No longer innocent

by fairchild 31 Replies latest jw friends

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Chris

As a non-JW I have a different background to most people on here, so my thoughts may not carry the same weight or have the same understanding or relevance as those who have lived through it.

I have only recently thought about spirituality, I am now moved almost to tears when I read the likes of Johns gospel, or Pauls letters to the Galatians, Ephesians, Romans, Corinthians. Strangely, I am only so moved having experienced friends being duped by JWs, and by knowing that I have the freedom to read the truth, unadulterated. Whether there is a God or not, and whether the Bible, Old and/or New Testaments are inspired, I do not know. I do know that the JW interpretation of the New Testament distorts what the authors intended to portray. What is clearly a doctrine of love, freedom, and morality, has somehow been altered to one of fear, hatred, deceipt and hurt.

Like you I have a King James version. JWs and exJWs on this board seem unanimous in recommending the New Jerusalem Bible, which I have just bought. It uses the Divine name Yahweh where the original authors used it in the Old Testament, but does not insert it in the New Testament, where the original authors never wrote it. Its also in very readable modern English.

I love to read scientific stuff which can blow my mind, but my any spiritual experiences seem to come when reading the New Testament, especially those moments when I see what it so plainly really means, not what some teach, or when I am with loved ones experiencing the beauty of nature.

Perhaps one thing missing for me is congregating with others who share my love of the simple truths of Christianity.

• fairchild
    fairchild
    Perhaps one thing missing for me is congregating with others who share my love of the simple truths of Christianity.

So true, jaffacake. I think about that often, and might actually join a church. The problem is that, in any church, there will always be something we have a hard time with or we can't agree with. Recently, I've been checking out the international bible students. They have a huge website and I've been reading a lot about their doctrines and such. I actually might put up a post about them, because there are so many things I don't understand about them. Here is a link, you might be interested. They don't have a "church", they are just a group of people who study the bible in their own time and at their own pace.

http://www.biblestudents.net/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit