xJWs--Do You Read The Bible Anymore?

by love2Bworldly 8 Replies latest social humour

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

I was wondering how some of you (ones who have been out of the Org for a while) feel when you read the Bible, or have you tried reading just the Bible--not using the New World Translation.

I still do believe in a higher being and enjoy reading the Bible. But it's a very different prospective I have on it now, my eyes have been opened and I'm reading it by itself without any WBTS literature to twist the meaning of it. I would like to quote Matthew 6:15 "But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins." (New International Version)

As I read this today, I was thinking about the way the WBTS treats people who transgress against the many rules of the Borg. Sounds like they have a lot of explaining to do to the Man Upstairs regarding their behavior.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

I read the Bible, I've even real all 73 books. One part was read from the Douay Rheims, another from the New American Bible, another from the New Revised Standard Version, and another from the Revised Standard Version. I like variety.

• Honesty
    Honesty

Every day but not a whole lot of scriptures at once. I like to read passages in their context. One of my favorites is MT. 25:36-51. I must have been totally brainwashed to believe the WTBTS when it applied these scriptures to a publishing company.

Although I own 11 bible translations the one I like best is the Holman Christian Standard.

• m. kirov
    m. kirov

YES! I have a bit of a collection now, at least 14 (including 2 NWT-which I typically don't read). I still believe the bible is God's Word, but that there is no one true, perfect translation--and defenetly not theirs! In fact, ever since I received real "new Light" this fall/ winter things have gotten so much better.

• Robert K Stock
    Robert K Stock

I still read the Bible but as literature not as a "lamp to my foot"

The best answer to the question, Do you read the Bible? is from General George Patton who replied, "Every God damned day!"

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I keep one by my computer, a New Worldly Translation, so I can look up good anti-witness fodder.

• talesin
    talesin

No, once I have read fiction, I rarely return to it.

Since I joined JWD, though, I keep one around for reference when I am reading some of the doctrinal threads and such ...

t

• Quentin
    Quentin

I have continued to read the bible. Mostly OT(excluding the prophecy books) and three of the four gosples. I can say I get more pleasure reading the bible now than in the past.

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

Yes. I do. I don't see it the same way I used to, but I am more motivated now than ever before to talk with other people about what I find in it. My motivation is coming from the right place now and I am no longer caught up in a need to change someone else.

Respectfully,
    OldSoul

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit