Wife arranging for me to study with a brother! I need a plan!

by M.J. 48 Replies latest jw experiences

• M.J.
    M.J.

Here's the situation. My wife couldn't answer some deep issues I've raised regarding a few of the WTS's teachings and dishonest representation of historical sources. Naturally, she attributes her lack of answers to her own lack of research and knowledge. So she has suggested I study with some superbrother who happens to be a local scientist

Overall I think this is a good thing. But I want to best utilize this opportunity. I could either play it safe and study alone with this guy and tell my wife how things went. In return I could have my wife sit down with some people from various denominations as suggested to CYP in another thread. Or I could try and play "stump the chump" with my wife present, which carries its own risks and possible alienation of the wife.

I've never really had a discussion with an authoritative type from the JWs. So I ask you folks with experience. Is it best that I just play it safe, studying with him on my own and using it to simply build bridges with the wife? Or would I be passing up a great and FEASIBLE opportunity to show that even a superbro doesn't have all the answers? Thanks for any input.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

It sounds like torture to me.

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

Why not study alone to asses his abilities. Once you think it is safe, then bring your wife in?

Why can't you do both?

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

From another thread.

I actually am thinking of using a different twist to the "stump the chump" approach. I was thinking of doing it without my wife present. Then when my wife asks me about the study afterwards I will tell her what the questions and answers were. I think this might be more effective because I feel if she is present it would be easier for her to choose sides and put up her jw shield. By asking me she is naturally going to be more receptive to what I tell her. She won't be in cult mode so much. I may be wrong. Just a theory.

The additional benefit to this method is that if you catch a brother who is pretty good, he might kick your ass! By using my method you could limit your wifes exposure to your ass kicking. I think seeing a brother whip my ass would really reinforce her idea that I don't know what I am talking about, and that there is really nothing to this apostate stuff. A single incident could provide her all the cover she needs to write off anything else I might bring up.

• M.J.
    M.J.

woah, CYP, can you provide a link to that thread? That's pretty much the way I've been leaning.

Yes, my tentative plan was to simply meet with this guy alone. Then determine where to go from there. Still, I don't know what to go over with this guy either. Perhaps we could just go over the Knowledge book and I could take pot-shots at it as we go. Or I could suggest specific topics. I'll have to decide.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

If you don't believe what the WTS teaches, then why study it?

If your object is to convence the SuperDub that he is wrong, then you are going to spin your wheels. He knows he is right because he knows he is right. End of story.

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

Some more thoughts on "Stump the Chump"

As we all know, dubs are not dubs because they necessarily believe what the org says. They are dubs because it fulfills a need they have. Security, order, guilt, whatever.

As we all also know, there is absolutely no point in bringing up criticisms of the org unless the dub in question is actually open to the idea.

Is your wife open to criticisms of the org in a way that could realistically cause her to question her faith in the org?

Do you have a reason to think this? Is it realistic or could you be blinded by hope?

Those are rhetorical questions, but I think you need to ask yourself them.

I think you might have only so many chances at "Stump the Chump". You want to do it at the right time.

If you are sure the time is now, let's think of a list of subjects that you can go through each time. Ask the questions. Give the chump all the time in the world to answer them.

And set him up with your questions.

Example,

Q: "is it true that the jw predicted the end of the world?"

A: "JW never said it would happen for sure, the dates were only put out as a possibility."

Response: "But here in the 1925 Watchtower it says that it is a certainty and chronology is from God not man!"

You get the idea. Game-Set-Match.

This is a cross-examination. You must plan every question, and anticipate every response. And as any lawyer will tell you, you never ask a question that you don't know the answer to.

MJ, I know I already said some of this, it was more for the benefit of the current conversation.

• M.J.
    M.J.

The main thing I care about is opening the eyes of my wife. If studying with this guy serves that end purpose in any way, I'll do it.

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/7/90469/1.ashx

It is about the local clergy letter I told you I was thinking of writing. I actually just emailed this link to you before you started this thread.

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

The main thing I care about is opening the eyes of my wife. If studying with this guy serves that end purpose in any way, I'll do it.

I hear you. If you think she would be receptive, and you think you can kick this guys ass, I say go for it.

Make sure you don't come off like a jerk. No end-zone-celebration-spiking-the-football type stuff. Although it would be alot of fun.

(said while standing over him and kicking him in they arse and stuffing a crumpled watchtower in his mouth)

"Who's the apostate agent of Satan now beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeotch!"

Sorry, I just couldn't help developing that mental image. It was to fun!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit