlimited potential expenditure. But I'm just a pinko-commie European

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit