Anyone know about the martial arts?

by pennycandy 33 Replies latest jw friends

• pennycandy
    pennycandy

Thanks ColdRedRain for what to look for.

It seems everyone here has had good experiences. And great advice. My son can't wait to get started.

I'll be sure to post an update later.

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali
    I like the idea of teaching discipline and respect and self-control, and a boost in his self-esteem would be wonderful.

Sounds like you want something that is practical, and you also want him to learn discipline and respect. Obviously everyone would want something that is good (ideally the best style), but then there is also the time investment required - which tends to be longer for the better styles, especially when it comes to something that embodies the non-violent ideals that includes self discipline.

Depending on what is available in your area, you might want to compromise and just go with something that is pretty practical with a teacher that's pretty much just a regular guy, neither a violent egomaniac nor a sage like figure such as Mr. Miagi or Kwai Chang Kane from Kung Fu. As much as I like to see kids learn the virtues and non-violence and all that, (hey, that has nothing to do with how articulate you are ) we have to recognize that people who are examples in this regard are relatively rare, they may not be martial arts instructors, and frankly a lot of it comes with maturation anyway.

The only thing is to not let martial arts training become a hinderance in this development, and a good rule of thumb would be where the development of self-esteem makes it so you don't need to fight, rather than just being confident about fighting - perhaps even overconfident. You just have nothing to prove. A lot of techniques and mental attitude comes down to redirecting the energy another person throws at you, but there is another 'level' where you don't even redirect it - it is literally neutralized, turns into 0. So in regards to self esteem, it isn't like it is so high, you feel so confident that the insults thrown against you is weak in comparison, it doesn't fall in the same category as force against force or even a skillful redirection. It just does not touch you, so the energy dissipates. It would kind of be like the master just stepping out of the way, so the attacker never even lands a punch in the first place. The same applies to mental and social interactions.

So these are things to keep in mind for the long haul anyway, and it would be nice if you can work with a MA teacher who can reinforce it in some way or atleast does not send a contradictory message either by word or action. As long as they don't do that and are a decent enough MA instructor then you'd be doing okay.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I was thinking about what I said about the benefit of knowing you can take a hit.

I want to make it clear that I am NOT suggesting that anyone in a fight shouold PERMIT themselves to take a hit. That would be insanity. Your priority should be to not get hit - get out of the way. But in a fight, hits will land. It's good not to be stuned - "what the heck was THAT?" - when and if it happens.

I wouldn't advise any son of mine to wait for the first punch to land before they considered the fight was "on." There is a point at which the nemy has committed his intent to doing you harm. At that moment you should defend yourself.

...just felt compelled to clarify.

• Stromboli
    Stromboli

Hi,

I partially agree with Markfromcali, but at his age I don't think he can reach that state consciously, martial arts like most tings shoud be seen as a step in life not the the end.

The are very good for the body and can make a loner many friends and a bit of respect by his peers. Which can help reach and test what Markfromcali was saying.

I've done martial arts during the development years and I've been out of it for 10 years, my body is still able to do things that most people can never do and I have so many good memories. what more can you ask from it....

It' a bit like basketball when you're young you think your only option is to jump all the way to the basket when you grow older you learn that you can be much better and run a lot less if you're able to throw the ball from the 3 pionts line.(Michel Jordan)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit