employees from hell

by littlerockguy 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• fairchild
    fairchild

As has been said in several of the above posts, it is true that there's always at least one. You can get rid of this one, but then another one will start acting up and throwing tantrums, you can count on it. The best thing to do is not to give this person too much attention. When the person feels that the little tantrums, the calling in sick, etc... don't seem to direct all the attention in his or her direction, this person is likely to move on to another job where he or she can get more attention. Of course, all work places are different, but let me tell you, where I work there is absolutely no tolerance for anything at all. Calling in sick, arriving at work late, not doing your job exactly right, not ironing your uniform, or having a dirty spot on it, talking back to the managers, receiving a phone call at work (unless it is an emergency), all such things and much, much more are considered "offences". You get written up for an offence and you lose a shift the next week. You can only get written up twice, the third time you're fired. Just yesterday and today, I had to fill in for two of my co-workers. They got written up and lost a shift for forgetting to put ice on the lobster tails in the cooler. I have been working at that place for a year and a half now, and other than me, there are only 9 people still there of the 30 people who worked there when I started my first shift. Some quit, but most were fired for "offences". This might seem extreme, but the pay is better than good and when you work hard, they definitely show appreciation. Not that I agree with such strict rules, but I do have to admit (reluctantly), that there's a lot less bullshit than at other places where I've worked.

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

Sometimes you can spot a potential hell employee in the interview. I never hire anyone that is very negative about their previous employers, regardless of their experience. There are ways to polite articulate why you left a company without being an ass about it. Never hire anyone that blames others for their short comings...etc..etc...And...TRUST ME ON THIS!!! Never hire anyone that tries to convince you in the interview that the way you are doing things are wrong, and they can save you....hahah.

I think sometimes employees from hell are created by management from hell. At least the weak ones, hahah. I have worked for a few boneheads...and really hated it when I was given responsibility for a project, but none of the authority needed to complete it. I was young and immature, and really let it effect my attitude. It took me a few years, probably my mid twenties, really to finally figure out that I couldn't let bad work enviroments, co-workers, bosses, etc., I couldn't let it allow me to be less than professional. I either had to find a way to make it work, or leave for greener pastures.

It is sometimes possible to help employees from hell transition into good employees, but I wouldn't waste a great deal of time on it. If you reach out, and give them chances to work on projects to prove themselves, and they don't take it, they are not worthy of working for you. Fire their butts. There are a lot of good people out there that are ready to step up to the plate.

The say having a job is a right in this country.Well, I feel everyone in this country has a right to apply and get fair treatment when being considered for employment. But a job is really a privilage. If you don't live up to your responsibilities, you don't deserve the job.

Okay...it is late...time to put the soap box away.

=)

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

These are all very interesting stories. The sad fact is that most of us have to work. Unless you work for the government and your job has a "description" you probably work for private enterprise and they make up the rules as they go along. This is not good. Abuses of every kind creep in. You may get lucky but generally it is not a humane place to be nowadays. If you are a good worker you get taken advantage of unless you speak up for yourself. You will make some enemies along the way no matter what you do.

I have worked with dubs and "worldly" people. They can be equally bad.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

The employee I am talking about does her job well; when she does it. Another thing that makes it difficult is finding qualified employees. It took me nearly 5 months to find a qualified employee to fill a vacant position. There are not many job applicants and most of the ones I get have no experience at all doing this kind of work and it is a field where there are not many new people coming into it since the healthcare industry has abused the profession. It is work that has to be kept up daily and attendance is important as well as keeping up. If a nurse in the clinic is absent, they get a float or somebody to fill in the position for that day but if someone in my department is absent the work just piles up until they get back and then we get behind.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit