microphones were the last straw

by ivy 41 Replies latest jw friends

• ivy
    ivy

It wasn't the big stuff that made me decide I could never go back, it was one little thing. I have been thinking about my journey out of "the truth", and I think I can pin-point the last straw.

I had been out for years, but always thinking that if I got my head together someday I would be good enough to go back. In the meantime I went to college, an all women college. Sure, the education should have been enough, but while there I worked in the AV/media department. I was setting up PA systems for huge events, hooking up computers, I even soldered mic connections in the wall.

Then I accepted an invitation from my parents to attend a meeting, and I noticed that only men (boys really) were allowed to control the microphones. Being raised JW, I should have already known about this, but I had never paid any attention. I asked my parents and learned that this was a way that young JW men could work up the ladder. I knew at that moment that this was a religion that I could never live with, simply because they wouldn't let me set up the microphones.

In the bigger picture, I know microphones are silly, and Freud would have some opinions about the whole thing.

Anyone else with examples of being "stumbled" by the little things?

• FMZ
    FMZ

Ivy... my last straw was not being allowed to have a goatee.

Yep, hair above the lips is acceptable, hair below the lips is not.

Was such a small thing, but it led to my downfall (hehe) from the "Truth".

FMZ

• ballistic
    ballistic

Yes, I was stumbled by little things, like who was getting drunk in the borg. You know though that men are really better at electical things which women don't understand?

• FMZ
    FMZ

(ducks and covers) hehe

• professor
    professor

Yep. My wife says I'm not allowed to shave off my beard. So that counts me out right there.

• Bas
    Bas
    In the bigger picture, I know microphones are silly, and Freud would have some opinions about the whole thing.

Hey! My microphone is very important to me!

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Roger that,the roving mike assignments and "working up the ladder" was the way to get a better "rating" and get a better "rated" sister..

The elder (cult high disciple) who delegated the assignments OWNED you.

If you didn't get "responsibilities" you didn't get the share of the three P's.

What's the 3 P's?They are the the engine that drives all carnal cults like Jehovah's Witnesses.

The trifecta of the 3 P's:POWER,PRESTIGE and P***Y

There i said it,it's repulsive and it's the damn truth.I was a devout JW for ony one reason,to serve Jesus Christ my Lord and to see the world become a better place for all mankind and animals.

I was NOT in it for the 3P's.That's why im out.

Tell the truth and don't be afraid,Undaunted Danny

• squinks
    squinks

There was an incident that got me going on the road, it wasn't the final straw but it was that very important first straw.

After the meeting to formally disfellowship my formerly elder husband. I went up to the overseer and said, "Well I guess we can't go to Poland. Our family had been "chosen" to go on some trip to Poland to represent the U.S witnesses/visit those less fiscally fortunate. It was 1989. Anywho I had been through the most awful events possible during the previous weeks and my poor shattered brain focused on the trip.

The overseer said I can't really give you the answer, it wouldn't be proper. He walked over to my newly disfellowshipped husband and told him, with me standing right there that we couldn't go to Poland.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

my last straw was the 4 yrs my ex was df'd for adultry . other than the one elders meeting to find out what i knew of the affair, how long i knew, if i helped it along in anyway etc, the elders didnt counsel me, meet with me, call me, invite me and my kids into their homes for the 4 yrs, help me in ANY way .i learned the hard way that they are number counters and money counters and not loving shepards.

• squinks
    squinks

Candidly,

Me too!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit