Any gardeners out there?

by Banshee 39 Replies latest social physical

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I have a rock garden if that counts......... My kids just got two african violets, so we shall see if we can keep them alive.

I really do enjoy my rock garden,,,,,,,I have quiet a few rocks I picked up in New Mexico and Denver, Co. It is so relaxing to put the rocks just so..... I would like to add a few plants , but taking that slowly as I hate to kill anything.....lol.

• Banshee
    Banshee

nicolaou: When I lived in Southern California, there was a great big fig tree in the yard. I loved having the dried figs and fig preserves...yum. Sounds like you derive a lot of peace and enjoyment from your garden--cool.There's just something about it, isn't there?

LyinEyes: Rock gardens are cool.....and I am sure you'll get the hang of gardening. You are doing the right thing by taking it slow. If you get too many things going at once, it could get overwhelming and lessen your enjoyment. Thanks for responding to this thread.

• fairchild
    fairchild
    I have one rosebush that is pitiful looking and I've been trying different stuff to perk it up

Make sure to prune it. I also had a rosebush which wasn't doing oh so well. I dug it up four years ago and cut the root in 4 pieces. Then I transplanted the pieces about 10 feet apart. I've never had better roses from that bush (which is now 4 bushes). I don't know if perhaps the roots were crowded, but it seemed that cutting the roots up like that saved the bush and made it thrive. I did the same thing with my bleeding heart, with the exact same results. I bought a single bleeding heart plant about 6 years ago. Each year I split up the roots and I have now bleeding hearts all over the place.

• ivy
    ivy

I think this post is a strange coincidence. I joined the forum to try to grow the soul (or whatever it is in me that has been stunted). This same year I tried gardening for the first time. I have five rosemary plants, two cherry tomato plants, two basil plants and four corkscrew vines. I've always thought my thumb was black, but so far things are going well. Thanks for the advice here. I never thought being a newbie at JWD would connect with being a newbie at gardening.

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

nicolaou: I just planted a fig tree a couple of weeks ago. You don't see many of those in this state. I bought mine from a place that sells only tropical plants. It just started getting eaves last week. I hope it gets figs... not sure what to do with them though.

We should all share pictures of some of our favorite plants in our gardens. =)

• liquidsky
    liquidsky

This is my 'lord baltimore' hibiscus. The flowers get 10" across. Blooms late july-august.

• fairchild
    fairchild

That is beautiful liquidsky!

• fairchild
    fairchild
    I did not know that I could plant all of those things so much before the first frost.

Oh oh oh my, you won't believe this one. The temperature last night was in the teens here in the valley. This is highly unusual for this time of the year. We usually get a light frost until the middle of June, but NEVER such a deep frost. I lost all my asparagus. They are not even supposed to freeze. I had the presence of mind to cover some delicate things, but never thought that asparagus would freeze. They are perennial and come up when they know it's time. Darn, I'm not too happy about this.

But let me confirm.. I didn't cover my cabbages, lettuce or peas. They all survived a night of deep frost, so don't ever worry about planting that stuff too soon, the frost won't hurt it.

• fairchild
    fairchild

Ohhh I'm on a roooolllll... I split up some more rose bushes today, after having such good results with that in previous years. The ones I split up last year just started to get their leaves this week, so I know they will be fine. I never really read anything about splitting up roots, I just tried it out and it worked. I'd suggest it to everyone else too. Instead of buying expensive rosebushes, you can multiply your own and it doesn't cost a dime.

• simplesally
    simplesally

I never throw my egg shells down the drain ......... I use them on my gardenia plants and flower beds to add calcium. Whenever my gardenia seems to not flower, the egg shells pick it right back up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit