Self-righteousness

by Vitameatavegamin 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• Vitameatavegamin
    Vitameatavegamin

Hello! I am brand new here. Just thought I would add my "two cents worth" as they say. I basically have become very hurt and feel so let down. I have been a JW for about 20 some years, never thought that I would ever be so bitter. I know that people are imperfect, and I try to be objective. But when you have been hit with the self-righteousness one to many times, you begin to wonder what really motivates people.

Last year was a rather hectic year. My husband had a heart attack and had to undergo bypass surgery,6 bypasses to be exact. The doctor said that there was a possibility that he may not be around to much longer if this wasn't done. In fact, they said that by the severity of his condition, he should have been dead! Well, long story short, he made it just fine and is fully recovered. But, 4 months later, he had a major accident on his job and was laid up again for about a month.

As you can see, a very stressful year for us. Consequently, my meeting attendance kind of slacked off. I was physically and emotionally drained. I just did'nt feel like going for a while. In the mean time, a friend of mine in the cong. came to my home about 2 months later and said that because we were not attending "enough meetings" they really could not associate with us. I just sat there, totally dumbfounded and speechless! She had a stack of printed info from publications at least an inch thick justifying they're reasoning. I asked her why? What had our family done that was that offensive? I said that you obviously know what we have been through, but that the meeting attendance would pick up. She then proceeded to tell me that"well, I can only go by what the society says" What is up with that!! Talk about kicking someone when there down.( as she was speaking to me, I had the flu and felt terrible). Her husband is an Elder by the way.

To conclude, this is just one of many negative experiences I have had over the years in this area. I think there is an underlying problem with some in congregations with people thinking that others must live up to they're own standards before you are considered acceptable in they're eyes. It seems to be a trend at times. I thought that being a christian meant just that-define the word- christ-like. Where is the christian in these " I am and you're not" attidudes. Looking forward to you're thoughts! Thanks.

• peterstride
    peterstride

Welcome to the boards Vitameatavegamin!

Unfortunately, the "loving brothers and sisters" in the congregation tend to leave people just when they need help the most. The moment you are down and out, they kick you on top of that, instead of following Christ's example of helping others, especially those that can use the help.

Your story moved me. Like you, I'm wondering...how can others in the congregation act like that? Very unloving, to say the least.

You will find support here among us posters!

Peter Stride
    Toronto, Canada

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Peter,

I want to add my welcome to yours, s'ok?

Hey Vita,

Welcome - and I'm sorry for your husband's health problems. Glad to hear he's mend well. Tough year. How's he doing emotionally? I hear that depression can set in after heart surgery, etc. Traumatic to the body.

As the the congregation - I agree with y'all. When a person goes to the meetings, service, etc., - we've got social friends. When we don't go - we don't got friends either.

I think a lot of jw's fall back on "agape" or "principled" love. I also think that really means that it can click on and off at will. Not a true love which "endures all things."

Welcome once again.

waiting

• Nicolas
    Nicolas

Welcome to the board. It seem that almost every experiences that we have in the WatchTower are the same. You are a good jw until for some reason, you have to go less often at the meeting. There's a lot of hypocrisy in almost every cong. Finally, I hope that the real god will help you to go out of this evil organisation. I wish the best for you.

• individuals wife
    individuals wife

Good to have you here with us, a very big welcome to you.

When I read your post I really felt for you, you have both been through such a traumatic time, a time when you really needed good support from those in the congregation and an acknowledgement from them that you were finding things difficult. I have found from experience that the majority of witnesses tend to lack real compassion and tend to isolate themselves from those in the congregation who may need extra support and help. I feel that you shouldnt have to go out looking for assistance - whether it be psychological or practical - it should come naturally to someone who professes to be Christian. It used to bother me that we used to have talks about how to love your brothers and sisters and how to make this love manifest. I always felt this love should be automatic in a true Christian congregation.

It's lovely to have you here amongst us!

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Welcome Vita!

I'm glad to see you posting here. You'll find a lot of great people with BIG hearts and interesting convos! I hope you stick around. I'm sorry to hear about your husband health. You'll both be in my prayers. Fortunately, I have met MANY good people in the "world" that have a lot of love for others. They actually live better lives than most of the JWs I've met. They walk the walk, so to say. I hope you are blessed with meeting some of those people as I have. Looking forward to hearing more of you around here!

Christian love,

Billygoat

• cathy4school
    cathy4school

Hi Vita: I read your story and I must tell you that your situation is alot like mine. I too was in the group for over 20 years but never baptized and did not do service work (didn't feel right pushing religion on others) so when my baptized JW husband was having an affair with another baptized JW ( which by the way, both did service time) I received no support or help from the congregation at all because I wasn't of any value to them. My husband left me and his children for the other witness and is now back in good standing with the JW"s and doing service time preaching how wrong adultery is. They supposedly got married which is a joke in itself and he has started a whole new life away from his family. I was told I was an evil person because I no longer wanted to attend meetings and associate with such hypocrites and all I did was ask for some compassion and support from the so called brothers and sisters. Take it from me you will get no support from any of them because their only objective is to go door to door and sell their magazines and if you cannot do so, then you are no part of them. Real Christian isn't it? ASk yourself one question--would Jesus have done such a thing to anyone, worldly as they put it or in the group? I think not. Cheer us and remember who you know in this world but what kind of person you are. God loves a true righteous person no matter what their belief is so long as they love Him. Good luck to you and your husband.

• Vitameatavegamin
    Vitameatavegamin

Just wanted to say thank you so much for all of you're words of comfort! I was suprised to see so many posts so fast! I did'nt fully realize that I would receive so much support. I guess sometimes it is just nice to know that you're not the one who is crazy. Nice to have people to understand and get some of this off my chest. There is more to come... so many weird problems I have never really spoken much of.

Again, Thanks to all and I look forward to more of you're comments.

By the way, husband is doing fine, thanks!

• think41self
    think41self

Hi Vita and Welcome

I LOVE your name. I am assuming you took it from that I Love Lucy episode. That one, along with the one where she set her nose (putty) on fire, were hilarious.

I am so sorry that yet another individual has been abandoned by their supposed brothers and sisters in their time of need. It highlights to us what truly "sheep like" people they are, willing to follow blindly without stopping to think about what they are doing.

I am glad your husband is doing better, and I hope you feel comfortable enough with us to share more of your life story. We care, and many of us can share similar experiences with you, as you've probably seen if you've read others stories in this forum. Welcome!

think41self

"When agnostics die, do they go to the great perhaps"?

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Hi, and welcome!
    My you have had a rough year. Don't worry about your meeting attendance, because they told me to leave unless I shaved my beard. Now how can I be unrighteous for wearing a beard? Any way I digress. I am glad your husband is doing well, and I hope you stick around. You will definitly meet some interesting people and learn us "apostates" are just ordinary good people.

"Hand me that whiskey, I need to consult the spirit."-J.F. Rutherford

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit