Three years ago this month, I left the JWs...

by logansrun 22 Replies latest jw friends

• DannyBear
    DannyBear

I can't even remember if it was 1980 or 81 when I was df'd.

Even after all these years, life as a jw is very vivid and clear in my mind. It would be nice to thourghly wash the braincells of any trace of the cult, but it ain't happening.

loves 2b said,

a liberating process, not feeling guilty for my likes/dislikes or not measuring up to the WBTS standards.

and I can only add........relief from the need or should I say 'requirement' to pass judgement on the conduct or expressions of our associates.

Jw's are masters in the art of being judgemental of every little nit pickin aspect of living. Just to rid your mind of this tendancy is a victory......and allows one to really exercise the admonition 'to live and let live'. A true joy in and of itself.

Danny

• Banshee
    Banshee

logansrun,

I think it was October or November of 1993 when I phoned the members of my immediate family (who were all active JWs then) to tellthem that I no longer wished to be a JW and would prefer that none of them try to bring me "back to the fold". I was 19 years old, living with a disfellowshipped relative who was showing a lot more "brotherly love" toward me than I'd received from the JWs during a very difficult time in my life.

I remember how lost and adrift I felt after making and announcing this decision. I had no knowledge of any ex-JW Internet community at that time and therefore had only a couple of people to look to for understanding and emotional support (disfellowshipped relatives). I pretty much went on a very self-destructive course for several years, from time to time wondering if the JWs were right and wondering if I would be destroyed in Armageddon. Sexual and physical abuse issues were all mixed up with the religion, as well. I can remember literally flinching, numerous times, when people brought up God or anything relating to the Bible or spirituality. For quite a long time, I was engulfed in feelings of loss, anger, bitterness and despair. I drank to excess often in order to assuage the pain I felt. I became increasingly aggressive and harsh in my attitude towards and dealings with others, followed by episodes of guilt, shame and remorse.

I became disillusioned and cynical after jumping into the "big, bad world". However, I learned a heck of a lot and benefitted from the kindnesses of strangers and I found out that there were a lot of decent, caring and loving people out in that world, too. After I got into recovery, I discovered more of those same types of people....I truly had some "angels", as I refer to them, put in my path. I was able to be there for my brothers and father when they decided they'd had enough of Dubdom. My mom is still in but she and I have been able to have a pretty decent relationship these past few years, since there are issues about which we have decided to agree to disagree.

I've become less cynical, a little more trusting (albeit slowly & cautiously). I've got a whole new set of friends; and these are the true-blue, through-thick-or-thin kind. I met and moved in with and then married the love of my life. I am truly blessed.

Sorry this reply is so long!I guess your initial post just triggered a lot of memories. I guess I am saying that I understand, to a certain degree. And, also, you are right where you are supposed to be on your journey. You are so much further along the path than I was three years into this process. I have a friend who says, "Twenty miles into the woods, twenty miles back out." It takes time....and we'll none of us have all the answers. I think the most important thing is to remain on the quest. Best wishes to you!

Sincerely,

Banshee

• mjarka911
    mjarka911

Good on ya, mate!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit