Jer. 29:10 -- Dr. Ernst Jenni replies to Leolaia and Scholar

by Alleymom 76 Replies latest watchtower bible

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Scholar,

My Biblical Greek discipline is very good, my Hebrew perhaps rudimentary at best, but my ScholarSpeak is perfect. Let me give you an example of my prowess in SS translation :

I suspect with all the linguistics posted on this subject and Jenni's opinions that this is a very complex linguistic matter and that the NWT is fully correct.

This statement is correctly translated in ScholarSpeak as :

Regardless of all the insurmountable Hebraic evidence shoved down my throat on this thread, I will continue to be loyal to the WTS and its NWT.

The word 'shoved' of course is used with an onomatopoeiac stress attached to it and could as readily be translated as 'jammed with steadily increasing force', but there are at least 607 versions of this word in all its nuances.

HS

• OldSoul
    OldSoul
    Quite simply Marjorie, you are not discussing this issue with a man, you are discussing it with an agenda who happens to have a man attached to it.

I shouldn't wonder aloud whether it is a rather smallish and inadequate agenda, should I Hillary_Step?

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

I read scholar referring to a Hebrew scholar Benjamin Kedar in his using the NWT for its performance in vital linguistic and exegetical services.
    So I did a search on his reference and came up with the following below. It?s siad to be a response letter he sends if queried on the quote refered to by the WTBTS. Does anyone know any more on his position? Or, on the validity of the letter.
    Steve.

Since several individuals and institutions have addressed me concerning the following matter, I make this statement; henceforth it will be sent instead of a personal letter to anyone appealing to me to clarify my position.
    Several years ago I quoted the so-called New World Translation among several Bible versions in articles that dealt with purely philological questions (such as the rendition of the causative hiphil, of the particple qotel).
    In the course of my comparative studies I found the NWT rather illuminating: it gives evidence of an acute awareness of the structural characteristics of Hebrew as well as an honest effort to faithfully render these in the target language. A translation is bound to be a compromise, and as such its details are open to criticism; this applies to the NWT too.
    In the portion corresponding to the Hebrew Bible, however, I have never come upon an obviously erroneous rendition, which would find its explanation in a dogmatic bias. Repeatedly I have asked the antagonists of the Watchtower-Bible who turned to me for a clarification of my views, to name specific verses for a renewed scrutiny. This was either not done or else the verse submitted (e.g. Genesis 4:13, 6:3, 10:9, 15:5, 18:20 etc.) did not prove the point, namely a tendentious translation.
    Benjamin Kedar

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

The NWT's bias is not the root problem. Elite sectarianism is. The Wt was just as cultlike when it used the KJ bible.

• scholar
    scholar

Narkissos.

In support of the NWT's rendering of 'melot' as 'the fulfilling' I draw your attention to the commentary on Jeremiah by Jack Lundbom wherein it states:"when according to the completion for Babylon; KB (Kohler & Baumgartner) translates lepi melot' as soon as the time has passed'. Jeremiajh 21-36, Vol.21B, Anchor Bible Series,2004, p.353. This indeed solves Leolaia's problem that something of a duration of seventy years came to a conclusion at Babylon.

scholar JW

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    In support of the NWT's rendering of 'melot' as 'the fulfilling' I draw your attention to the commentary on Jeremiah by Jack Lundbom wherein it states:"when according to the completion for Babylon; KB (Kohler & Baumgartner) translates lepi melot' as soon as the time has passed'. Jeremiajh 21-36, Vol.21B, Anchor Bible Series,2004, p.353. This indeed solves Leolaia's problem that something of a duration of seventy years came to a conclusion at Babylon.

Indeed.

There is no problem in translating the infinitive, in both Leviticus and Jeremiah, either by a substantive (or noun) or by a finite verb: this is only a stylistic issue in the target language. As you know this is not your real difficulty with those texts.

• Alleymom
    Alleymom

Neil ---

And I draw YOUR attention to what Lundbom said just a little further up on the same page.

10 When Babylon has completed seventy years before me. I.e., when Babylon has served Yahweh as a world power for 70 years. The specified period, which is a round number and no more, refers neither to Judah's exile in Babylon not to Jerusalem's uninhabitation, both of which were considerably shorter.

Marjorie

• Alleymom
    Alleymom

Neil ---

As long as you are quoting from Lundbom, let's take a look at some other things he said:

On page 20 he gives his translation of Jeremiah 29:10:

For thus said Yahweh:
    When Babylon has completed seventy years before me, I will attend to you and confirm upon you my good word to bring you back to this place.

On page 249, commenting on Jeremiah 25:11, he writes:

The 70 years here and in 29 10 refer not to the length of Judah's exile or to "Jerusalem's desolations" but to Babylon's tenure as a world power.

Marjorie

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

Okay. Obviously you need to skip Hebrew. Let me clue you into a trick in English, on which I am something of a scholar, if that is possible, given the wildly transitory nature of this language.

You actually highlighted the correct terms. YOU boldened the pertinent points which strengthen the case of Narkissos, Leolaia, and Alleymom. TEMPORAL CONCEPT (x years) FOR Babylon. It was not translated as a temporal period spent at a location, but as a temporal period given over to an entity, in this case a ruling world power personified.

Now, will you prove that you have as much difficulty with your mother tongue as you have with Hebrew, when it means giving over the thinking of the WTS?

Oops! I meant:

Now you will prove that you have as much difficulty with your mother tongue as you have with Hebrew, when it means giving over the thinking of the WTS.

Proceed.

{edited} I see AlleyMom had the same train of thought. I will just watch from the sidelines, as any one of you "out-scholars" me. Well, with the obvious exception...

• Alleymom
    Alleymom
    Scholar to Alleymom:

Your personal translation of Jeremiah 29:10 is important becsause you read and understand Hebrew and you do not have to be a scholar to do this. The matter at hand should be rather simple because a little preposition is involve and you simply have to carry that little meaning into English. I have checked many commentaries on this passage and not one commentator has raised the matter of any exegetical difficulty. So , it should be a straight forward transaltion but you to be either incapable or unwilling to do this. I suspect with all the linguistics posted on this subject and Jenni's opinions that this is a very complex linguistic matter and that the NWT is fully correct.

Neil ---

Incapable or unwilling? I gave you my opinion the other night.

In my message #423 I said:

I read Hebrew and studied it at the university level (many years ago), but I am not a Hebrew scholar. Why would you value my opinion on this when you can consult the opinion of real experts in the field? However, since you did ask, my opinion is that the ordinary and expected way to say "in" Babylon would be to use the Hebrew preposition "beth" rather than the preposition "lamed". It is very, very common in Biblical Hebrew to see the expression "b + placename".

You want Jeremiah 29:10 to mean:

"Jerusalem will be destroyed in about ten years. And seventy years after Jerusalem has been destroyed, when seventy years of exile have been completed for the exiles-to-come, who are now still in Jerusalem but who will join you at Babylon after Jerusalem has been destroyed, then I will visit you (and the exiles who will join you) and fulfill My good word to you (and to the exiles of the future), to bring you (and the exiles of the future) back to this place."

But that's not what the Hebrew text says. It doesn't say anything at all about Jerusalem being destroyed.

You want it to say "at Babylon" so as to construe the verse as speaking about the time the exiles spend in captivity in Babylon. But you ignore the fact that the letter is being written to the thousands of people (including the king, the king's mother, the nobles, the craftsmen, etc.) who are already there, along with the sacred vessels which have been taken from the temple. For all of these thousands of people, who would surely seem to count as the most important of the exiles, the period of captivity is not going to be 70 years, but roughly 80 years. So by insisting on "at Babylon," you are distorting the plain meaning of the letter, which was a promise to the exiles who were already there.

I said: the ordinary and expected way to say "in" Babylon would be to use the Hebrew preposition "beth" rather than the preposition "lamed".

If you read Hebrew, you would find that this is a very, very common expression. The preposition b + placename means "in" or "at" a place. But the text does not have b + placename, it has verb [mel'oth - qal infinitve construct] + l + placename. Your own source, Jack Lundbom, says the 70 years refers to Babylon's tenure as a world power.

You said:

I have checked many commentaries on this passage and not one commentator has raised the matter of any exegetical difficulty.

Well, Neil, doesn't that tell you something? Commentators love to discuss the difficult passages, those which are notorious "cruxes". The fact that you have checked "many" commentaries and "not one commentator" has said there is "any exegtical difficulty" or disagreement means that your suspicion is incorrect:

"I suspect with all the linguistics posted on this subject and Jenni's opinions that this is a very complex linguistic matter ..."

It's not a complex linguistic matter at all. The only reason that people here have been posting details of Hebrew grammar is because you keep insisting that all of the modern translations and all of the scholars and commentators are wrong.

That you would continue to say this when you have now heard from the man who is the world's foremost authority on the use of the Hebrew preposition (and when you yourself admit that after consulting many commentaries you have not even come across a hint of exegetical difficulty in the verse), seems to indicate that your adherence to the NWT is fideistic and not based on scholarly grounds.

Marjorie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit