My mom and her Ministry School talks

by Mamacat 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Mamacat
    Mamacat

Oh, Blondie, sometimes she spends more time explaining to me what the talk is even about because I don't remember the subject manner at all. I ask her tons of questions to determine what she is even talking about...and I think it helps get her mind going. She also had to read the scriptures to me because I forgot where I put the bible she gave me.

It seems she just rewrites what the reasoning book says anyway because last night she read to me from the reasoning book, and it was almost exactly the same as her talk...just she expanded on it a little, read the complete scriptures, and added an illustration. I never did my talks like that because I liked to use my own words to make it sound like something I would actually say.

There are a few other family members in her congregation, and I am sure she has some sisters she is friendly with there by now. She's been there 2 years, and she auxillary pioneers sometimes, so she should know some people to help. I don't think it is a very large congregation (maybe 60 people or so) Of course, she butters me up with the "You have always been so smart" conversation...maybe she is just embarrassed to ask someone else. Next time, I think I'll suggest that she talk about it with someone at her hall, and see what she says.

• blondie
    blondie

mamacat, I think she is using this as an opportunity to "plant a seed" or keep a WT in with you. Just tell her she can get better help from the school overseer or a sister in her congregation. I have helped many JWs over the years (when I was a JW) to set up a talk. Doing it for them is dangerous if it is every time.

I can remember being told about a brother in a neighboring circuit who always had his wife do them (and he was an MS). Then she died and he was lost. Finally, the elders assigned another MS to do his talks for him. Sad situation.

Be firm but kind. Ask her what sister she thinks would be best to ask. Ask her why she thinks she would be a good person to ask. Then suggest that you hang up and she call that sister right then and there.

Blondie

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

mamacat, I hope you post here after her next request and tell us that you stood up to her. It sounds like you love your Mom and have a good relationship, but...why are you letting her manipulate you with this? I work in a small office and there was this nice, kind of weird guy who would bring his poetry to the lady who used to have my position. She'd type it up for him, just took maybe 20 minutes. Well, sure enough he came after she left, asking me if I could do the same. Being the nice person I am, I did it. Hmmm...a few weeks later, here he came again.

I finally asked myself, why am I doing this if I don't enjoy it, I don't have the time...and it is my work time, not personal time anyway. So next time he came, I politely told him that I was sorry but I didn't feel comfortable typing them for him. He seemed OK with it and I felt good for speaking up. I urge you to do the same with your mom....As a friend of mine says:
    put your foot down but don't let her step on it!!

AuntieJ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit