The Second Amendment

by Englishman 81 Replies latest jw friends

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Then you claimed you said:
    Didn't I even say, "I also seem to recall reading that a related motivation was that people could protect themselves from their own nasty government

So, to answer your question ... NO, You didn't say that at all !!

Huh!! Alan said:

As I understand it, the main purpose of the 2nd Amendment was not simply to allow people to bear arms to hunt and such, but to be able to protect themselves from nasty governments such as the British they were in the process of fighting. I also seem to recall reading that a related motivation was that people could protect themselves from their own nasty government -- which is not such a bad idea

Jst2laws

• Heatmiser
    Heatmiser

"What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance. Let them take arms." - "Thomas Jefferson, Famous Gun Nut".

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - "The Dali Lama, Famous Gun Nut".

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." - "Mohandas Gandhi, Famous Gun Nut".

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

http://www.kidport.com/RefLib/UsaHistory/AmericanRevolution/DecIndWords.htm

IN CONGRESS, JULY 4, 1776.
    THE UNANIMOUS
    DECLARATION
    OF THE
    THIRTEEN UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

WHEN, in the Course of human Events, it becomes necessary for one People to dissolve the Political Bands, which have connected them with another, and to assume, among the Powers of the Earth, the separate and equal Station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's GOD entitle them, a decent Respect to the Opinions of Mankind requires that they should declare the Causes which impel them to the Separation.

We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed, by their CREATOR, with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these Rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the Consent of the Governed, that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its Foundation on such Principles, and organizing its Powers in such Form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate, that Governments long established, should not be changed for light and transient Causes; and accordingly all Experience hath shewn, that Mankind are more disposed to suffer, while Evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the Forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long Train of Abuses and Usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object, evinces a Design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their Right, it is their Duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future Security. Such has been the patient Sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the Necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The History of the present King of Great-Britain is a History of repeated Injuries and Usurpations, all having in direct Object the Establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid World.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Has "America" been "Hijacked"?

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Englishman,

While I do not own guns and have no use for them I do not see gun ownership as the problem. Canadians hunt and own a lot of guns yet they firearm/homocide rate is a fraction of the US. There is something else wrong in the US rather than the second amendment or even the allowance of concealed weapons. Personally I think is it linked to the level of fear the fundamentalist religions impose on Americans. Fear, distrust, justification of violence comes from religious idiocy.

Simon,

You made some interesting points.

Steve

• donkey
    donkey

Those who lobby to protect the second amendment are purely silly when they try to say it means "only rifles or only shotguns but not handguns".

Arms are arms and include weapons such as rifles, shotguns, handguns, nuclear warheads, f15 fighters, nuclear subs.

It is the lack of candor and propensity for bullshiznit that keeps the debate going. Its plain and simple: if we keep the amendment allow ALL arms (aka weapons)....else lets toss the silly thing (which I am in favor of) and allow local law for each community to be the rule of the day. Of all the amendments I find the second to be the most indefensible when we try and add constraints that quite simply in the constitution.

God I hate lawyers!!!

Donkey

• AlanF
    AlanF

Simon, since you don't seem to have enough sense to know when to leave well enough alone, I think that a more detailed response is in order.

For one thing, I think you need to try to write thoughtful posts when you're sober. I mean, you tell me:

: Alan, with respect, you are talking cobblers:

How is it that you say you can recognize when someone is "talking cobblers" but can't do so when you do it? Intellectual myopeia? Or too much alcohol?

: You said:

:::: but to be able to protect themselves from nasty governments such as the British

: Then you claimed you said:

No, I didn't claim I said that. I said that.

:: Didn't I even say, "I also seem to recall reading that a related motivation was that people could protect themselves from their own nasty government

: So, to answer your question ... NO, You didn't say that at all !!

Of course I did. Read my post dated "08-May-05 14:29". And don't go messing with the posts -- I've recorded everything. Perhaps by the time you read this response, you'll be sober enough to understand it.

Now let me explain what I had in mind in my first post, in more detail, so that now that (hopefully) you're sober, you can understand my intent.

My intent, along with seriously answering Eman's post, was to slip in a fun poke at governments generally, by using the term "nasty" for the two I mentioned. By using that term, I had two things in mind: First, I thought it was obvious that my comment could be viewed as being from the viewpoint of the people who wanted to "protect themselves" from the entities they viewed, or could view, as the two nasty governments. Second, I thought it was obvious that my comment could be taken as my own view of the two governments. But I didn't say one way or the other. In other words, I played on what I thought was almost trivially evident ambibuity. I also played on what I thought were common views of the British and American governments, respectively under the administrations of Blair and Bush, i.e., that they are now, and often have been, "nasty" in any number of ways. In other words, I attempted to introduce some dry humor through obvious ambiguity into my serious answer to Eman.

How is it that you, a Brit, have so little sense for dry humor?

God, I hate having to explain humor to someone!

Now, as for the points you made:

I fully agree that the 2nd Amendment needs some common sense interpretation. However:

: It was never meant to mean that some red-neck can own assault riffles and carry consealed weapons but it did refer to having an armed populace to defend against nasty governments ... their own.

No one can know what the intent of the Constitution's writers would have been if assault rifles were available back then. After all, standard military weapons were rifles and pistols -- and they put no limitations on the kind of weapons covered by the 2nd amendment. Indeed, I think it can be reasonably argued that if assault weapons were the typical military weapons of the day, the founding fathers would have demanded that all those who fought against the British have them. As for concealed weapons, I don't think this was an issue until much later in the history of the U.S., when many became alarmed at the havoc created by use of them, and government sought ways of limiting the carrying of weapons without violating the 2nd amendment.

But I think that your outrage is not limited to carrying concealed weapons or assault rifles. I think you'd be equally horrified at the thought of people today carrying unconcealed pistols, say, like is portrayed in American Westerns and in the Italian Spaghetti Westerns, right?

: Like the freedom of speech though it becomes corrupt and people start trying to use it to allow anything - swearing, hate speech, advocating pedophilia and the like.

I tend to agree.

: None of the things that it was meant for (politcial expression).

Again, what the founding fathers of the Constitution would have had in mind if they had access to knowledge of what exists today is unknowable. To claim to know is just talking out of one's ass.

AlanF

• TD
    TD

Englishman,

Maybe this will help.

The 2nd ammendment does not confer the right to carry a concealed weapon. In *some* states, (Mine for instance) you can be issued a permit to carry a concealed weapon by agreeing to a thorough background check, attending class and passing written, oral and proficiency examinations.

Holding a CCW is a privilege, not a right and like all privileges, it can be taken away.

Many other states have no such provision and consequently private citizens may not legally carry concealed weapons under any circumstances.

A few states, (e.g. Maryland) have outlawed ownership of handguns completely. This in my opinion, is argueably a violation of the 2nd ammendment, but as I hope I have explained, that is a separate topic.

Tom

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I believe that the Right to Bear Arms was put into place to keep the people on fair ground with the government for the purpose of keeping the government in check. Basically the idea is to ensure that the general population has the ability to exert as much force as the state or federal government.

Unfortunately when this is applied to modern weapons it would mean that anyone could own their own nuclear arsenal.

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

MMMMMMMM....did someone say "Cobblers"?

On another note, it's my opinion that if the left wants to preserve any of the liberties that americans seem only too eager to give up, they need to find a way for it to fit into the NRA's agenda. I mean, any group who can successfully lobby politicians to not infringe on gun ownership at all while the country is in an uproar over terror prevention can do anything. They may as well crap gold bricks and I'd probably be less amazed. Did you know that people actually on the Terrorism watch list not only CAN but HAVE purchased weapons in this country since 9-11? It blows my mind.

Now, let me qualify this and state that I am a gun owner myself. I have two rifles that I use soley for punching small holes in paper targets at distances of up to 400 yd., so I have no real problem with legitimate sporting use of guns, but even I can see that somehow things have got to be brought under control. Congress last year repealed a standing law in the District of Columbia that banned assult weapons as well as "cop killer" ammunition, against the protest of the DC city officials. It's absolutely insane.

I guess there's just too much money for the politicians for there to be meaningful change.

Ern

• Simon
    Simon
    Huh!! Alan said:
    As I understand it, the main purpose of the 2nd Amendment was not simply to allow people to bear arms to hunt and such, but to be able to protect themselves from nasty governments such as the British they were in the process of fighting. I also seem to recall reading that a related motivation was that people could protect themselves from their own nasty government -- which is not such a bad idea

Jst2laws

Oops, missed that bit.

How is it that you say you can recognize when someone is "talking cobblers" but can't do so when you do it? Intellectual myopeia? Or too much alcohol?

I will admit a mistake and there is no need to throw personal insults ... although it's what you "do" isn't it? No one can disagree with AlanF ... they must be stupid or drunk ... is that how you imagine it works?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit